Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 05:44 AM   #1

Flashers and Blinkers (Rear) not working

I recently developed a problem with the rear blinkers and flashers on our 2006 Essex. The running lights work so the bulbs are fine. When i activate the blinkers (either side) or the flashers, the front and side lights work fine - that is they blinker normally (no slow blinking or steady light). The rear lights, nothing. The same thing with the towed trailer.

They had been working fine on our trip north. My wife was following in the car, and told me I should use blinkers when changing lanes. I told her I had been - all the times. She said the blinkers were working only some times. Sitting in the driveway, I can't get the rear blinkers or flashers to work at all.

I've checked fuses and all seem fine. I found the flasher and two relays in the front electronics bay. If I unplug the flasher unit, all lights stop blinking. The two relays are clicking, When I unplug the relays (separately) the front side marker lights are effected.

Is there another set of relays for the rear lights??

I've searched the forums for similar threads and found some that talk about fuses and relays in a bussman box in a rear compartment. I've looked and can't find one that fits the description. I did find one in the engine compartment in the plexiglass box. Looked in there, and there's nothing applicable.

I'm about to loose my mind trying to figure out whats going on here. Any help would be greatly appreciated since the motorhome has to pass inspection next month.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

Just because the park lights work doesn't mean the bulbs are fine , there are separate filaments in the bulb; for the park and signal/brake functions.
Have you checked the brake light operation ?
Do you have a test light or a multi-meter to check that the power for the rear lights is leaving the signal switch to the rear light wiring?

Adding your chassis manufacturer may help get better answers.

Here are some pictures of the rear fuse box ( the one with the two white marks) on a 05 Spartan chassis , posted by another member.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506 (640x384).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	203076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507 (640x384).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	203077  

Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
May have a faulty relay or silver flasher on your fuse panel that needs changing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:25 PM   #4

You might need to replace the relays for the flashers and blinkers. Even though you hear them clicking doesn't mean they are making contact (the contacts may be burnt). First I would unplug the relays, clean the external contacts and replug them in. If that doesn't work, try a new relay in one of the flashers to see if that corrects the problem then proceed accordingly. Last year my flashers stopped working for the toad and simply unplugging the relays and reinstalling them corrected the problem. I then unplugged, cleaned the external contacts, put dielectric grease (silicone) on the contacts and plugged them back in. They are still working fine.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

Thank you Skip426, 007, and dutchstr3884 for your replies.

My DW has returned from a trip so now I'm able to test the brake lights, which we did today. More confusion ensued. First test was to just step on the break pedal... Nothing. Asked to activate the blinkers and lo and behold I have blinkers (both sides). I ask her to activate the flashers, and all lights come on but don't blink. She takes her foot of the brake pedal, and again I loose blinkers on both the MH and trailer.

So, in short: All the light bulbs are good. I have no brake lights, no blinkers and no flashers on the rear of the MH or attached trailer. Blinkers only work when I also have my foot on the brake.

This is so confusing. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #6

Ok , the brake lights over ride the 4 way flashers on my F/L chassis too .

I'll re-read you post and see if I can wrap my head around what your problem might be .

Was the coach aired up when you were testing the brake lights , on an air brake system the brake light switches are air pressure activated.

First thought is to find and clean the ground wiring to all the rear cap lights and sockets, because the park/running lights may be back feeding into the signal system trying to find ground , and the signal and flashers may be doing the same through the brake light wiring .
If I can think of anything else , I'll re-post.
I wish you luck , because when it comes to sorting out weird electrical issues I'd rather be lucky than good.
BTW: for 33 years I did 12 volt electrical at a Chrysler dealership , and just when I thought I'd seen it all , something new would crop up .
Old 05-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Bad diodes at the base of the steering column.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/brake...des-27290.html

My 01 DSDP had the exact symptoms you have and the diodes were bad.

under $20 and 5 minutes to fix...
Old 05-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyceguy01 View Post

01 DSDP had the exact symptoms you have and the diodes were bad.

OP hasn't said if his coach is F/L or Spartan chassis.
Did you locate the diodes on a wiring schematic, and diagrams , or go by the diode label on the harness.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

I just looked under the dash and the diode labels and the actual diodes were super easy to find once I was looking for them.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
OP hasn't said if his coach is F/L or Spartan chassis.
Did you locate the diodes on a wiring schematic, and diagrams , or go by the diode label on the harness.

It's a Spartan K2 Chassis.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:46 AM   #11

Quote:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/brake...des-27290.html

My 01 DSDP had the exact symptoms you have and the diodes were bad.

Where does one buy diodes? NAPA Auto?? Or do I have to go back to Spartan? I don't mind going to Spartan, it just takes a bit more time.

Thanks nyceguy01. At this point it's worth a try to just change them out.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #12

Mine is a Freightliner. I’m not sure if the Spartans have them.
I got them from Freightliner.

If you have them and they are bad you will know by looking at them. They will be burnt and one of mine was melted in half.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Mine is a Freightliner. I’m not sure if the Spartans have them.
I got them from Freightliner.

If you have them and they are bad you will know by looking at them. They will be burnt and one of mine was melted in half.

I will check the steering column today and contact Spartan on Monday to see if they can provide any assistance.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX_RVing View Post
I will check the steering column today and contact Spartan on Monday to see if they can provide any assistance.

I went out and checked. The steering column is completely shrouded and it looks like all wiring immediately exits to the front generator compartment. Checked in there and could not see any diodes (as described).

I again rechecked the electronics bay to see if I missed anything from before. I found 2 diodes that plug into the main fuse block. They look like small blade fuses, but are diodes. One is labeled as brake light diode, the other is unlabeled. I tested them with a VOM and found that in one direction I have infinite resistance. In the other direction I have 2k ohms resistance. I'm not sure what this means (are they good or bad??).