Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #15
DJJ

Overwhelming is a feeling I have had on more then one occasion during the 13 months I have owned our RV. 2 days ago my wife said maybe we should just go home, but we will press on. One thing I have found out is that if I was not very comfortable researching and then trying to fix things myself I would need a fatter wallet. On our first long trip last year at one point my wife said she could not do the RV thing anymore. By the time we got home 4 1/2 months later she was telling everyone she was not ready and wanted to stay on the road longer. About 2 weeks ago our frig warmed up to the mid 40s, it turned out to be the 10 watt inside light was staying on. Removed the bulb, problem solved. Work through your problems and think of the good times ahead. This is a big country with lots to see a do and an RV is a good way to see it.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Ron, I think you might need to get real. What 15 yr. old ANYTHING can one buy and not expect problems? Remember, the previous owner had a reason for selling....could it have been mechanical issues? To think your service guys would have verified proper function for EVERYTHING is even more unrealistic....you can't afford to have someone verify everything the way you would. Mechanical things are meant to be used and if they sit, the first time you stress the systems and components, they likely react....by failing! Yes, to have this all happen at once seems unrealistic, but I can tell you a NEW one can have the same issues on the maiden voyage. ( don't ask how I know...)

If you're unwilling to work through these issues, perhaps motorhoming isn't for you. BUT...ask yourself if this were a car....what would you do? Sell the car and stop driving?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We've had trips like yours. Thankfully they are a very tiny percentage out of our 35 years of RV use.

Yours is so immediate it still stings, but 10 years from now it will be no more than a good story to tell around the campfire.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks like you need a good Mobile RV Repairman or a friend that can help with some of the items you have been talking about.
Maintenance is the key in keeping your coach items functioning through its life span.
We have older coach's on forum that are giving owners many years of good use.
I have had problems on new coach on vacation so you need to seek some ones help to get your coach in top shape.
I wish I could help you out but your a long way from me.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heading out in a new to you 15 year old RV on a two week vacation for it's maiden voyage? I hope isn't the smartest decision you've ever made because I don't know anyone in this arena that would recommend that move to anyone.

These things are constantly breaking down and there are so many suppliers for all the parts that you can't even go to the coach builder, rather, you have to get in touch with the specific component manufacturer.

I started a thread a while back, sort of tongue in cheek, titled "Warning Do Not buy a Motor Home!" for this very reason. I tried to tell the unsuspecting buyer that they have a good chance of going through exactly what you're going through now.

Fix it, sell it, move on!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with the above, if you are in a campground, ask for a recommendation for a RV Tech that will come out. Yes, it might cost you a little bit of cash, but may save your vacation. You are going to get it fixed anyway (at least I'm assuming you would) ... might as well do it now.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Like others we have had all of the problems you are having but not at one time. Fridge went, jacks needed to be fixed, it's in the shop now for the second time to get a (not bedroom) slide repaired. Other stuff too numerous to mention unless you have a day or two.

There were times we wanted to throw in the towel and buy a condo or something but a few days after the storm we love it again and we wait on the next disaster.

One thought on the fridge and excuse me if it sounds to simple. Has it been on for at least a day? They take a long time to get cold when first turned on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
What 15 yr. old ANYTHING can one buy and not expect problems?
Scotch?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
DJJ Thanks a lot Jeff we did check our fridg and guess what the bulb is staying on. Not sure why or how to fix it but it is red hot. Thanks again appreciate your help
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #23

Remove bulb for now

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #24
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
DJJ Thanks a lot Jeff we did check our fridg and guess what the bulb is staying on. Not sure why or how to fix it but it is red hot. Thanks again appreciate your help

Well one problem down two to go. Google Stuart's Service. Others on this site praise their phone support for the HWH jacks. Maybe they can point you in the right direction on your jacks.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Two of your best resources would be to call Newmar and HWH. Both have been helpful to me when I was having problems.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #26

I believe there was a guy that works for HWH he provided his phone number and seemed happy to help.

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #27

Trips

I remember a little over a year ago we headed to SC on our first long trip. We chose to camp at home once then a short trip prior to heading out for 2 weeks. We had just been through a big storm at home and did not know at the time we had fried the inverter and convection oven. Worked through the issues with the help of a local mobile repairman. Delivered a new inverter and oven to the CG. Installed it at the CG, all was good. We had a houseboat for 30+ years so we are accustom to allot of these system since they work the same. Always watch the gauges and fluid levels. Old Coaches need TLC...heck the new ones do to....this forum has a ton of good helpful info. I look daily to see what has been posted. Keep your chin up, learn to work on the issues yourself..it's cheaper and you will better understand your coach and be quicker to trouble shoot any future issues...Hang in there this will become a good story for a future campfire.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #28

What about age of your house batteries? Are you using them, or are you and shore power?

From what I've learned in two months, have a volt meter in your tool box.

Are you doing the jacks first, then the slides on Extend (and the reverse for Retract)?

Tags
cat, motorhome