RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #1

I want to voice our thoughts and get your responses here, because we are really new at this and could use your experienced input.

As an introduction, we flew to Tucson and purchased our '02 Dutch Star October 1. We then drove it home to Sacramento, CA, and after loading it up with stuff we wanted to give to our family in the midwest, we began our "shake-down cruise."

First we went to Sioux Falls, SD for a brief stop to change our residence. Then we headed for northern Ohio and spent almost two weeks on our daughter's property there. After that, we made it down to Louisville/Clarksville and spent another two weeks with another daughter and her family. Finally, we headed back to CA... and managed to stay just ahead or in between all the bad weather throughout the entire trip!

It was a very successful journey, but more traveling than I care to do in such a short time in the future!! (We have put 6,000 miles on since we began in October!) It seems like most problems have either been worked out on their own, or were not really a problem but, instead, just our lack of understanding. However, there are a few things we do want to have looked at... plus, we would like to get the routine maintenance done before we head south.

Right now we are in Sacramento preparing to sell off our remaining "excess baggage" so we can dump the 'sticks and bricks' (a rental). DH was thinking of taking the motorhome to Camping World for the routine stuff while we're here, but I don't feel comfortable with that. Since we want to have some other things looked at (like a slide that keeps catching) it seems like a Newmar expert would be better... but who can we trust in this area...?

Whatever suggestions you have would be very welcome. Thanks, Ginger

Newbie Fulltimers
River Rovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #2

I want to voice our thoughts and get your responses here, because we are really new at this and could use your experienced input.

As an introduction, we flew to Tucson and purchased our '02 Dutch Star October 1. We then drove it home to Sacramento, CA, and after loading it up with stuff we wanted to give to our family in the midwest, we began our "shake-down cruise."

First we went to Sioux Falls, SD for a brief stop to change our residence. Then we headed for northern Ohio and spent almost two weeks on our daughter's property there. After that, we made it down to Louisville/Clarksville and spent another two weeks with another daughter and her family. Finally, we headed back to CA... and managed to stay just ahead or in between all the bad weather throughout the entire trip!

It was a very successful journey, but more traveling than I care to do in such a short time in the future!! (We have put 6,000 miles on since we began in October!) It seems like most problems have either been worked out on their own, or were not really a problem but, instead, just our lack of understanding. However, there are a few things we do want to have looked at... plus, we would like to get the routine maintenance done before we head south.

Right now we are in Sacramento preparing to sell off our remaining "excess baggage" so we can dump the 'sticks and bricks' (a rental). DH was thinking of taking the motorhome to Camping World for the routine stuff while we're here, but I don't feel comfortable with that. Since we want to have some other things looked at (like a slide that keeps catching) it seems like a Newmar expert would be better... but who can we trust in this area...?

Whatever suggestions you have would be very welcome. Thanks, Ginger

Newbie Fulltimers
Old 12-04-2007, 08:06 AM   #3

To; River Rovers,

Congrats ,on the new to you Dutch Star,

It would help others to help, if necessary, if you posted the particlars of your rig in the signature part of postings. This info is just entered once and will appear with each posting.

As you can see I have an 02 MADP and a lot of the components are the same.

My 02 had minor problems and because of this I have no thoughts of trading, maybe also because an 08 will price out at $467,000.

Waiting, with others, for your questions.

Thanks--- Aime--
Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #4

Aime,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm a little dumb about all of the particulars, but I looked on some paperwork and added what I could find and what I remember. Am I missing anything important?

Also, did my question about where to get routine maintenance and a few things looked at near Sacramento make sense?
Ginger

Newbie Fulltimers
Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by River Rovers:
Aime,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm a little dumb about all of the particulars, but I looked on some paperwork and added what I could find and what I remember. Am I missing anything important?

Also, did my question about where to get routine maintenance and a few things looked at near Sacramento make sense?
Ginger </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
-------------------------------------------------
The main items would be chassis related such as engine, tranny, axles, etc. If you got the maintenance documentation with the motor home then you could work from it to see what needs to be done. This work would best be done at someone like a Cummins Coach Care who can do the entire job or someone similar. For coach items, you would most likely want a Newmar dealer or some other RV dealer who would come recommended by posters.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #6

There was little documentation of past work. Exceptions would be work on leveling jacks, plus replacement of frig and toilet.

We need someone to look at our front slide, which keeps getting hung up. Our dash heater seems to be working off and on. And the water pump sounds pretty rough. Otherwise, we need to have the oil changed and any other routine items.

Newbie Fulltimers
Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a LINK for Newmar service that may help you. Did not see anyone in your area you would know that better.
When your slide is in get on the floor and look for four nylon rollers that travel under your slide make sure they are all fasten to the brackets they are attatched to and non of them are broken. Make sure the floor has nothing traveling under slide floor under slide should be clean and clear. Some times the locking bar will catch on side wall of outside wall.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 AM   #8

To; River Rovers,

Glad to see others responding to your questions.

As far as service;

I have always used Cummins Facilities or a Cummins/Onan authorized center. It may cost a little more, but they know thier products and less time diagnosing. The same with the tranny, I only use Allison authorized shops which are usually in a Detroit diesel shop.

As far as rig/coach problems, call Newmar customer service to find out where the best place in your area that can handle your problem.

I learned the hard way that saving a few $ by going to a "local, less cost facility, can cost 2-3 times the money to correct mis-diagnosed problems.

Hope this info helps and you and yours stay well.

---- Aime--
Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #9

John glad everything went well on you shake down cruise, don't forget to join the Newmar Kountry Klub.
The Newmar International Rally is going to be held in DoQuoin, Il. in 2008, like to see you there. Ed.S
Old 12-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Sacramento Truck is excellent for chassis service, also recommend Mello Diesel service in Modesto for engine/transmission service.
I have used Geweke RV in Lodi and Manteca Trailer and RV in Manteca both Newmar dealers. I have not used La Mesa in Davis but they are now&lt; I believe, full line Newmar dealer.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #11

Hey, Ronnie... Thanks for that info!

As first-timers who have never owned either a truck or an RV, it's kind of baffling as to what type of service we should go to just for regular maintenance. For example, would Sac Truck do the oil & lubes (including the gen)? Then the slide and toilet would be Gieweke or La Mesa for example? Also, the dash heater is not fully heating and the cigarette lighter has gone out. Is that a chassis job...? Obviously, I'm not very technical.
Ginger

Newbie Fulltimers
Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #12

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

John/Ginger, Sac truck definitely for oil/lube, generator, etc. They work on lots of motorhomes so the dash heater and cig lighter most likely is in their comfort zone...the toilet and slide you could ask and if NO then an RV dealership Geweke or Le Mesa. When you have your chassis serviced ask them to check torque on drive shaft U joints. Just a precaution.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #13

Thank you, Ronnie, for this information. That is very helpful!
Ginger

Newbie Fulltimers