RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #1

First wax

We are waxing our Baystar and wanting opinions on best wax to use. Have had some suggestions:
  1. 303 UV protection
  2. Nu-Finish
  3. Gel Gloss wash and wax
  4. meguiars m
  5. turtle wax

Not sure if 303 is really a wax. Looking to remove black streaks in paint. Thanks

micbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #2

you will get about as many opinions as there are people that respond. i use meguiars flagship rv/marine cleaner / wax. it takes a while!

bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #3

I struggled with NuFinish the first year we owned the coach. It was a huge JOB to get the whole thing done.

Then I paid a mobile RV detail guy in SW Florida to do it last year. I learned a lot, plus he did an outstanding job. I now do it myself again.

I use McGuires (with carnauba). I put it on about a 2'x2' area with a orbital buffer, then take it off with microfiber towels. Starting with a clean dry coach it takes about 8 hours so I divide it into 2 days.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #4

Thanks, actually thought about getting a pro to detail but hard to find one in Virginia.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I use BlackFire products.
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #6

McGuires line of RV/Marine products are good. Currently Im using McGuires Advanced on my car. Except for cost I would use it on an RV in a heart beat. I also like Colinite Fleetwax.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbob4 View Post
We are waxing our Baystar and wanting opinions on best wax to use. Have had some suggestions:
  1. 303 UV protection
  2. Nu-Finish
  3. Gel Gloss wash and wax
  4. meguiars m
  5. turtle wax

Not sure if 303 is really a wax. Looking to remove black streaks in paint. Thanks
I've used everything out there over the years and for the money and effort IMHO nothing will beat Nu Finish from Wal*Mart - wipe on wipe off - next year do the same - done it every year (Almost) and it has done well. This ia an Eight day job for me - and maybe a 12 pack in the Summer. -

Use one of these - https://www.ebay.com/p/1390854659?ii...yABEgIEDfD_BwE

Can tell when I might need to compound to get back to original surface - same tool different pads

Seriously have used everything possible in the last 20 years. Side by side and Nu Finish is just better.

JMHO
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Just finished waxing our coach yesterday (no small job) Used Griot's Polywax (long lasting wax). Surface prep involved using a floor swiffer, followed by surface decontamination using their fine surface prep mitt, then the Polywax. Regardless what you use, if your going to use a random orbital polisher/buffer, check out the series videos on Griot's site ( or many others). Our coach had a lot of hard and dried wax droplets left over from the factory which could dislodge and become a problem under a RO buffer head. I-70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
I've used everything out there over the years and for the money and effort IMHO nothing will beat Nu Finish from Wal*Mart - wipe on wipe off - next year do the same - done it every year (Almost) and it has done well.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
I've used everything out there over the years and for the money and effort IMHO nothing will beat Nu Finish from Wal*Mart - wipe on wipe off - next year do the same - done it every year (Almost) and it has done well. This ia an Eight day job for me - and maybe a 12 pack in the Summer. -
Really? Eight days?
micbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbob4 View Post
Really? Eight days?
True - just as I've grown more experienced I take more time Off - - Need to keep Hydrated - - (Retired) - so I look at it as - Front - Back - then divide the sides into thirds X 2 = 6 - really what's the hurry - trust me 365 days go By in a Flash seems like just yesterday I did it -

Think last time I did it in two Days I had my Scaffolding set up!!!!!!

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #11

I use Glide Coat RV Shine and Shield available on Amazon. Very easy to apply and gives a long lasting shine with good uV protection. Took me 2 days to do our coach.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The best wax to use.....wait for it.....is the one that gets used often. There are a 100 brands of wax out there and every brand and person who uses it, claims their brand works best. Just pick a wax and wax often. I've tried 50+ plus waxes in my lifetime and have a cupboard full of different brands. I ended up using what is easy to get and reasonably priced. Occasionally, I use NuFinish and some days I use Meguiars.

After trying a wax and not finding it to be that miracle wax, I will often warm it up and mix it with other waxes. Then I use it until gone and move on to something else until I reduce the waxes in my cupboard to a couple.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I will often warm it up and mix it with other waxes. Then I use it until gone and move on to something else until I reduce the waxes in my cupboard to a couple.[/QUOTE]

Don,
That is funny.... Mainly because I do the same thing and my wife just laughs every time I try a new one.
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #14

Thanks, would you say 303 uv is a good wax to use.