RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fiberglass roof cracks

While on the roof of my 2019 Dutch Star, I noticed some cracking near the raised cathedral roof. It appears as it could be from where they cut out for the raised cathedral roof. The cracks are on the lower portion

I dont know if these are anything to worry about, as they do not appear to be deep.

Would appreciate any and all comments. I do plan on sending this to newmar as well to get their official decision.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_091813.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	238387Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_103358.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	238388

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #2

fiberglass roof

Had some smaller cracks at a corner. Newmar said it was the clear-coat. They offered to replace the the bathroom roof but we decided that may be over kill. Self leveling Dicor was the solution we both agreed was the best. I check it twice a year. No problems so far.
Keep us posted.

Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #3

I have a similar crack in the front where the roof goes up over the front cap about 3 inches long in the corner. Looks like a surface crack. I put some clear silicone on it for now to see if it spreads.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes the fix is worse than the problem. Some things I had “fixed” under warranty at Newmar I wished I never had them touch. So use judgment as Newmar may be great in offering a fix or replacement but your problems may be worse after. The factory build is the best, from there things aren’t as solid or reliable IMHO.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Definitely a crack and not a deep scratch ? I would put a piece of duct tape at the ends of both cracks (not covering the uncracked part) so you can easily see if it spreads. Any movement when you walk on it? The idiots scratched my name in the bathroom cap with a knife, why use a pen or the bottom when you can scrach the surface with a knife.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Definitely a crack and not a deep scratch ? I would put a piece of duct tape at the ends of both cracks (not covering the uncracked part) so you can easily see if it spreads. Any movement when you walk on it? The idiots scratched my name in the bathroom cap with a knife, why use a pen or the bottom when you can scrach the surface with a knife.
Not certain it is a crack...it may be a deep scratch. Good idea on tracking spread.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Sometimes the fix is worse than the problem. Some things I had “fixed” under warranty at Newmar I wished I never had them touch. So use judgment as Newmar may be great in offering a fix or replacement but your problems may be worse after. The factory build is the best, from there things aren’t as solid or reliable IMHO.
Agreed

Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #8
BnB

X10 on the quality build and marginal factory repair folks - the customer service folks are probably good at some things too, customer service just isn't one of them. I too found what I would call 'spider web' stress cracks off both the awning arms where they attach to the fiberglass roof. This is fiberglass, their body/paint shop should be able to repair w/o replacing. When I had a Fleetwood that developed deep corner cracks off one of the slides, they did a great job repairing it. So I have an appointment in July to get this repaired and the last of the warrant issues fixed. After that I can't imagine what would ever bring me back to beautiful Nappannee.
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:42 AM   #9
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
X2^
Old 03-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

Looks like a fiberglass stress crack. Looks deeper than the paint.
I would track if the crack is getting larger.

Fix is to either relieve the stress (typically difficult) and / or to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, and then sand the crack till there is a slight bevel, fill the bevel with body plastic, prime, paint, clear.

Or, leave it alone (especially if it's not getting larger) and never look at that spot.

With a good body shop, it should be unnoticable when done. But the fix is involved due to the number of steps.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Looks like a fiberglass stress crack. Looks deeper than the paint.
I would track if the crack is getting larger.

Fix is to either relieve the stress (typically difficult) and / or to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, and then sand the crack till there is a slight bevel, fill the bevel with body plastic, prime, paint, clear.

Or, leave it alone (especially if it's not getting larger) and never look at that spot.

With a good body shop, it should be unnoticable when done. But the fix is involved due to the number of steps.

The roof is not painted, it is gelcoat that is sprayed into the mold prior to the fiberglass being applied, not that gelcoat can’t be sprayed, it’s just not as easy and skills are not as commonly found.
I’m pretty sure if my memory serves me, another member recently had similar cracks on their roof and Newmar’s proposed fix would have been to apply a aluminum patch and seal over the crack. Sometimes with Gelcoat finishes, to much gelcoat accumulates in areas of the mold, this thick accumulation has a tendency to crack and really is just cosmetic, hard to tell by the pictures but this may be the case. Just take a Sharpie and put a dot at the ends of the cracks.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
good ideas on tracking the progress of cracks. I will do that as well as document with a measurement / picture.

I am inclined to just use eternabond and forget about it.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
The roof is not painted, it is gelcoat that is sprayed into the mold prior to the fiberglass being applied, not that gelcoat can’t be sprayed, it’s just not as easy and skills are not as commonly found.
I’m pretty sure if my memory serves me, another member recently had similar cracks on their roof and Newmar’s proposed fix would have been to apply a aluminum patch and seal over the crack. Sometimes with Gelcoat finishes, to much gelcoat accumulates in areas of the mold, this thick accumulation has a tendency to crack and really is just cosmetic, hard to tell by the pictures but this may be the case. Just take a Sharpie and put a dot at the ends of the cracks.
Ah Yes, gelcoat. Forgot mine is gelcoat / not painted too. Still, it looks like the fiberglass was bent or a screw split the glass when attaching the cathedral roof extension.
Pretty much same repair technique though.
https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-re...gelcoat#page-9
Many shops end up spraying paint as it's easier to color match and blend than tinting the gelcoat. But, since the RV is new it shouldn't be too hard.

If it were mine, I would leave it alone.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #14

No Problem

I had many cracks on the radius of the roof by the awning, as Stuart said. I think a strong wind shook the awing before it could retract. Newmar offered to patch but aluminum was not appealing to me, another 6 grand from me to get fiberglass redone. Everyone (dealer and factory) said it was the gel coat, no problem for leaks. I decided not to panic, a and a half year later no problems ( I'm in Louisiana so it has seen rain) And you cannot see anything since it is above the awning. On the roof, dicor and forget about it!

Tags
fiberglass, roof