Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #1

Fingers Crossed, Tornado Coming!

Severs thunderstorms, high winds and tornado warnings coming right at us. Staying in Flagler Beach Florida watching the 'red' patch on the weather map.
Put the slides in and put the slinky away.

I was just outside and was surprised that none of the other campers around us have done anything. I still see satellite dishes and antennas up, slides out and I can see people watching the weather on their tv's.

Only a little rain so far, high wind gusts and lightning. I'll update if anything of note happens.

It's okay for a man to smell like bacon.
Italian Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #2

Hope all goes well. I've never experienced a tornado so cannot really relate to what you thoughts are. Can only imagine.
I can only say that you have as good a machine as it gets to get you through this.

Best of Luck.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It looks like you're going to be OK. Possible tornado near the World Golf Village, a bit north of you. It appears Florida fared better than Georgia.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
Community Administrator

It's coming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1485131670.324090.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	149794

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hope it passes everyone by without damage or injury. Do you have a shelter plan?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Looks like right now Palm Coast and just south of it is getting the worst of it so it is only missing us by a few miles. We are actually in Beverly Beach almost halfway between Flagler and Palm.
Awesome lighting show over the ocean though!

Old 01-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #7

We hardly got anything except for some wind at Chiefland, Florida.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I am also in Flagler Beach but sitting in my house. My sister is over at Bulow Plantation Resort as is another iRV2 member, SpaceNorman.

The worst is yet to come this next hour.

I use Fox 13 Weather Watch App and also their web site.

http://fox13now.com/weather/maps-and...ractive-radar/

Insert Flagler Beach into the location at the lower left hand corner.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

We're at the Escappes park in Bushnell FL. Lots of thunder and lightening. Some rain. hopefully we'll be heading up to I-10 west tomorrow.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #10

Best wishes and be safe !
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #11

Fingers Crossed, Tornado Coming!

Early on as an new RVer (16 months ago), someone on this forum passed along to me some sage advice. If you feel that you should bring in the slides, chairs, BBQ, etc, then go with your gut and do it.

We had a small tornado touch down 12 miles from us last year in South Dakota. It came up real fast. It was tossing 1.5 inch hail stones where it touched down. We had just made camp. I brought in the slides, and disconnected power, water, and sewer. I was ready to bug out if need be. What can I say, I'm a Southern Californian. We don't know much about tornados.

I took my cue from other campers. Their actions were all over the board. Most just stayed put. The guy next to me pulled in during all of the wind, rain, and lightening. I would have helped him hook up, except, for the nearby lightening. Momma didn't raise no fool.

A micro burst hit us briefly. We had 70+ mph gusts and some grape sized hail. A tree dropped three spots down from us. No real damage or injuries. So very glad that we quickly reacted as my gut dictated.

Glad that you are hunkered down and have taken steps to prepare for the worst. Keep an eye on the trees around you. Hope that all turns out okay for you guys.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #12

Looks like the worst has passed. Gonna put the slides back out.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some weather facts.. Tornados are the single most violent storm nature provides for our amusement.. Or destruction if you are in the wrong place.

But though fairly small Tornado has winds speeds that make a HURRICANE looks like a weakling... Hurricanes are miles wide, where as tornados are yards wide.

So even if there is a tornado near you.. Your odds are good. However.. They are still ODDS.. and you can improve them greatly by knowing where the designated storm shelter is and the rules for occupancy (IE: No pets).

And thus I recommend.

Also.. Something you can do that helps many, not just yourself.

Many Amateur Radio clubs (go to American Radio Relay League to find one near you) in conjunction with NOAA, offer "Weather Spotter" classes, usually just BEFORE the Tornado season.. have taken this class, and several updates (you do need to do updates)

They teach you what to look for, day or night, how to spot an approaching storm.. and WHAT TO DO WHEN THE STORM APPROACHES!!.

And if you are not a ham radio operator (I AM) they may even point you to the M-Ping app for your smart phone.. (Report the storm to NOAA).
Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #14

It amazes me that others would not secure their property/items with an approaching severe storm! Leaving those items outside to be blown around, and cause possible additional damage to others property is extremely ignorant !
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote