Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

Freightliner Chassis 6 Month MX

Now that we have three months to wait for our Ventana 3709, I have been looking at the 6 month maintenance required for the Freightliner Chassis. I normally do all my own service/maintenance. There are quite a few more things to do compared to our Tiffin gasser, but not to bad. However, I have a few questions.

Is the transmission fluid/filter really required to be changed at the 6 month point? I have read conflicting reports and need clarification.

The checklist shows "check/change" the oil-filled hubs (front). Should it just be checked? Not sure why it would need to be changed at that point.

Then it shows "change" Axle Lubricant Changing and Magnetic Plug Cleaning (Detroit and Meritor Axles). Will this apply to my chassis? If so, why change so early?

Thanks in advance.

John
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

Transmission needs to be checked for fluid level and that is done with the up and down button on shifter.
Again need to check oil level in front bearing but shouldn't need changing till one year mark. If you see oil on either front or backside of tire and wheel then needs to be serviced.
Might check fluid level in rear end and see if there is metal on magnetic plug.
On our Spartan K2 use synthetic fluid and change every 5 years and have fluid check with trans fluid once a year.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:53 AM   #3

Another point is that I believe Frieghtliner considers the date of manufacture not the date of sale as the maintenance starting point. Being my coach was purchased and only used for a few weekend trips until my wife retires, I'll only have around 500 miles on it at the one year point, so I really don't know what my schedule should be.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #4

As Jim points out above your maintenance schedule starts from the chassis build date, so when you get the coach register with Access Freightliner and you can get this info based on your VIN. At 6 months you just check a few things and only do the lube changes at 12 month intervals. You will get all the check lists in the chassis manual. You may want to see if you can get on the 2 day Camp Freightliner class as this is often held at Rallies around the country as well as Gaffney. Good luck!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner