RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Bought my new 2018 last month. Haven't tried to put in to mode. Just took for granted it would work when I need it. Headed out in the 4th, better go out tomorrow and give it a try. If I do have issues I can get them taken care of prior to leaving.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, don't wait 3 days before your leaving like I did. Less than 1K miles, and all the things to worry about to get it ready, never worried about shifting a brand new truck. Dealer can't figure it out, all the trucks on his lot works fine, guess I should of chose a different color or stuck with chevy

Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I sure hope I don't have a problem. Will try it out this afternoon.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPeas View Post
With our 2015 Platinum, after powering on to accessory without pressing the break pedal, we have to acknowledge any of the warnings by pressing ok. Then you can follow the instructions in the manual to apply the brake and place shifter in neutral. Then turn the 4 wheel selector from 2H to 4L and back to 2H 5 times in 7 seconds. It then should shift the transfer case into neutral. After the "transfer case is in tow mode" message shows up on the screen, be sure to turn off the power and take the non-default (can't remember the option) for the security system. That way on the 2015 the alarm doesn't go off when you start towing and the odometer doesn't increment the mileage of your trip.
Top default security option is where I leave it

Bottom is to turn off the in cab alarms

Do the same as you and as others note the speed of the 5 knob turns from 2h to 4h is important
Old 01-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Good news, we are free to get the heck out of the frigid, arctic state of Iowa! Our dealer finally got a response from corporate Ford and received new info to reconfigure something on the computer and re-boot it and it worked
Old 01-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Old 05-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #21

I have the same issue. I called my dealer and the service manager knew nothing about it. He even questioned if I could even flat tow a f 150. I assured him I’d done my homework and ask him to please research this issue. He called me back about 10 minutes later and confirmed that there was in fact a TSB issued for this problem. He said all 2019 f 150 built before January 10th (I think) was missing a key piece of software. Mine was built December 18th. Anyway, he said it’s no big deal and they can update the software tomorrow.
Thanks for posting this thread, I was going crazy trying to figure this thing out.
Rivrman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:09 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Glad they figured it out for you.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Side Note......I have a GMC Canyon with a series of things you have to do to get the truck into neutral. I printed the steps on a half sheet of paper and then laminated it. This way, I never miss a step and if someone else had to do it in an emergency, they can just use my card. GM also has a procedure, should the truck not want to come out of 4WD. I printed that and it's on the backside of my laminated card. The card lives in the seat pocket behind the passenger seat.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #24

You did not say whether you had keyless start or not.. We had our tow system set up today at the dealership and it works like a charm.. However, we have been practicing putting the F-150 (keyless start), into and out of flat tow mode successfully for several months with very few miss fires.

Definitely read and heed the manufacturers instructions, page 312..

It surely tells you exactly how to do it, but it’s a little hard to interpret because of all the cautions and disclaimers. It’s also written for keyed and keyless start. So I abbreviated the instructions to a few simple steps.. BUT, be sure to READ THE OWNERS MANUAL..

Here is a copy of our simple steps.. Works 95% of the time..
BE AWARE, USE EXTREME CAUTION..CAUTION...CAUTION!!!!

REMEMBER, ANYTIME THE F-150 IS IN NEUTRAL TOW MODE, IT COULD ROLL AWAY UNLESS IT’S SECURELY CONNECTED TO THE COACH VIA THE TOW BAR OR YOU ARE HOLDING THE BRAKES.. THE BRAKES ARE MANUAL WITH THE ENGINE OFF SO IT WILL TAKE WAY MORE PRESSURE ON THE BRAKE PEDAL TO KEEP THE TRUCK FROM MOVING.. THE ROLLING AWAY CAN BE VERY SUBTLE.. IT CAN START OFF VERY VERY SLOW, THEN VERY GRADUALLY ACCELERATE.. BE VERY ALERT WHENEVER YOU RELEASE THE BRAKES. A 3 TON TRUCK THAT RUNS AWAY CAN INJURE OR KILL SOMEONE , INCLUDING YOURSELF OR DO SERIOUS DAMAGE. SO BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

INTO TOW MODE
- [ ] Hook-up tow bar and safety chains / secure the F-150 to the coach.
- [ ] Without pressing brake pedal, press START/STOP.
- [ ] Press and hold the brake pedal.
- [ ] Shift to neutral (N).
- [ ] Within 7 seconds, rotate the 4WD switch full clockwise, full CCW 5 times.
- [ ] Read/Verify “Neutral Tow Enabled, Leave transmission in Neutral”.
- [ ] Press START/STOP without pressing the brake pedal.
- [ ] Release brake pedal. (CAUTION !!!)

——————————————

OUT OF TOW MODE

BEFORE DISCONNECTING F-150 FROM THE COACH !!!!!!

- [ ] Without pressing brake pedal, press START/STOP.
- [ ] Press and hold the brake pedal.
- [ ] Place the transmission into park (P).
- [ ] Read “Neutral Tow Disabled”.
- [ ] Release the brake pedal. (CAUTION !!!)

——————————————
Note:
You can check towing status anytime by pressing START/STOP, without pressing brake pedal.
MincRV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #25

Well I have a 2018 F150 Platinum that has been flat towed about 15K miles so far. Last week I was leaving Iowa after being there for a week in frigid temps. I went through the same steps I always do and it showed "Neutral tow mode engaged" I left Iowa and got back to Arkansas and truck wouldn't move. Heard from dealer today, transmission is completely ruined and they won't warranty it since they know it was being towed (I told them) and they can't prove I did the steps right to put it in neutral. Pretty bummed right now. I have an $11k bill at dealer. They recommended I call my insurance and see if it will cover. I called and made a claim but haven't heard back yet. I did hook up on a very slight incline with the truck pulling back on the tow bar. Not sure if the person above was correct about it showing neutral even though it's stuck and can't go in... Makes me nervous to tow it again like this...

nbomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Flat towing a F 150

I have a ‘19 Expedition and I dread when I read these neutral tow problem posts.

I figured I’d improve my chances of making sure it was properly in Neutral Tow and of any claim I file if ever needed. I added a small LED under the dash that is illuminated when the charge line from the MH is powered and the last three items on my checklist are:
- verify charge light is on
- take a picture of the dash showing neutral tow enabled with the MH in view.
- have my wife double check that it says Neutral tow when she checks the lights are correctly signaling with the MH

I hope never to find out if I need that photo (and I have kept all of them from every time I’ve hooked up the Expedition for towing) but I am confident that having those steps on the checklist ensures I got the vehicle properly setup.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
I have a ‘19 Expedition and I dread when I read these neutral tow problem posts.

I figured I’d improve my chances of making sure it was properly in Neutral Tow and of any claim I file if ever needed. I added a small LED under the dash that is illuminated when the charge line from the MH is powered and the last three items on my checklist are:
- verify charge light is on
- take a picture of the dash showing neutral tow enabled with the MH in view.
- have my wife double check that it says Neutral tow when she checks the lights are correctly signaling with the MH

I hope never to find out if I need that photo (and I have kept all of them from every time I’ve hooked up the Expedition for towing) but I am confident that having those steps on the checklist ensures I got the vehicle properly setup.

- Richard
we ran a charge line for both the expedition and edge for the patriot brake.
but the exp will not shift out of neutral tow mode if power is dead or by itself.
sometimes the procedure is querky but it usually means the human messed up. I do it occasionally
but the dash tells you if its in mode or not

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #28

2017 f150 4x4.

I had trouble getting mine to enable towing. Service told me to shift to drive then to neutral. Something about the way transmission is programmed.
Anyway it works.

Tags
tow, towing