Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Chassis Issues

We are seriously looking to replace our 2006 Signature with a 2016 Essex on a Freightliner chassis. However we are hearing about chassis issues with the Freightliner specifically fan clutch problems, now yesterday we became aware of a 2016 London Air that had a coolant line let go, then the same coach discovered a severely frayed Alternator belt while fixing the coolant hose issue.
I donot know any more details of either problem, but am now thinking about a Spartan chassis. Any comments regarding Spartan versus Freightliner would be much appreciated.

Ron & Dona
Summer in Damascus, Oregon
Winter: Motorcoach Country Club Indio, California
Rododavs59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rododavs59 View Post
We are seriously looking to replace our 2006 Signature with a 2016 Essex on a Freightliner chassis. However we are hearing about chassis issues with the Freightliner specifically fan clutch problems, now yesterday we became aware of a 2016 London Air that had a coolant line let go, then the same coach discovered a severely frayed Alternator belt while fixing the coolant hose issue.
I donot know any more details of either problem, but am now thinking about a Spartan chassis. Any comments regarding Spartan versus Freightliner would be much appreciated.

Ron & Dona
If you are looking for a perfect chassis that NEVER has any failures or problems, you are in for a very, very, very long and unsuccessful search.

Keep in mind that what you see on most forums is reports of trouble. Hundreds of thousands of owners that have had virtually no problems don't normally post. Just sayin' . . .
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I started a "Freightliner vs Spartan" thread quite some time ago. I had just started my research. If you'll scroll down to post 22 in that thread you'll see an update I made after our visit to Nappanee.

In a nutshell, I have specified the Spartan chassis on our London Aire order. I feel it well worth the approximately $5500 (after discount) upcharge. Freightliner has made good headway, but I in my opinion the Spartan remains the better choice.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rododavs59 View Post

Ron & Dona

You will find issues on both chassis. If you look over on the Entegra forum, you will see problem after problem with radiator failures. One owner is on his 4th radiator. Several issues with rear axles. I consider the problems you list with the Freightliner to be easy fixes. Obviously should haven't happened but I'll take those over radiators anytime.

You are probably trading out of a better coach/chassis than you are getting. It may not affect the Essex line but Newmar is on the cusp of a full revolt from the Dutchstar owners regarding overloaded steer axles.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

Perfect chassis

Well if you feel better with a Spartan chassis then that's the one you should get. I just need to mention that on the 2 coast to coast trips I made in my Freightliner from NJ, without any issues, I don't ever remember seeing a Spartan chassis repair/parts center. I did see a load of Freightliner centers some open 24hrs. Good luck and Happy Trails to you!!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank You for your input, very much appreciated.
Ron
Old 12-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We have owned Monaco coaches since 1995, believe me I know nothing is perfect,
issues arise all the time. We have always had roadmaster chassis under the Monacos. I am trying to head off potential problems by doing a bit of research.

Ron
Old 12-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
For me FL or Spartan is no difference. Go to Spartan Chassis to see where the authorized Spartan service centers are located. In a nutshell there are plenty of service centers (over 600). However, I'd rather make a decision on performance. For me, there is no difference. I would not pay extra for either chassis. Both will have their issues, from time to time. Neither chassis has any chronic/systemic issues. Both use industry standard parts. Both of these chassis are like toasters. They just quietly do their job each and every day. This assumes one completes the maintenance schedule and does not overload the chassis. Consider focusing on,
1. floor plan
2. will the coach carry you, your family and all your stuff
3. will the coach tow what you want to tow
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner