Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan55 View Post
Just got a great deal on a brand new ventana, convinced myself it's worth the more $, convince my wife, slap down a large deposit, the next day call for insurance 3k a year that's a little higher than I wanted but I can live with it, call the tax assessor to find out about property tax and informed it will run about $13,000 a year!!#$%^

Doing the math this thing is going to cost me roughly $30,000 per year just to own.

Can someone please talk me off the ledge because in 10 years that will be 300,000........I'm starting to feel sick
Here is something simple and legal. Buy a cheap RV lot in FL. Anyplace in FL. We are in Port Saint Lucie and there are one or two unimproved lots here that they are trying to close out at $30 k.The builder is done and they want to close out. Wait six months after the date of your RV purchase, that way you pay no additional sales tax in FL, then come to FL and transfer the RV to FL using the RV lot as your address. Total cost for transfer is about $350 but the plate is $60 a year and there are no Property Taxes. Then send your old plate back to RI and get 5 months refund on you $13 k or about $5 k back.

You will have a nice place to come to in the winter and it looks like as they close out the lots here the value on the improved lots have gone up this winter. Win win.

I just did it with out any issues and am now taking my plate back to NC next week to collect 5 months of Property Tax back. Only $1,500 but better that I have it than NC have it.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post

Ridiculous to have to pay that much for a recreational item !!!
To me it makes much more sense to tax recreational vehicles, second homes, boats, etc at a higher rate than primary residences, or vehicles needed to take one to work.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Property tax on a vehicle??? Do you pay property tax on your cars as well? This seems completely wrong. I would have never even thought of such a thing. wnytaxman always has very good advise tho so i would listen to him and provide some more detail.

OK - 3.9 % excise tax, tag about $100 per year, and i would get a quote from GIEGO, i have max coverage (300k/500k/300k) with all the add on's i can get to include 10K trip and accessory coverage and i pay $1100 a year. I bet you can beat that 3K by alot.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #18

To the OP
1) The insurance quote is too high get a quote from Geico.
2) Are you sure that $13K tax isn't a one time fee?
3) If answer to last question is "it's every year" call this guy for a free consult.

Bennett Law Office P.C. - Bennett Law Office P.C.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Taxes is one of the reasons why I moved out of New England. I found after moving there that it was cheaper to keep fixing a 20 year old car then to own a new one. Property tax, road use tax, sales tax, income tax, on and on.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Understand the Remorse

My mindset evolved after buying the MH. First, I am excited about my final, final retirement now. Exploring the U.S. and Canada, not to mention Alaska is a goal I am excited about. Secondly, name a lifestyle/hobbies that does not cost, granted a MH is up there. I love the MH more and more and as I take it out, the remorse is now replaced by the excitement of memories and adventures for my future. Sure beats TV and the coach! Hopefully, the joy of your MH will be replaced by adventure/excitement rather than just a hole in your financial portfolio.

Best Regards,
Old 03-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You should have 3 days to change your mind and get your money back.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
That is horrible. If lifestyle would allow it, I would move! Perhaps make a friendlier state your "residence" and "visit" where you live now. Not sure if that helps, I like the "gifting" idea, but it is risky. My luck is my relative would get a bee in their bonnet and take my rig. Best of Luck to you. Guess I am fortunate in this one aspect to live in WA.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
How will your RV's value remain the same year after year?

Quote:
Doing the math this thing is going to cost me roughly $30,000 per year just to own.

Can someone please talk me off the ledge because in 10 years that will be 300,000........I'm starting to feel sick
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #24

Unhappy RI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaller View Post
What state is this? I want to make sure I don't move there!
Rhode Island
nathan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #25

sounds like you are referring to the sales tax/first year property tax fee, not the every-year fee. That's probably way lower than you are thinking. Don't worry, buy it and forget it.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Nathan, what state are you dealing with? Most states that have a property tax on RV's do so on a declining basis. Some states, such as Virginia may allow you to register and garage your rig in another county which may save you some dollars. Providing some more information would be helpful for many of us may have "been there and done that" which may provide some helpful insight.
Im dealing with Rhode Island. They tax me on a rate of 7% on the purchase OFF OF MSRP minus trade. Then yearly the town where is is registered in taxes me between 24-40$ per thousand ONCE AGAIN off of MSRP, it does depreciate thank God. Im looking at $14,000 sales tax then a motor vehicle tax yearly of between $8,400 and $14,000 depending on which town i register it in.
nathan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Im dealing with Rhode Island. They tax me on a rate of 7% on the purchase OFF OF MSRP minus trade. Then yearly the town where is is registered in taxes me between 24-40$ per thousand ONCE AGAIN off of MSRP, it does depreciate thank God. Im looking at $14,000 sales tax then a motor vehicle tax yearly of between $8,400 and $14,000 depending on which town i register it in.
Oh man! I was crying in my beer over $1200 registration in AZ. You need to move! The numbers you posted would make it darn near impossible for most to afford an RV That is out right greed on behalf of your state / town. Or they just don't want RV's in their state / town
Old 03-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #28

Wow!!! And I thought New Jersey was bad!!! We had to pay 7% sales tax, but our registration is $64.50.
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote