Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2007, 04:22 AM   #1

I have noticed that the slide out floor in our 2007 Allstar has a hump in the corner just above the outermost rollers on the inner edge. The plywood floor is failing because the roller cannot support the weight of the walls. The weight of the walls is taken by the plywood floor 2" beyond the roller support. This cantilevered load far exceeds the strength of the plywood.

The floor has a permanent hump and when the slide out is extended and the roller has run down the ramp the wall now sits lower and is supported by the fascia where it crushes the carpet. On the exterior the slide out is damaging the hole in the body.

The floor at the rear slide out wall has not suffered as much damage because when the slide is retracted there is little or no weight on the rearward rollers as they are rolling over linoleum. The rollers on the carpet have taken all the weight as the slide moves in and out.

The roller on the carpet in the front corner takes an additional load when the lock arm is engaged. This can be measured by putting your toes under the fascia while engaging the lock arm (careful). Or by simply observing how deep the divots are in the carpet.
The floor is flimsy and that's ok but the rollers should not take the weight of the walls when the lock arm is engaged. Especially the forward lock arm which forces the front corner roller hard into the carpet.
After the damaged slide out floor is fixed, I will seriously consider ripping out the carpet in favor of linoleum.

2007 Allstar,
jjbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:22 AM   #2

I have noticed that the slide out floor in our 2007 Allstar has a hump in the corner just above the outermost rollers on the inner edge. The plywood floor is failing because the roller cannot support the weight of the walls. The weight of the walls is taken by the plywood floor 2" beyond the roller support. This cantilevered load far exceeds the strength of the plywood.

The floor has a permanent hump and when the slide out is extended and the roller has run down the ramp the wall now sits lower and is supported by the fascia where it crushes the carpet. On the exterior the slide out is damaging the hole in the body.

The floor at the rear slide out wall has not suffered as much damage because when the slide is retracted there is little or no weight on the rearward rollers as they are rolling over linoleum. The rollers on the carpet have taken all the weight as the slide moves in and out.

The roller on the carpet in the front corner takes an additional load when the lock arm is engaged. This can be measured by putting your toes under the fascia while engaging the lock arm (careful). Or by simply observing how deep the divots are in the carpet.
The floor is flimsy and that's ok but the rollers should not take the weight of the walls when the lock arm is engaged. Especially the forward lock arm which forces the front corner roller hard into the carpet.
After the damaged slide out floor is fixed, I will seriously consider ripping out the carpet in favor of linoleum.

2007 Allstar,
Old 09-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #3

We have the lineoum(which mars from the four rollers), not sure what you are talking about with the plywood as it angles down on our AllStar. Dave
Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dav5942:
We have the lineoum(which mars from the four rollers), not sure what you are talking about with the plywood as it angles down on our AllStar. Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave, your plywood floor is still in good shape because you have lenoleum.
Imagine if you stuck a sheet of 3/4" plywood under your corner rollers and then engaged your lock arms. You would bust your floor just like mine. The carpet in mine has forced the roller up just like your imaginary plywood might. The lock arms in mine have forced the walls down past the roller.
If Newmar had taken into account the thickness of the carpet then the forward wall would be shorter than the rear wall and the 3 forward rollers on carpet would be at least 1/2" higher than the two rear rollers on lenoleum. They didn't. When I engage my lock arms the forward rollers are almost ripping the carpet.
The image that I provided is a bit missleading because it was taken mid travel and the lock arms are not engaged. The hump in the floor is much bigger when the lock arms are engaged. The hump you see in the image represents the perminent damage with little or no load.

I can't post another image because our Allstar is 100 miles away in the dealers shop.

2007 Allstar,
Old 09-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #5

Bob, Gotcha, yes ours is fine with the "solid surface"(lineloum). But as I said the rollers will leave permanent marks on the floor!!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some people have had the lineloum wear thru to leave a slot in lineloum. I have the granite 12" tiles ( not stone tile) that wears very well where the rollers rest on them. Just have to clean at times when dirt may collect and from rollers chaffing the tile but shows no wear marks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob just saw your pics while looking for others in photos. So I pulled up your post. I went out and looked at my main slide and it looks different than yours. I have two sheets of 3/8" plywood (plywood not particle board) to the forward edge of slide. The bottom most piece is cut away for the rollers to be recessed into floor. The bottom edge of slide leading to outside (right hand side) has a metal angle iron ( aluminum) screwed into the bottom piece of plywood and screws are covered with the dress vinyl moulding.
Your plywood ( I hope it is and not particle board) bottom piece looks like its recessed under the top piece of plywood where on mine both pieces of plywood are even on front surface of slide.
I have had three Newmars and they have all been the same design. Looking at your pic right now it does not look like mine the top piece of plywood has a large overhang.
Your roller looks slopped to the right side also. On the front edge of plywood I have a metal trim, where I can see the edge of your plywood.
I would send you pics to Newmar and this post to get it on record because its only going to get worse I'm afraid.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:42 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Bob just saw your pics while looking for others in photos. So I pulled up your post. I went out and and looked at mine.
Your roller looks slopped to the right side also.
I would send you pics to Newmar and this post to get it on record because its only going to get worse I'm afraid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
"007" I agree. When the coach was new the forward lock arm was very difficult to engage because it was seriously forcing the rollers into the carpet. The plywood floor of the slide has simply given up and now the forward lock arm is easy to engage with one hand.
When the coach was new the fascia cleared the floor and the rollers always supported the leading edge of the slide. 10,000 miles later the plywood is noodled and the fascia now supports the front corner of the slide when the slide is out.
When the coach was new we were happy campers but now the corners of our sad mouths dip down like the corners of our slide-out floor.
Can you suggest how I can send this post to Newmar? I'm not too good with e-mail stuff.

2007 Allstar,
Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would print it out on your printer some copys and show your dealer and Newmar has a contact by E-MAIL they should tell you who to send copies to. If you have a good dealer go thru him first. You can call Newmar repair center also.
Good luck.