Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Flexsteel Driver's seat foot rest not extending

I rotated the driver's seat towards the aft / TV and every control works for movement but the foot rest will not extend. I checked wires below, all seem fine, there is a 7.5A fuse inline of a wire, it checks fine (replaced and still same), out of ideas.

Any suggestions on the foot rest not extending while the seat is rotated out of the driving position? I know you can't extend it while the seat is in the driving position so I wonder if there is a cutoff somewhere that's not working or is out of whack or I can bypass for testing?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #2

I had an issue with my driver's seat getting stuck in one position while I was driving where I could not move it forward or rearward. If I recall some have a second breaker or relay that can be reset. Don't know where it would be though.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I had an issue with my driver's seat getting stuck in one position while I was driving where I could not move it forward or rearward. If I recall some have a second breaker or relay that can be reset. Don't know where it would be though.
There is a fuse in the chassis fuse panels in front left basement compartment, don’t recall fuse number.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all, the seat has power and I did find the fuse but that wouldn't isolate only one function of the seat not working. I jiggled all wires (technical term) and I must have hit the right one as it's working again. I think it's the alarm/sensor in the front that has very small/thin wires that something must have been loose there. Whew! What a pain to get to.

I have got to scan all these Newmar documents/papers, my to-do list for today!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If I recall.....Red Barron posted about the sensor in the seat. If you moved the seat all the way forward and down, it crushed the sensor and caused issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I didn't know the drivers seat had a foot rest. Gonna check mine out.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
I didn't know the drivers seat had a foot rest. Gonna check mine out.

Haha either did I! Checking it out tonight.
CooksNMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #8

mine turned out to be a bad switch
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #9

Never turned it around. It’s why we bought our Ventana with the recliners. Besides, when in camp, the drivers seat belongs to the dogs for looking out the front window. [emoji38]
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We’ve had our coach for a year and a half. The driver’s seat footrest has worked for about one month each after purchase and three warranty trips to Nappanee. Rotating the seat pulls wires loose.

The last time I located and reattached them all, but no joy. When I was next in Nappanee, the story was there was some other obscure wire that had pulled loose which is not readily apparent. (I realize this report is no help.)

When We arrived at our campground a couple of weeks later, the sensor that tells that the driver’s chair is not locked in the forward position malfunctioned - never heard a more obnoxious sound, worse than the back-up warning tone at close range. (Had no idea what the warning was for - no messages anywhere.) Called Newmar’s 24-hour support line, left a message, and never received a return call.

Called Freightliner, not their system but the guy was familiar with the issue and helped me. Long story short, the driver’s seat wiring is highly suspect. Keep your fingers crossed!
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #11

My wires looked fine but just were not crimped tight enough to allow enough current to run the motor...Re-crimp and was fine ever since..
Old 06-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If I recall.....Red Barron posted about the sensor in the seat. If you moved the seat all the way forward and down, it crushed the sensor and caused issues.
Good memory Don!

This happened my first time out. The result is no alarm if foot rest is out. From what I have heard, this is not a bad thing as I dont need a false alarm scaring the crud out of me while driving.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I had to undue, trim, reroute and secure the wires under my drivers seat, they wouldn’t let the seat turn all of the way and connections were stressed.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I had to undue, trim, reroute and secure the wires under my drivers seat, they wouldn’t let the seat turn all of the way and connections were stressed.
I think the wire mess under the seat is common. My seat was all the way forward so it could be turned around and got stuck in the forward position, no way someone 5’6” could drive let alone someone 6’4”. Two and a half hours later found the wire issue and got it back in position where it was drivable.

Never moved seat again until factory (warranty) cleaned up the mess, rerouting and secured. Never had problem since and turn the seat around at almost every stop. Knock on Wood😀😀
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver