Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #1

While doing some work on the weekend it occurred to me that many complaints of issues and RV service may well inadvertently cause a new issue while repairing another. How I know? It happened to me.

I received a new cover and extra fasteners for my filter set located in the last rear basement door, below the batteries. The original cover was held on with two screw knobs. The new one came with 6. To install the additional fasteners required drilling the steel mounting back plate to the correct size and then hammering the threaded inserts in. As the back plate is not secured on the bottom, there was some slight movement in the plate along with some vibration. I ended up with 5 screw knobs holding the cover securely to the plate.

Later that day I just happened to look under the coach where the filter cover resides. I saw a small amount of liquid which I soon identified as coolant.

Well, off with the cover. I checked the coolant filter, it was dry. I dryed everthing and waited. I found it was a 1/4" coolant line above the filter. As the unit had not been moved for some time I was sure it was a new leak, caused by the install of the new fasteners. I tightened the hose clamp on the line and it was good. I started the engine and pressurized the coolant system by heating the engine to 140 F. No leaks. Reinstalled the cover.

Now this made me think. If that cover replacement were done by a service facility, I would have been on my way only later, much later, to discover my coolant is continually going slowly down. Next I'm back getting service on an item that was actually caused by the last service.

I wonder how often this really happens.

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #2

While doing some work on the weekend it occurred to me that many complaints of issues and RV service may well inadvertently cause a new issue while repairing another. How I know? It happened to me.

I received a new cover and extra fasteners for my filter set located in the last rear basement door, below the batteries. The original cover was held on with two screw knobs. The new one came with 6. To install the additional fasteners required drilling the steel mounting back plate to the correct size and then hammering the threaded inserts in. As the back plate is not secured on the bottom, there was some slight movement in the plate along with some vibration. I ended up with 5 screw knobs holding the cover securely to the plate.

Later that day I just happened to look under the coach where the filter cover resides. I saw a small amount of liquid which I soon identified as coolant.

Well, off with the cover. I checked the coolant filter, it was dry. I dryed everthing and waited. I found it was a 1/4" coolant line above the filter. As the unit had not been moved for some time I was sure it was a new leak, caused by the install of the new fasteners. I tightened the hose clamp on the line and it was good. I started the engine and pressurized the coolant system by heating the engine to 140 F. No leaks. Reinstalled the cover.

Now this made me think. If that cover replacement were done by a service facility, I would have been on my way only later, much later, to discover my coolant is continually going slowly down. Next I'm back getting service on an item that was actually caused by the last service.

Peter
Old 08-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Six fasteners for that cover sounds like overkill to me....

Glad you found the issue before getting on the road...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #4

Hey Bob, Talking about finding problems, it's funny but a little work in an area keeps you in that area. I noticed, during the same time I did this job, the righthand tail light lenses had, not only condensation, but water in them. I removed both right assemblies. They are two tail/back-up light assemblies. Actually they are marked "L" and "R" and the left is inverted to become the bottom doubling for the right unit. I dried the assemblies with a hair drier. I noticed that both units (actually identical units) had three light socket holes. Each hole had a flat surface that a seal was installed between the lense assembly and the triple bulb mount. The top hole of the top unit (the pointed end) had a poor plastic moulded hole seal landing. The bottom, which is the inverted top one, had the same flaw in the bottom hole.

Let me explain, as I'm sure you don't know what I'm talking about or you believe cocktail hour came early today. If you look at the '07/08' Essex/King you will notice that the tail lights are semi pointed on the bottom and top. These are separate assemblies made for a right and left tail lense assemly used on each side, just one inverted over the other.

Anyway the fix was to build up the low side of the hole land with silicone. Allow the silicone to dry. Re-assemble. Additionally I added a soft rubber flap sheilding the lamps.

Oh, boy, did I go on with this. Well enjoy.

Peter
Old 08-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Peter,
You are correct. An example is my main awning. All features of the awning worked as advertised for over one year. While at the dealership, they noticed the fabric was 3" too short and ordered a new awning! Outstanding, I thought, I do not need to clean the awning this year and I get a new awning! The new awning was installed and sure enough the arms now extend fully. I am a happy camper.

Since the new awning was installed, the following has happenned:
1. the awning walks toward the front of the roller. Now the arms do not close completely. I must be on a ladder and push/pull the rear arm to get it to line up when closed.
2. The remote control no longer works (multiple repairs).
3. The auto retract does not work (multiple repairs).
4. The awning will not auto dump water when it rains. Yes it did auto dump water with the short fabric.

The list goes on and on.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the righthand tail light lenses had, not only condensation, but water in them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Peter! Chuck found that he had the same problem last week. Hopefully he reads this and comments. On our MADP we had condensation on one side, Newamar replaced the entire light assembly. To stay on your subject, Newmar replaced quite a few of our tiles, as they were doing them, they broke the wires for the heated floor and had to do quite a few repairs to the heated floor wires. Paul
Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Geez, do I REALLY have to remember all these things happening?

I had a broken wire just under the mirrored wall at my kitchen slide wall and the bath wall intersection....They broke the mirror getting it off the wall,fixed the wire and the tile, then BROKE the mirror putting it back on.
As it was late in the week and they wanted me out of there for service school,I recently had that mirror fixed.
When in Daytona for bike week I had the front pass headlight bezel come almost all the way off, the issue was the way they attached the screw studs to the bezels...When in Nappanee recently they noticed that the DRIVER side was coming off and replaced it.
While replacing the driver and passenger seats they noticed a bad tile up in the driver's area, again late in the week I chose to roll..

While fixing the FIRST leak in the slide, they were on the roof and found a hairline crack in my front cap where the cap meets the roof piece...Upon further inspection of the ceiling fabric over the passenger seat they found a clearly defined (but faint) water stain...

Peter, as far as cocktail hour, remember my brother's motto....It's FIVE O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #8

Geez you guys are scarin' the c--- out of me. If thats the high end service, whats the low end? Having picked up the coach new there I already know the answer. We were going to go in for a slide adjustment but......
Old 08-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #9

Dav5942, Don't think this is just a Newmar issue, this is a general issue that may apply to all manufacturer's and dealers. I think this is not that common at the manufacturer service level, but more applicable to many dealers, much of them being good service facilities.

P.S. Bob. The 5:00 o'clock rule seems no problem, since now it does not get light until near 6:00 am. So I never mind waiting if I'm up at 4 am.

Peter
Old 08-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #10

Never did think only a Newmar issue-unfortunately its the nature of the beast!

Gold Panning Championships
Old 08-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I though only boats had a money hole in them!!

Lug Nut, how the heck are you? BJ and I continue to talk about you two...

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:

Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very Often - believe it or not 50 years ago at GE Jet engines in Evendale, OH we did a study to determine if preventive maintenance helped or hurt machine tool breakdown frequency. We found that PM caused a higher rate of failure than leaving the equipment alone and using some other means, like audio listening devices to determine if some thing was going amiss and then taking down for repairs.