Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fixing cracked entry handle face plate

G'morning Newmar Folks:

Has anyone here had to work on their entry door handle mechanism? We full time in an EX and the interior face plate just forward of the main door handle is cracking (I'll try to attch. pics). I've ordered replacement part from Newmar parts but they don't seem to have ANY instructions as to how to proceed or what to be careful about with regard to opening up this assembly and replacing broken face plate. There are 3, star slotted screw heads located around the periphery of the door handle which I "assume" is how I get into this thing....but....I don't know what I'm doing....so if anyone has any help, I'd sure appreciate a come back.

Thanks

SteveClick image for larger version

Name:	Door Handle etc 001.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	20405

Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Handle etc 002.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	20406
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Likely your door was manufactured by PTL Engineering. Here is a link http://www.ptlengineering.com or email support@ptlengineering.com
Their phone number for customer service is 810 664-2310 ext 203.
Looks like the PTL door uses a trimark RV handle/latch mechanism. Other than the three screws you already saw, I could not see how to access. Hope someone knows on the forum or PTL can assist. Good luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
After you remove the handel and remove the broken plastic plate I would take a look of the back of plate and see if there is any way to reinforce that area.
It seems when you grab handle to open door it causes that area to flex and eventually crack.
The new plate may have already been reinforced because of the handle flex problem, by MFG.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
shaman52:

HEY !! THANKS for the link.

Steve
Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #5

when you take the 3 torx head screw out the handle and facia will almost come out in your hand. You have to be carefull that the out side handle stays on so have some one hold it or use masking tape. There is a spring loaded bolt on the jam face that will have to be removed to get the handle out. Just look at how many threads are showing before you remove so you get it back to the same adjustment. It is actually very easy to do once you get started
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
newmar10:

THANK YOU so VERY much for your help. The replacement part is supposed to be shipped on Thurs. (5/3) from Nappanee so I'll get at it when received. I'm still a little confused about that "spring loaded bolt on the jam face" you described but I guess I can figure it out. I'm thinking you were indicating the "jam face" on the outer edge of the door??? Anyway,....I'll get it.

THANKS AGAIN.

Steve