Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #1

Freightliner Mechanical Help

i am having my 12 month freightliner service done at a FL center that has an RV division. They found something today as it was conveyed to me over the phone that there are 4 brackets that are connected to or on the rear drive axle and they mentioned "vride" and two of them had fallen off. This is as much as I got.

I asked how significant was this finding and they said not enough to cause any real damage or an accident.

Can you one of you experts break this down for me exactly what this is and if it is significant or not. I am not an advanced mechanical person so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

I have never noticed anything while driving it so I can only think it was a matter of time before something might have happened.

Thanks in advance for your help.
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
i am having my 12 month freightliner service done at a FL center that has an RV division. They found something today as it was conveyed to me over the phone that there are 4 brackets that are connected to or on the rear drive axle and they mentioned "vride" and two of them had fallen off. This is as much as I got.

I asked how significant was this finding and they said not enough to cause any real damage or an accident.

Can you one of you experts break this down for me exactly what this is and if it is significant or not. I am not an advanced mechanical person so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

I have never noticed anything while driving it so I can only think it was a matter of time before something might have happened.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm not sure I could identify what they are talking about from your description.

First, the Chassis is covered for three years...so they'll fix this at no charge unless the damage/loss was caused by a "road hazard"...

Second, your Freightliner Chassis is well documented. They have access to secure.freightliner.com website. There is a section called PartsPro. Ask them if they can't send you a screenshot highlighting the brackets that are missing. It will show a drawing on the left...and the component parts number listing on the right. I'm sure we would all like to see where these four brackets are to see if we need to inspect them... They should have the part numbers on the invoice after they fix the chassis as well. I'm sure we would all like to check. Seems weird for a relatively young chassis to have parts fall off already.

A lot of us do our own service work...and would have no idea what brackets they are talking about. We simply change filters, fluids, grease zerks, clean, and check condition and torque settings on a few items. I wouldn't know a missing bracket, unless it was still dangling loose from the frame.

Wish I could be of more help; but it seems you may be the one helping us --- by sharing this information. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Very, very interested in this thread having the same coach as the o.p year younger.

At Gaffney last October they found my trans cooler leaking they swapped it out.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:16 AM   #4

While at Freightliner Gaffney 2 years ago year, I mentioned that I had a clunk when changing direction at slow speed like in a parking lot. I'd have sworn it was coming from the front end. They found it was one of the V ride brackets that are connected to the top of the differential was loose. They repaired it and the noise went away. If you check the Freightliner site, you can see a drawing of the system and how it's connected. I would pull it up and ask the mechanic just exactly which links "fell off". All these parts control the location of the rear axle, so I would think if something "fell off", you would know it immediately.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:20 AM   #5

Old 02-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #6

Status

I went to FL this morning and spoke with the tech. The part in question is below and apparently the bolts can loose and in turn stripped the threads. FL warranty said tap the threads. The FL shop advocated for something better. At this point they sent the part below but there is a discussion about “upgrading” to the newer vride. The tech indicated that path is a significant endeavor and might not make the most sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F5FC01F-319F-4D0A-A273-A7543499B5CE.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	234460   Click image for larger version

Name:	93B7964A-9677-4F47-960D-E8A27C8AB9BC.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	234461  

Orinda, CA
Old 02-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a picture of the V-Ride suspension from the Camp Freightliner Student Manual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 11.43.09 AM.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	234462  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #8

parts

The part in the picture is called the "v-rod assembly bracket" part number A16-20375-000. in researching further, I am not able to figure out where it goes from the schematic but I am thinking this is one of the four brackets that possibly holds the vride system in place. It's hard to tell. The tech did say once all the brackets were failed if it were to happen, the rear drive train would have play in it and not be driveable.
Orinda, CA
Old 02-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The part in the picture is called the "v-rod assembly bracket" part number A16-20375-000. in researching further, I am not able to figure out where it goes from the schematic but I am thinking this is one of the four brackets that possibly holds the vride system in place. It's hard to tell. The tech did say once all the brackets were failed if it were to happen, the rear drive train would have play in it and not be driveable.
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Attached is the screenshot from PartsPro...for my V-Ride chassis... Includes the same part.

I hope the illustration makes it easier to see where the part is.

Funny...while I was touring the FCCC assembly line last year...a Winnebago owner was remarking that the same part on his chassis hadn’t been torqued properly during assembly and he had a loud pop and jolt when starting off. Guess the pumpkin was rolling all around back there.

Again...I cannot over emphasize how appreciative I am for you taking the time to share this with us. Thank You!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	361762A0-246A-483E-BCD1-34D7AFAA293C.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	234482  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
I went to FL this morning and spoke with the tech. The part in question is below and apparently the bolts can loose and in turn stripped the threads. FL warranty said tap the threads. The FL shop advocated for something better. At this point they sent the part below but there is a discussion about “upgrading” to the newer vride. The tech indicated that path is a significant endeavor and might not make the most sense.
When the factory fixed my "clunk" they also upgraded the system by installing a new U shaped cradle that supports the rear axle. I couldn't tell the difference visually.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Attached is the screenshot from PartsPro...for my V-Ride chassis... Includes the same part.

I hope the illustration makes it easier to see where the part is.

Funny...while I was touring the FCCC assembly line last year...a Winnebago owner was remarking that the same part on his chassis hadn’t been torqued properly during assembly and he had a loud pop and jolt when starting off. Guess the pumpkin was rolling all around back there.

Again...I cannot over emphasize how appreciative I am for you taking the time to share this with us. Thank You!
This is excellent. Thank you! Also, thanks to everyone who assisted in this thread. I am waiting to hear what the course of action is they are going to take. I will know early Monday and will post an update when I know more.
Orinda, CA

Tags
freightliner