RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Floor heat

To those wondering about the merits of floor heat, I can tell you this. I am sitting here in Dallas with outside temps around 28-30 degrees and my floor heat setting on the max. of 9. My infrared thermometer says my floor tiles are about 92-98 degrees and temps inside the coach range from 70-72 degrees. The one difference is a lack of drafts along the floor, since the tile heat is offsetting any cool drafts down there. The Oasis isn't running, so I'm getting all the heat I need without the Oasis. Now, when temps go lower, I WILL, of course, need the Oasis to help keep things warm.

But I am amazed at how well this works. Looks like each mat (total of 3) pulls about 4-5 amps. So I consider this an extremely efficient use of electrical energy. For example, with the old coach we would normally be using two electrical space heaters, each pulling about 12-13 amps. The difference is we'd be feeling much colder, requiring the hydronic heater to run.

Bottom line....if you are considering whether or not you really need this option, I'd say if you expect to regularly live in temps down in the 40's or below, go for it!

slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What do you do for hot water if you dont use the hydronic heater ?

Old 11-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
"What do you do for hot water if you dont use the hydronic heater ?"

Sorry....Maybe I didn't say it correctly...the Oasis is hot, I just don't need it for heat. So....just turn the faucet and VOILA! Hot water!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #4

Slabman is probably not using diesel for his hydronic. We have also been in temps below freezing and the only needed the floor heat and fireplace. Even with the low temps the electric side of the hydronic supplies sufficient hot water for domestic use.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #5

I totally concur with Slabman the floors being heated adds a whole new level of comfort. We are in similar conditions but I do run my oasis but only using the 2 electric heaters. I do this to ensure the wet bay is being heated
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #6

We are just settling into our new LA and I must say we love the heated floors. We have had them before but Newmar seems to do a great job with these. There are easily controlled and very even.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #7

Is only the level part of the floor heated or is the raised rear bath floor also heated? Mentioning the pads, can you tell where they are located or do they touch each other actually covering the whole floor area? Originally didn't have it marked on our option sheet considering the $6,000 price tag but after reading all the praises above I have reconsidered, bit the bullet, and added that big option to my list.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have electric floor heat in our Allure and we've not really used it much. I turned it on once and floor tiles do get warm, but I never expected it to do much more than just warm the tiles a bit.

I guess when we use the coach soon in some colder weather, I need to turn it up and see just how well it will heat things up.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Is only the level part of the floor heated or is the raised rear bath floor also heated? Mentioning the pads, can you tell where they are located or do they touch each other actually covering the whole floor area? Originally didn't have it marked on our option sheet considering the $6,000 price tag but after reading all the praises above I have reconsidered, bit the bullet, and added that big option to my list.
On the Dutch Star, there are 4 heat pads in three zones. They do not cover the the front cab area due to chassis limitations or the floor that is part of the slides, but do cover every other part of the main floor including the rear floor where it elevates up.

Mine came with drawings showing exactly where the heat pads are installed. I used a infrared temperature gun to make sure they covered the floor uniformly (which they do). They run about 82-84F on low, 88-90F on medium and 94-96F on high (at least those were the temps when it was around 40F outside. Each pad draws 4-5 amps.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
On the Dutch Star, there are 4 heat pads in three zones. They do not cover the the front cab area due to chassis limitations or the floor that is part of the slides, but do cover every other part of the main floor including the rear floor where it elevates up.

Mine came with drawings showing exactly where the heat pads are installed. I used a infrared temperature gun to make sure they covered the floor uniformly (which they do). They run about 82-84F on low, 88-90F on medium and 94-96F on high (at least those were the temps when it was around 40F outside. Each pad draws 4-5 amps.
Which one of the heat settings is the 4-5 amps? It wouldn't be possible to run the fireplace and the floor pads at those amps all at same time on 30 amp service would it, unless not all zones were heating at the same time.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They all are. I think the lower settings just turn the pads on and off, whereas the high setting just keeps them on.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All Newmar coach's have 50 amp service if your plugged into less you have to adjust accordingly.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have my floor heat scheduled to run 24/7 but notice it periodically shuts off. Is there a built-in timer that precludes it from continuously running over "X" number of hours?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
I have my floor heat scheduled to run 24/7 but notice it periodically shuts off. Is there a built-in timer that precludes it from continuously running over "X" number of hours?
Mine does the same. I suspect there is some sort of protection if it gets too hot. Asked about it during delivery, but never did get an answer and forgot to followup...