Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #1

Flat Towing with New Aire 3341

This is my first post here after reading this forum for a while.
My wife and I traded our Airstream for a 2020 New Aire 3341 at the Hershey show last September and took delivery in NY in October. We have since winterized and put it in winter storage. While we wait for the spring, we have been trying to determine the best way for us to flat tow our Grand Cherokee with the coach. On the 3-day drive home from NY to IL, I found the coach to be sluggish and have concerns about towing a vehicle with the 360HP engine. I have seen plenty of posts here and elsewhere about successful towing with even smaller engines and heavier coaches, so I’m chalking the sluggishness up to my inexperience with diesel engines and heavy coaches and we are going to try it. I am leaning toward the Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar and base plates and their brake light kit. I Like the concept of the Demco Airforce One braking system, but have concerns about tying anything into the air brake system on the coach which makes me lean toward the RVi brake 3 system. I would appreciate some input (pros and cons) from those with experience in these systems. I also wonder if I will need a towed battery charging system as well.

Bob
ExRiveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #2

Suggestion...

Go to the TOAD section on this forum. You’ll find all the info you need rather than wait here for it.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

New Aire Towing

Bob -

I tow a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with my New Aire and have no problems. I use a Blue Ox tow bar and the RVI brake 3 system and RVI Tire Patrol for my TPMS - love it. Tow away and have fun!
Guy_from_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #4

I tow a Wrangler with my NA. I can't tell any difference in performance with or without the toad. Using Roadmaster tow bar and RVI brake.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
If this is your first time driving a diesel pusher I understand your concern. When I first drove my 2012 43 foot Ventana with a 380 hp engine I couldn't believe the lack of power it had. Later I found that the motor home was fine and had a lot of power but just not much pick up speed relative to other vehicles I had driven. You will get used to it. The first year I owned the Ventana I pulled my 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax diesel truck back to Indiana from Florida. I don't think I noticed much difference between towing the truck and not towing it. I used a Road Master Falcon II tow bar which I still use and a braking system that was operated off of the motor home air brakes and I never had any brake issues with the truck or the motor home.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bob.....Diesel motor homes don't accelerate, they gain momentum. If you tried to drive it like a gasser or diesel pickup truck like a Ford or Chevy, you'll be disappointed. If you "mash" the throttle on a diesel, it will fall on it's face. Also avoid manually shifting until you get more seat time, the Allison will do a better job than you.

You won't see a huge change, but you'll notice your mpg and power will increase a little at a time, until you hit about 15K miles.

Regarding the Air Force One unit. I've had it on three DP's now. My first DP, it hooked right to a "T" in the brake line. In later years, DOT did not approve of this type connection. The unit now comes with a tank and valve assembly, about the size of a football, that mounts on the coach side. If there is a disconnect or airline failure, the system protects the coach brakes. Once installed, it's very easy to connect the vehicles with a quick connect air hose fitting. The system also has a breakaway device in case the toad separates for the coach.

I think the Air Force One unit is a great braking system for heavier vehicles, like the Jeep GC.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't notice a difference between having the tow vehicle attached or not. I have noticed better performance at 6k miles vs 1k miles. Still going from 0 to 30 feels like it takes forever. I tell myself it is ok. Just watch how slow those truckers take. I am no worse than them.

I have had the iBrake just over 3 years and it has been acting up lately. Can't tell if it is an internal issue or a cord issue, but it is out of warrenty. So, for me, I am a bit bummed with its lack of durability.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #8

I towed aLincoln MKX and at times my F150 crew cab 4X4 pickup and use the Air Force 1. Love the setup with a Blue Ox tow bar and no problem towing either.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Dutch Star Don. I used to tow with a Brake Buddy. When I traded up to my London Aire I installed the Air Force One braking system. It is a great system and I wouldn't have any other system. There is no issue with going into the MHs air lines.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:06 AM   #10

We have a similar sized RV (just lots older than yours) and have towed our GMC Acadia across the country three times. It is not quick to accelerate (as has been mentioned several times) but it runs strong. We use the Air Force One braking and have had no problems with the system. I believe the Acadia is at least as heavy as your Jeep. We use the Blue Ox towbar rated to tow 10,000 lb.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Flat Towing with New Aire 3341

We have been flat towing a Grand Cherokee since 2012. We use a RoadMaster Sterling tow bar. We prefer the RM over the Blue Ox, but they are both good systems. The Nighthawk is very nice.

All the advice above regarding the nature of a diesel are correct. You have plenty of power to pull that GC.

You have made a good choice re the AF1 braking system. We use an inertia system now, but will be going to the AF1 when our new coach arrives in February. Get a good dealer to install the air jack and you will be fine.

You should not need any tow battery. The RM cable will power the GC lights from the coach. The GC has a button to put the tranny into neutral for towing. Very easy. Tow miles do not show on the odometer.

You do have 4 wheel drive on that GC, right? I don’t think the 2 wheel drive versions are towable.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #12

I flat tow a Jeep Wrangler using an Air Force One braking system and a Roadmaster NightHawk tow bar behind my New Aire 3341. The braking system works fine and the installation included a 12V supply from the coach so that the Jeep stays fully charged. I have never had a problem with the towing setup. I'd recommend this setup to anyone.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #13

From the OP it sounds like the Grand Cherokee is one that you already have and will no be a new purchase. If I am correct, before you do anything make sure you have the correct transfer case for flat towing. Not all Grand Cherokees can be flat towed. Would hate to see you invest in base plate, wiring etc... and then find out you can't place the transfer in Neutral.

When we bought our Grand Cherokee earlier this year one dealer had approx 20 Grand Cherokees on the lot and only 4 could be flat towed due to the transfer gear case.

First things first....
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I tow a Nissan Frontier King Cab 4WD PU w/Canopy behind my 2008 Ventana with the ISB 350 engine. It does affect the performance of the coach, the ISB is a bit sluggish, just takes some getting used to the way it performs. Would highly recommend AF1 braking system over anything else on the market, if a problem occurs with system it isolates itself from the coach breaking system therefore it will not be affected. Very simple system to use, just hook up the air line on each vehicle, hook up breakaway cable and you are done. Pricey but worth every cent. Had other systems put will have AF1 put on 2020 DS before I take delivery.
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, tow, towing