Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Welcome to "jam the drivers seat club", once you have done it you can be at ease you will not forget it next time.
The slide motors will crush anything in its way, just make sure no ones hand is in its way when operating.
And that all your cats and dogs are out of the way!

I put a pillow behind the bed nightstand to keep our cats out. Forgot to take it out and now trying to replace the nightstand top and rebuild the rest of it!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tiffin got smart and mounted the wood trim on the slide behind the driver's seat with velcro.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #17

Let me suggest that you buy a spare breaker for your slide motors (on mine a gold colored rectangular relay in your bathroom fuse box) please don't ask how i know
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #18

BTW, here's what I do.

With no one sitting in the seat I adjust it backward until it's about 1/4" or more from touching the slide trim. I leave it there. If it were further back, it would rub while driving.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #19

When our beloved Lab Mix, Rosie, passed away we had her cremated. We planned to take her ashes to some of her beloved spots at a GA State Park. My wife left the plastic urn near the street side slide and unfortunately some of Rosie's ashes got sprinkled at the campground as soon as we arrived. She was a gentle girl and didn't damage our slide.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #20

Which is why I have a piece of paper taped over the slide button that I lift up when deploying the slide. Printed on it, Seat, Brace, and Propane.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #21

The other "oops" that I've done is removing items from the basement under the slide and leaving the doors open (without the safety up-stop chain). Then I move the slide and tear the molding (on the bottom of the slide) loose ....
Old 12-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #22

You might think that was a dumb mistake. I once heard of someone getting in one of the basement compartments while winterizing it. The wind blew the door closed behind me and closed it. No flashlight only a screwdriver boy was it dark in there. We tend to remember those mistakes and don't do them again. Only to do something stupid later.
Steve
Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
You might think that was a dumb mistake. I once heard of someone getting in one of the basement compartments while winterizing it. The wind blew the door closed behind me and closed it. No flashlight only a screwdriver boy was it dark in there. We tend to remember those mistakes and don't do them again. Only to do something stupid later.
Steve
Wow, that could've ended badly for you...er, that poor guy you heard about. Glad you got out with only a bruised ego. Memo to self; toss a rag over the edge of the basement opening so the door can't close all the way.

During the walk-through with our new-to-us coach, I was my usual "let's get it over with", self and inspected all basement doors, then went inside and asked about the slide operations. Salesman's head was probably spinning so he let me operate the main slide. Went out fine, but it wouldn't retract. It bound up. What the heck? Tried again, what the heck??

Then one of their mechanics leaned into the entry and politely asked us to extend the slide a bit so he could free up the basement door that had been given a new shape. That was a $500 learning curve I won't forget.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I can't count how many times I've done that. Also on my kitchen slide, I had a shredder that blocked the slide on one side. It was crooked. Thought for sure it was a goner BUT just closed it up and it evened itself out. Whew....
Old 12-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
My first error. I attempted to open the slide with the drivers seat back. I heard a clunk and stopped. Retracted, moved the seat. Slide is working ok, tried it in and out a few times. Inspected the mechanism, don't see anything unusual. Slide retracts with normal gaps. Some damage to seat material. Worried I damaged the slide mechanism. Ugh!
Ha! You sound like me! Welcome to that club! I ran mine in against the seat which was slightly reclined, had my back turned to the slide and didn't notice what was going on until I heard the slide motors slow down! Of course, I backed off immediately and moved the chair forward. The slide mechanism worked without problems, but the pedestal frame of the chair was bent, pushing the chair over at a tilt. No damage to the seat material, but had to replace the pedestal mechanism!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coffee - "do stupid stuff faster with more energy".

Have had numerous near misses and a few "oops" moments. Currently looking for a 50 amp plug. Only was going to move the 5er about 50'. Drove over the power cord. Thank goodness no damage to the wall.

I try to not rush to do anything. Look twice and move once. Just resigned to the fact there will be more errors.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #27

At Taylorgso.... now I know why the drivers seat in my " new to me" coach leans.
AT Smosher........Now that's funny!
I'm with all of Ya, I've pulled several dumb stunts so far during the past 7 months of ownership. Mike
Old 12-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #28

I just did the same thing but stopped it in time and no damage. I always watch the slides go in and out and are ready to stop them in case of my dumb move!!!!

Tags
driver, slide, slide out