Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #1

I was using auto carpet to protect the defrost vent from the extreme conditions caused by sunlight coming through the windshield. Apparently the Allstar's and the Ventana's are prone to cracking defrost vents due to expanding and contracting plastic. Over time the UV also does a number on the plastic defrost vent.
Anyway I chose black carpet to suit the interior. As I was installing the carpet I became aware of the benefits of having a flat black light absorbing dash. My eyes instantly relaxed as I worked on the carpet and the reflection of the dash in the windshield disappeared. Wow it is amazing the difference when I drive into the sun. I highly recommend this modification. I am looking for a flat black material for the front of the instrument panel hump. I can still see the hump in the windshield and the contrast with the black carpet makes it even more apparent. Flat black paint is the simplest but I am worried about the heat absorption, the plastic and the bond. Anybody have any ideas?

The last photo shows the cracks in the defrost vent of my Allstar. Newmar replaced the vent with the same stress prone cheep plastic. The vent is over 8 feet long and has no expansion joints. Eight feet of plastic expands and contracts far more than the wood, metal and fiberglass that hold it in place. Expansion joints would be easy but Newmar doesn't get it.

2007 Allstar,
jjbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #2

"O yeh" the tennis balls holding the wipers off the windshield. I saw this in a State Park in Oregon.

2007 Allstar,
Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jjbsmith:
I was using auto carpet to protect the defrost vent from the extreme conditions caused by sunlight coming through the windshield. Apparently the Allstar's and the Ventana's are prone to cracking defrost vents due to expanding and contracting plastic. Over time the UV also does a number on the plastic defrost vent.
Anyway I chose black carpet to suit the interior. As I was installing the carpet I became aware of the benefits of having a flat black light absorbing dash. My eyes instantly relaxed as I worked on the carpet and the reflection of the dash in the windshield disappeared. Wow it is amazing the difference when I drive into the sun. I highly recommend this modification. I am looking for a flat black material for the front of the instrument panel hump. I can still see the hump in the windshield and the contrast with the black carpet makes it even more apparent. Flat black paint is the simplest but I am worried about the heat absorption, the plastic and the bond. Anybody have any ideas?

The last photo shows the cracks in the defrost vent of my Allstar. Newmar replaced the vent with the same stress prone cheep plastic. The vent is over 8 feet long and has no expansion joints. Eight feet of plastic expands and contracts far more than the wood, metal and fiberglass that hold it in place. Expansion joints would be easy but Newmar doesn't get it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That looks pretty clean...How did you "finish" the edges of the carpeting after you cut it?

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
socal114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Bob,
Excellent idea. Can you provide more details?
1. Was this a professionally made cover?
2. If so, who did it?
3. If not, what carpet did you use?
4. Is the carpet fastened to the dash or does it just lay there?
5. If it's fastened, what did you use to fasten it to the dash.
6. Anything else you can think of.
This belongs in the "Quick Tips & Easy Mods, by EVERYONE" thread that is a sticky on the Newmar Owners forum.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #5

Bob, I like your idea for the dash, I also would like more information on how you cut and secured the carpet to the dash. The black carpet would compliment the interior of my coach as well as you stated cut down the glare. Ed.S
Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds good to me Gary I'll add it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
Bob,
Excellent idea. Can you provide more details?
1. Was this a professionally made cover?
2. If so, who did it?
3. If not, what carpet did you use?
4. Is the carpet fastened to the dash or does it just lay there?
5. If it's fastened, what did you use to fasten it to the dash.
6. Anything else you can think of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gary, I made the cover, it took about 2 hours, the carpet is sold at home renovation stores like Home Depot, ask for atuomotive carpet from the rolls of indoor outdoor carpet. Atuo carpet has no pattern or lines. Buy enough to make a double layer. Also buy a 4 by 8 sheet of that plastic cardboard sheet that comes in many colors, buy white or clear if they have it.
I started by laying the sheet of plastic on the ground under the front of the bus. I roughly traced the curveture of the nose of the bus onto the sheet and reduced the size of the sheet to roughly match the dash area. Next I took the sheet inside and started to cut. Stubby scizzors(sp?) worked fine. Make lots of small cuts and mark the sheet between cuts. If you cut too much don't worry just add a small piece of sheet with duct tape and cut again. Our dash is wider than 8 feet so I had to tape pieces on for the extra width I covered the defrost vents because I was trying to protect them from the sun. If I expect to use the vents I will roll up the carpet and sto it.
Trace the completed template onto the back of the carpet with black-board chalk. Trim the carpet to fit as best you can. This first piece of carpet is of coarse upside-down (the fuzzy side down piece). Trace this first piece of carpet onto the fuzzy side up piece and cut too match. The carpets naturely stick back to back a bit like velcro and the two pieces become much stiffer when stuck back to back. Because the carpet was black and fuzzy you can hardly see that it is made up of two pieces. The edges shed fibers for a week but it's no worse than our dog for a couple of days. Unfortunately our dog now loves to sit on the dash and view the world. I wish we had a black dog!

2007 Allstar,
Old 08-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #8

Gary, The carpet is held in place because it is wider near the window so it can't slip backwards and it butts up to the window so it can't slip forwards. Also I may consider punching holes over the defrost vents as it is easy to see where they line up, over time the dust collects in the carpet over each vent.

2007 Allstar,
Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #9

Gary, Here are some pics of the template and the fit around the window. The fit keeps the carpet in place.
I also included a picture of a two drawer, two wheeled cabinet aprox 14" by 14" that we bought at Ikea. It's a bit tacky but it sure works well between the capitain's chairs. Holds snacks maps laptop note pads etc. Rolls easly out of the way. I will be building a cup holder for my co-pilot and attaching the cart to the slide-out wall.

2007 Allstar,
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #10

Thanks Bob for the feedback will give it a try. Ed.S
Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Bob,
Thanks for the pics and detailed instructions. It is on my list of things to do.

One of your pics shows a white fence very near the driver's side of the coach. Is getting your coach to it's parking spot a challenge?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote