Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 11:12 PM   #29

One thing I forgot to mention. Ask for a second tank level display panel In the wet bay. The new tank level system is great. I wish I had thought to ask for a second display. It really comes in handy when you're filling fresh water or doing any of your other chores in the wet bay.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 11:58 PM   #30

Do you know if you can actually get a 2nd display?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:27 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Final Input Please? 2018 Dutch Star

Concur with earlier observation that “half slides” are far more useful than the full pass-thru slide since the chassis rails limit the height of what you can store in full pass-thru tray.

Also, get the RF Mogul Dish. I have had three Travelers and the RF Mogul costs a bit more but it is more versatile and a lot more rugged and easier to maintain.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
i don't think you can....

they save that for MA and up to help differentiate....

but definitely ask...as i agree it's a good idea....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
If Newmar won't install the 2nd display, you could ask if they would run the needed wiring during the build. Then you could purchase and mount the display and connect to the sensors or wherever it connects. I have heard of them installing almost any kind of wiring you might want as a special.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #34

Thanks

I had planned to install the SeeLevel system which required wiring etc. Then saw the new system and it looks like the SeeLevel system with it strips. I do want the wet bay display for lots of reasons. We will see if they will add another display. The display however is more than just the level. It has battery info.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
You can buy a wireless ultrasonic tank level monitor on Amazon. It’s designed for a fuel tank but for 100 bucks it might be good enough? I’m not sure why I would want one?
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Hey, I can hear you! I'm right here!

---

The LED lights on the end of the awning is cool. Def get the summit stainless trim package. I typically use a dyson portable but tonight used my central vac to do a pre storage cleaning and it's seriously powerful, get it! I've used it a few times now, I'd use it more if I could get my dog off the bed so I can get to the hose stuff easier!

As to the 2017 stereo, yeah, it's a huge step in the wrong direction in 2018, when the system is wired properly and better speakers are installed man it's awesome. But as others have stated, it's not going to happen. You don't get a receiver any more and the cabinet reconfig would not allow it. One of these day's, if not already, home theater will be all bluetooth so you'll be able to install your own with ease. I think the next bluetooth spec will allow much longer ranges so it will solve the problem of the past.

You'll find a dealer somewhere that has a "slot" for an order (stock order) and will put in your custom order in place of their stock order. Be prepared to a long time for the build, Newmar is backlogged and it's not getting better even though they are hoping to move to 10/day by year end.
The reconfiguration of the cabinet doesn't allow room for a receiver?? I missed that! Thank you Neal! The sound is very important to me. Although I do consider myself an audiophile and movie buff, I don't expect the sound to be exceptional, but it does need to be acceptable. Do you think it would be possible for Newmar to at least pre-wire for speakers in a "theater" configuration running to another cabinet that would be fit an aftermarket system? Any other suggestions? Thanks again for pointing this out. That would have been a MAJOR for me!
WeDigBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #37

Why not get Newmar to build the platform like the high end coaches and install the best sound bar available?

How does the Bose 300 sound in the high end coaches?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeDigBig View Post
The reconfiguration of the cabinet doesn't allow room for a receiver?? I missed that! Thank you Neal! The sound is very important to me. Although I do consider myself an audiophile and movie buff, I don't expect the sound to be exceptional, but it does need to be acceptable. Do you think it would be possible for Newmar to at least pre-wire for speakers in a "theater" configuration running to another cabinet that would be fit an aftermarket system? Any other suggestions? Thanks again for pointing this out. That would have been a MAJOR for me!
I'm not 100% sure, you should go look at a 2018 model somewhere, even if not the exact floor plan. From what I saw in the models in Sedalia was:

-In 2017 over the driver's seat was the A/V box. Over the passenger seat was the electronics control panel. In 2018 the electronics, controls, tank monitor, etc. is now over the driver's seat. Passenger area is now a cabinet.

-The A/V box is over the televator bay with a sound bar above it.

Ideas:

You may be able to put a receiver in the A/V box over the televator bay, I don't recall how big it is. Maybe someone here with a 2018 can measure theirs for you so you can see what would fit inside.

You could ask Newmar to install the 5.1 speaker setup from the 2017 config so at least you have speakers located with wires run AND a sub-woofer in place probably in the televator bay. If you're getting a jack knife sofa I suggest have them mount the sub-woofer under the sofa and NOT in the televator bay.

You could easily take that config, plumbed with the wires, and run with that.

I'm not sure what you care regarding Internet but if I did it over again, and I'm having this done by Newmar in November is to have ethernet cables run from the A/V box (for me it's over the driver's seat) to the dinette (floor area inside, and the bedroom A/V box. My roof mounted wifi ranger antenna drops into the A/V box which is fine. I then want to run ethernet from there to a better wifi router under the dinette, hence ethernet. And I want to plug my DISH wally box into the router for Internet access in the bedroom as it doesn't use wifi.

Moral is, even if they don't do it at build time you can have Newmar do just about anything later. The only problem with running speaker wires yourself is there are cross beam supports in the ceiling, don't ask how I know this, hence my November trip :(
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Let me know if you need measurements or pictures.
Neal, they have a thing out now called “wireless”.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #40

If you prefer a large double sink, check out the Mountain Aire stainless option. It's what we're ordering on our. DS 4369.
remurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #41

Spartan Chassis
Kim,

Have had our 4369 for a week. Love it .. Here are changes we made which might help you.

Changed overhead cabinets over dinette, so that the entire wall is same depth. Standard cabinets our dinette are only 7 " deep, and useless.
Added 2 tripod mount cables into AV cabinet above sofa. Will use them for DVR and internet connections at our site in Florida.
Went with Stainless Steel double bowl sink from Mountain Aire. Deep and nice.
We have dishwasher and it works fine. Wife happy, have not had smell issue in mentioned in other posting.
I purchased my own trays for pass-thru bay. Passenger side tray runs from side of coach to far side of driver side rail. Driver side tray is from side to rail. My dealer did install
We have the complete Girard package. We like the power window awnings allows them to be set at different heights depending on angle of sun.
Did complete chrome package, looks great.
There are 110/USB outlets on the side of both driver and passenger seats. Not sure why you have this listed as special.
You mentioned Sea Level System. The new Newmar system is great and is basically the same as Sea Level. I would like to have a monitor in wet bay but not a big deal
WE have a kitchen window..Must for my wife..They now offer a double window same as New Aire. Sort of wish we would have known.
Ran HDMI from AV to bedroom. Wish I would have included a coax.
We moved bedroom blue ray from the fake drawer front to the hanging closet about. This gave us the full drawer back and it is easier to get at components.
We just order an extra towel ring for kitchen for a hand towel.
Your wife will love pantry. Extra drawers on our list. Good idea...
I understand the 360 camera not very good on the small 6" navi screen. looks good on bigger screens on Essex and King Aire
I ordered and had dealer install Magna Shades both windshield and side windows love them.
Told the reason Newmar won't do Air Force One braking is they do not want to take business away from dealer.
I would order safe, we did. Don't know what I would have installed that would be been secured etc.
We did complete custom paint job and all interior floors and fabrics. Newmar good to work with on this.

Neal asked about AV cabinet over sofa. Plenty big enough for receiver. If you need dimensions let me know.

Kim, been just a week for us. Love our coach and quality has been outstanding. Really nothing on a punch list at this time.

Enjoy, good luck,
lagawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I'm not 100% sure, you should go look at a 2018 model somewhere, even if not the exact floor plan. From what I saw in the models in Sedalia was:

-In 2017 over the driver's seat was the A/V box. Over the passenger seat was the electronics control panel. In 2018 the electronics, controls, tank monitor, etc. is now over the driver's seat. Passenger area is now a cabinet.

-The A/V box is over the televator bay with a sound bar above it.

Ideas:

You may be able to put a receiver in the A/V box over the televator bay, I don't recall how big it is. Maybe someone here with a 2018 can measure theirs for you so you can see what would fit inside.

You could ask Newmar to install the 5.1 speaker setup from the 2017 config so at least you have speakers located with wires run AND a sub-woofer in place probably in the televator bay. If you're getting a jack knife sofa I suggest have them mount the sub-woofer under the sofa and NOT in the televator bay.

You could easily take that config, plumbed with the wires, and run with that.

I'm not sure what you care regarding Internet but if I did it over again, and I'm having this done by Newmar in November is to have ethernet cables run from the A/V box (for me it's over the driver's seat) to the dinette (floor area inside, and the bedroom A/V box. My roof mounted wifi ranger antenna drops into the A/V box which is fine. I then want to run ethernet from there to a better wifi router under the dinette, hence ethernet. And I want to plug my DISH wally box into the router for Internet access in the bedroom as it doesn't use wifi.

Moral is, even if they don't do it at build time you can have Newmar do just about anything later. The only problem with running speaker wires yourself is there are cross beam supports in the ceiling, don't ask how I know this, hence my November trip :(
Thank you Neal. That's what I needed to know. All I'm really interested in having the wiring installed at the speakers locations and having any small speaker installed for easier future replacement. The cross members are what was worrying me as far as a DIY install. I had always planned to replace the receiver anyway, so as long as the A/V cabinet is a minimum of 19" deep it shouldn't be a problem. I would also like to have some speaker locations wired elsewhere in the living and bedroom areas for even distribution of music throughout. I also want to see about integrating the bedroom speaker switches to play music in the bedroom from the receiver as well as from the dash radio, because I believe the switches only allow music from the dash radio at present? Thank you for this and your other tips!
WeDigBig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star