Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2005, 06:16 AM   #15

Colleen want's to see my recliner. She said parts should already be on the recliner. I said there are lots of people having this issue (see Mahlon). I am dropping of motor home at 11:30 today.

2003 Newmar Scottsdale 3257
Ron - 33' Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #16

Does not realy lock but more of a slide on to a bolt Head. This still lets it rock forward some. I have not driven far yet, but it looks better than it was.

Flexsteel Part list:

1, 3448LC Clamp
1, 3448RL Lock
2, 91094 Screws with nuts

Old 07-13-2005, 12:12 PM   #17

Well, I'm back from my long trip. I trial-fit the "rocker lock" before I left but I wasn't satisfied with the results I was achieving. Maybe I was doing something wrong, maybe I was just tired. Will have another go at it eventually.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:06 AM   #18

RON-33 SCOTTSDALE & MAHLON: You guys are on the "cutting edge" of solving this squeeky-rocky issue which has troubled many. Please don't give up- and please also keep us posted about your results. Ron, do you know if FS will mail out the parts to anyone who requests them?? ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 AM   #19

I think they will, they treated mine as a warrenty issue.
We are going to a campground about 2.5 hours of twisty road away this weekend. Will report back Monday.
Mahlon, can you raise the bolt up some to take some of the play out of it?

Old 07-15-2005, 04:59 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting thread. One of the things I gathered from reading this is that more folks than I have been disappointed with the ability to make the front seats and the recliner into reasonable "furniture" when docked. Can't get the passenger and recliner seats far enough apart to use both, can only see TV from the recliner and sofa. I have taken to turning the passenger seat sideways and using it as a foot rest. I would be willing to get rid of the recliner if I could get tracks that would allow the passenger seat to go back far enough to be useful. A recliner in this position that would lock for driving would be perfect.

Charlie
Old 07-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #21

originally posted by CharlieM:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have taken to turning the passenger seat sideways and using it as a foot rest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is what I have resorted to also, Charlie. I have also wondered IF it would be possible to take the recliner OFF it's floor mounted "post", then remove the post, and then mount the recliner on a large metal ring type base like my friend has under his FS recliner in an Allegro Bay. That way, I could put the recliner anywhere-as he does! Anybody got any better ideas?? ED
Old 07-18-2005, 04:00 AM   #22

Our rocker stopper works pretty good. The better half can sit in it while traveling and not get sea-sick ( or could it be I am driving a little straighter lol)

Old 07-26-2005, 05:52 AM   #23

I have been watching this thread for some time now and thought you 'might' want to hear my solution. I found that the recliner in my Newmar 3778 was virtually useless in that there was not the room to accomodate the functions of the recliner. I unbolted the chair from the bottom and bought a round steel base for the chair from a Flexsteel Retail Furniture dealer(store), the conversion took only a few moments. The seat belts stayed with the old base and all of that is in storage for when we sell the coach. The recliner is now mobile and I can move it anywhere in the coach. I like this solution, we almost never have additional guests while on the road, and the couch has seat belts if we do. The steel base for the chair is VERY heavy and I seriously doubt if it 'could' become airborn during a crash. If it did it would be a very violent crash indeed and the flying chair would not matter a whit. You can install a clip type mechanism to hold the chair to the floor while traveling and unclip it when parked for mobility. Just my solution.

2003 Newmar Mt. Aire, 3778.
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:06 AM   #24

Razorback
What did you do about the post and the hole in the carpet.
Jim

2007 DSDP/4320
waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:37 AM   #25

The post is what is coming out of the hole in the floor, along with the seat belt and some other stuff you dont need. I cut a piece of carpet out from under the bed to patch the hole in the floor and used silicone cement to clog the bolt holes. Voila!!!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #26

The recliner on my 03 Kountry Star would not lock the rocking mechanism but when I took it back to the factory for some warrenty I was complaining because it wouldn't stop rocking on the road. Flexsteel took it out and put a locking mechanism on it. Not a big deal, just a little L shape piece of metal that engages the frame when it is stowed all the way back for travel and prevents it from rocking.
jolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:07 PM   #27

Originally posted by RAZORBACK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The recliner is now mobile and I can move it anywhere in the coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!THANK YOU!!
You just answered the exact question I asked further back up this thread! I'm glad to KNOW it CAN be done...now where did I leave that rachet?? Can you provide any details about how you were able to identify the steel ring base you bought? Did you take the unmounted chair in with you to get the base, or what? ED
Old 07-28-2005, 05:30 AM   #28

I believe I used the part number of the chair, and did a google for flexsteel parts and found a guy that sold me the base ring. I believe it cost about $50.00+frt. I called Newmar first aND They pretty much discouraged the conversion, then Flexsteel was VERY helpful in finding a furniture dealer for me, in California I think. I will go back on records and see if I can find the info. Start your search, if I find it, I will post it.