Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Folding Shower Seat help

We have the Newmar installed folding teak shower seat (a Mr. Steam product) and we have some mildew around the top of the chrome pieces that cover the hinge and bracket. I looked at the installation manual and it does not mention putting caulk around the top half of this cover (as Newmar as done), so I have two questions:
1 - should there be caulk around this piece or should it remain "open" to allow water to drain through it?
2 - how do you get the hinge pin out so the chrome cover can be removed?

Left a call back number with Mr Steam today but have not heard back from them. Any help would be appreciated.

Installation manual from the manufacturer:
(http://www.mrsteam.com/Media/Default...REV%208-15.pdf), but could not find
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 04:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
2 - how do you get the hinge pin out so the chrome cover can be removed?
Looking at the schematic, it does not appear that the hinge pins actually penetrates the Wall Brackets (1) and that the hinge pins(4) only serve to connect the seat assy.(6) to the wall bracket covers(3), therefore, based upon the wedge shape design of the wall brackets(1), I would assume the wall bracket covers(3) just slide over and down on the wall brackets forming a friction bond such that a good "bump up" from the lower bottom side of each wall bracket cover will result in the seat assy/cover lifting up and away from the wall and exposing the brackets.

Owing to the installation guidance calling for silicone to be put into the wall bracket mounting holes I would also assume not further sealing is needed. We have the same shower seat in our coach and it does not appear to have any form of sealant around the edge of the chrome wall bracket covers.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #3

Mr Steam Shower Seat

A representative from Mr. Steam called me back and confirmed that on my model of seat, the hinge pins had to be removed before the chrome cover would come off (perhaps that is why there is an access hole on the side of the cover). The hinge pins are threaded with a slotted screw head. I tapped the screw with a hammer to loosen it, but ended up breaking off the screw head, so my project is over for now. If I need to remove the cover in the future, I'll have to drill out the broken screw and use an extractor.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Folding Shower Seat help

Caulk on the top and sides would be appropriate to keep water from getting behind while allowing any water that does get in to drain out the open bottom. Had to tell in the diagram, is the pin threaded?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower