RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Freightliner initial 6-month PM service

Our previous motor home was on a PowerGlide chassis and required annual preventative maintenance of lube, oil/filter and fuel filters. The axle lube was changed at 5 years. Our new 2017 Dutch Star on a Freightliner chassis calls for an initial 6-month PM service. I was surprised to see such a large number of maintenance items so I called Freightliner. In a conversation with the Freightliner Rep I was told that in addition to lube, oil/filter and fuel filters, I should have the following performed:

1. Change oil in mechanical fan drive gearbox.
2. Change oil in tag axle hubs, if I replace with synthetic there is no need to change in subsequent years.
3. Change rear axle lubricant
4. Change Hydraulic Reservoir Filter

It appears the 6-month service will be fairly costly if all the listed items are performed. I am curious as to what others think. Is there general consensus that the long list of 6-month PS service items are necessary? If not, which of the items do you think are important?

LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #2

Ouch! I wonder what a Spartan chassis requires at service intervals...

DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my experience with the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney, SC and their 24/7 Help Line everyone has been a 'straight-shooter.' You should go to the Freightliner website and download the PM checklists. An overview of the specifically recommended items and their intervals may provide a better sense of the relative importance of each item.

Also a good idea to download their app '24-7 Direct.' You might also consider what impact your decisions may have on the chassis warranty - if any.

I don't recall having the hydraulic reservoir filter changed - and would have to look to see if there's one on my chassis. Otherwise all the items were reasonable to me. I also had them do a 4-corner weight and recommend tire pressures, check the suspension heights, correct a tire roll-out vibration and fix an air leak.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #4

just went through the same case scenario with the freightliner manual, went to the local truck stop and the Tec took me aside and said if I do all the things the manual says I will just be taking your money all these items are not required right now at first oil change 12 -15,000 miles ,at 25,000 they start to look at the other items. I think its the engine manufactures covering themselves. good shops will tell you if other items need attention. TOM AND JOANNE
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Our previous motor home was on a PowerGlide chassis and required annual preventative maintenance of lube, oil/filter and fuel filters. The axle lube was changed at 5 years. Our new 2017 Dutch Star on a Freightliner chassis calls for an initial 6-month PM service. I was surprised to see such a large number of maintenance items so I called Freightliner. In a conversation with the Freightliner Rep I was told that in addition to lube, oil/filter and fuel filters, I should have the following performed:

1. Change oil in mechanical fan drive gearbox.
2. Change oil in tag axle hubs, if I replace with synthetic there is no need to change in subsequent years.
3. Change rear axle lubricant
4. Change Hydraulic Reservoir Filter

It appears the 6-month service will be fairly costly if all the listed items are performed. I am curious as to what others think. Is there general consensus that the long list of 6-month PS service items are necessary? If not, which of the items do you think are important?

Surprised I guy that flew Huey's would question the need for PM. That being said, Frieghtliner factory service in Gaffney, SC is the best and straight shooters and very reasonable charges for service provide and done right. Not sue how close you are but well worth considering! IMO
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OIL CHANGE INFORMATION
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #7

I'll share my experience relative to Freightliner service intervals.....We took delivery of our 2016 DS in September 2015. In June 2016 we attended Camp Freightliner. At that time we had ~4000 miles on the unit so I scheduled the 6 month/6000 mile service as we attended the class. While in Gaffney I learned the only difference in the 6 month/6000 mile service and the 12 month/15000 mile service checklist is three items. First, per the 6 month checklist, Cummins does not recommend having the oil/filter changed. The 12 month checklist includes the oil/filter change plus there are two additional inspections for the air cleaner and air compressor that are not included in the 6 month service. These three items are the only differences in the two service checklists. So, I made the decision to go ahead and have the 1 year service. From now on I can follow the annual checklists I received at Camp Freightliner. Presently we have ~8800 miles and will have the next annual service next June. For me the bottomline is this, one could skip the 6 month service and have the 1 year service after 6 months. The cost of the 6 month service is eliminated and you still have the benefit of having your coach serviced and checked.

Allen
wam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #8

In answer to the previous posts, this Huey pilot is questioning the need to perform certain maintenance items when other manufacturers have different service intervals for the same parts or systems. An example: my Cummins 450 engine is the same engine I had on the PowerGlide chassis. Freightliner recommends a 6-month oil and filter change. PowerGlide recommends a 12-month oil and filter change. It is the same engine. This is only one of many items Freightliner recommends at 6 months that other manufacturers do not. Freightliner may be correct. That is why I posed the question.

The 6-month PM service list is 1 1/2 pages of items to check. The four items I mentioned in the original post are the more extensive (and costly) items required at 6 months.
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
In answer to the previous posts, this Huey pilot is questioning the need to perform certain maintenance items when other manufacturers have different service intervals for the same parts or systems. An example: my Cummins 450 engine is the same engine I had on the PowerGlide chassis. Freightliner recommends a 6-month oil and filter change. PowerGlide recommends a 12-month oil and filter change. It is the same engine. This is only one of many items Freightliner recommends at 6 months that other manufacturers do not. Freightliner may be correct. That is why I posed the question.

The 6-month PM service list is 1 1/2 pages of items to check. The four items I mentioned in the original post are the more extensive (and costly) items required at 6 months.

Sorry, I understand you point now, my bad. Just envious of you new Dutch Star, My first service interval was similar to the previous post. Mileage was only slightly beyond 6mos recommendation but actual time closer to 12 mo interval , so I did the 12 month recommendations with no effect on warranty as per Frieghtliner

Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, service