Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is when they are available for order.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #58

Michelle made it sound like the second week of April is pretty much the standard timing when they have their in-house dealer rollout of the new floorplans and pricing. The following week is when she is allowed to share the information with the general public. Then dealers can start placing orders in early May. This is what I recall her explaining, but my memory is anything but a steel trap.
NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original)
dpeterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeterso View Post
Michelle made it sound like the second week of April is pretty much the standard timing when they have their in-house dealer rollout of the new floorplans and pricing. The following week is when she is allowed to share the information with the general public. Then dealers can start placing orders in early May. This is what I recall her explaining, but my memory is anything but a steel trap.

As long as it's not rusted shut life is good.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #60

HWH Active Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Thanks!
Red:

I have been reading with great interest your blogs on the installation of the HWH Active Air system in your 43. I am getting wrapped into a new thread for those building a 2014 DSDP by the same name:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2014...ar-158020.html

May I ask what the charge was for adding that? And now that you are a month out from having experienced it (doing wheelies at 45 mph notwithstanding), what are your thoughts? Is this a worthwhile expense for someone who may only be out on the road 2-3 months max?

Thanks

Phil

ps. also taking advantage of your insight on the A/V set up and may repost the link in the new thread if you don't mind....
RedBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Phil:

The Active Air system is around $10k installed.

My use of my rv is 6-8 weeks in the summer, and then 3-4 trips to Florida (from texas) each year, and then a lot of weekend trips.

I work full time and my kids are all in school, so we are no where near full time. Active Air was a luxury purchase, but then again, so was the DSDP.

As far as my opinion on the Active Air, I am going to elaborate more in the near future. At the moment I am having a technical problem with the Active Air, and don't want to put anything more on the board until this is resolved, then I can post the resolution at the same time as the problem description.

I have had my coach at the dealer for a number of issues since my last trip to Branson, and have not had a chance to finalize the AV setup and do a final blog entry on it. The shake down trip to branson (8 hrs each way) was a good trip. Let me find some problems both with my design of the AV setup, as well as problems the coach had.

AV Setup issues:

1) The wireless (IR) headsets I put in are 2 channel. Idea is that teenagers watch their show, and younger kids watch their show, while DW & I listen to radio and enjoy talking. The problem is that the location of the IR blaster is such that one kid can block the other kids reception, and cause issues. I am adding additional locations to resolve this.

2) The Internet Access point I installed (Globesurfer III) died after 4 years of faithful service. New parts ordered to be easier to maintain and cheaper. Will update the blog once installed

3) The bedroom Directv Unit lays flat on carpet in the overhead, causing overheat. Need to address ventilation back there.

Coach Issues:

1) Dash heater will not turn off. Bad valve

2) Dash AC had no freon. took to Freightliner who pulled a 15 minute vacuum, no leaks, then filled to 6psi. I thought that was high, and when I called Newmar they said 3.5 is max. So now it is at dealer for them to resolve.

3) Rooftop AC - I started a thread about this, and some had mentioned various methods to resolve. I started with trying the recall. The dealer could not find a recall, but did say all where loose. They tightened. Waiting to see if it is better or if I will do the next step of stuffing a barrier below motor.

4) Bedroom slide would not square up. This is a minor issue, only about 6 mm in one corner. Dealer says live with it...I may choose to press the issue more once I get it back.

5) The drivers seat has a hard spot in the right rear area that hits my tail bone when bouncing down the highway. This is hard to get the dealer to see, so I may have to look at it more to find something to positively identify.

While at the dealer, the active air developed a problem. I am currently working with HWH to resolve this, and only became aware of the problem Friday when I went to pickup the coach. There has not been enough time to determine what the exact cause is. Will update more once I know exactly what is going on.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #62

Thanks so much. A wealth of info here. Look forward to hearing about the resolution of the active air issue. I would think that as you are the "pioneer", at least with the current Newmar crowd, HWH will want to make sure yours is running smooth as silk. Is it necessary to go to HWH in Iowa for installation and resolution to any problems, or do they have service centers/contract locations elsewhere around the country. We're on Hilton Head. Long way to Moscow.

I'm also a current DirecTV customer so interested to see your A/V configurations.

By the way, I see that you're SW of Big D. My wife's sister and her husband own a dinner theater -- The Pocket Sandwich Theater -- up near Mockingbird. Fun place to go (and take the kids) especially around Christmas/New year! Let me know if you ever have an interest...tickets will be waiting. We retired from San Antonio about 11 years ago (I did M&A for corporate SBC Comm before we acquired the rest of and became AT&T again) and moved out here to gold and no-see-um heaven (those are bugs that come out and bite when the weather is perfect).
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #63

That would be GOLF and no see um heaven.....Although gold might be more appropriate when discussing the purchase of a DSDP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessman View Post
Thanks so much. A wealth of info here. Look forward to hearing about the resolution of the active air issue. I would think that as you are the "pioneer", at least with the current Newmar crowd, HWH will want to make sure yours is running smooth as silk. Is it necessary to go to HWH in Iowa for installation and resolution to any problems, or do they have service centers/contract locations elsewhere around the country. We're on Hilton Head. Long way to Moscow.

I'm also a current DirecTV customer so interested to see your A/V configurations.

By the way, I see that you're SW of Big D. My wife's sister and her husband own a dinner theater -- The Pocket Sandwich Theater -- up near Mockingbird. Fun place to go (and take the kids) especially around Christmas/New year! Let me know if you ever have an interest...tickets will be waiting. We retired from San Antonio about 11 years ago (I did M&A for corporate SBC Comm before we acquired the rest of and became AT&T again) and moved out here to gold and no-see-um heaven (those are bugs that come out and bite when the weather is perfect).
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a house on Sanibel..I know all too well what no-see-ums are...dang things.

As far as service goes, I can tell you that HWH is very easy to work with. The wealth of information that they are providing me (diagnostic procedures, wiring diagrams, email, phone support) is tremendous. I do not think that I am getting unusual support, as I have not placed a call to Paul, the owner.

I could take it to any truck shop and HWH will work with them, but I am electing to do this myself. I want to learn how to fix this, that way if I ever become stranded with no cell signal, I know more how it works.

Right now I feel 99% confident that I will be able to fix it, just waiting on parts.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
We have a house on Sanibel..I know all too well what no-see-ums are...dang things.
We also have sand spurs, mosquitoes & love bugs down here.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #66

And you are the IT Mgt Systems Guru

I can fully understand why you feel confident to fix that stuff. Nice web site. On the other hand I would never attempt such a project. Maybe you should transition from IT to RV A/V, electronic systems and computer related services and travel the country saving people like me from themselves!!

That's so funny. I was just emailing skmwalden (Steve) who just took possession of his 2013 4018 and has been mentoring me along the process of my DSDP purchase. He says your Sanibel condo is just twenty minutes from where he lives.

As he says, this is truly a small world...

Quote:

As far as service goes, I can tell you that HWH is very easy to work with. The wealth of information that they are providing me (diagnostic procedures, wiring diagrams, email, phone support) is tremendous. I do not think that I am getting unusual support, as I have not placed a call to Paul, the owner.

I could take it to any truck shop and HWH will work with them, but I am electing to do this myself. I want to learn how to fix this, that way if I ever become stranded with no cell signal, I know more how it works.

Right now I feel 99% confident that I will be able to fix it, just waiting on parts.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #67

Hmm, we just had our dash air recharged as well. I'm wondering if somebody forgot their job at Newmar.

Will be curious to find out more about your HWH issue.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Hmm, we just had our dash air recharged as well. I'm wondering if somebody forgot their job at Newmar.

Will be curious to find out more about your HWH issue.
Did they put in all the 3.5 or did it have some in it?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My HWH system is back in operation. I put all the detail in my blog, but suffice to say I am very happy with the system and the customer service.

HWH Active Air - First 30 Days - iRV2 Forums

HWH – Active Air System Failure & Repair - iRV2 Forums
Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #70

It was a full charge. They did a leak test and couldn't find anything.