Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Freightliner or Spartan

Getting ready to order a 2017 4369 Dutch Star

Have read good and bad about both FL & Spartan chassis .....really not sure which way to go? If you have a DS 4369 2016 or 17 in a Spartan or FL chassis please share your thoughts. Ride, tag axle (good & bad issues), service & service centers, etc

On a side note.....should I get a built in nav system or get a good GPS system from Garmin....etc...
Thanks in advance!
glester99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I went with the Freightliner because I'd never heard of Spartan. There are FL shops all over the country. From what I've read and seen, the Spartan looks more rugged, but I'm not buying a wrecker. Freightliner is now owned by Daimler, a company I know. There are a ton of Freightliner trucks out there, I don't see them broken down all over the road. Almost all the logging trucks are FL where I come from. I think you'll be happy no matter which chassis you chose, the coach is the same and that's where you'll spend your time. Ask the forum if you should buy a Ford or Chevy. �� My 2 cents...

I have the Clarion NX405TRK built in as well as a Garmin 760rv. They both agree with each other.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

i would probably stay with freightliner because they are everywhere and there service centers are awesome. i haven't seen a spartan dealer yet,there 24/7 service app has saved my bacon TOM AND JOANNE 2016 TUSCANY with Pontiac G5 toad.
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't like built in nav systems. They are usually expensive and often not kept up-to-date. A separate standalone PC or tablet with software such as copilot is the way to go. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:32 AM   #5

According to my information Spartan is the better, more reliable chassis. I can't back that up with any data except to say that Dave Garl, a very high ranking executive at Newmar recommends Spartan. As well many people whom have owned both say Spartan. That's how I ordered my DS.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #6
Community Moderator

For many years Spartan was offered as the "upgrade" over the standard chassis.....now days the two seem to be getting much closer in features.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am placing my order for a Spartan chassis 4018. The full wall slide is enough to make me want the extra strength. Spartan is a company with its base in the "can't fail" sectors, emergency and military vehicles. I have looked for Spartan (Spartan service iPhone app) service in Colorado and see 4 in Colorado. All 4 are MH qualified.
Daimler is a company I know, having owned 6 Mercedes vehicles in the past. They have a good reputation for expensive quality. I still went with Spartan because of strength of chassis, disc brakes on all axels, what I saw in quality of construction when I looked at a stripped chassis at the International Rally.
As to your side note, the latest version of the in dash nav (currently being installed) is RV specific. The previous version was not. There is a thread about that on the forum.

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glester99 View Post
Getting ready to order a 2017 4369 Dutch Star

Have read good and bad about both FL & Spartan chassis .....really not sure which way to go? If you have a DS 4369 2016 or 17 in a Spartan or FL chassis please share your thoughts. Ride, tag axle (good & bad issues), service & service centers, etc

On a side note.....should I get a built in nav system or get a good GPS system from Garmin....etc...
Thanks in advance!
I'm about to place an order as well and would like to hear comments about Spartan vs Freightliner. I am leaning towards Spartan.
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #9

I have had both, a Ventana with Spartan and now a Dutch Star with Freightliner. Only negative that I had with Spartan was that when I had a recall, it took quite a bit of effort to find someone in my area who could do the work necessary as there are no Spartan dealers around., but other than that the chasis was fine. With my current Freightliner we have a great dealer in town so getting service is a breeze, so I have to give them the edge when it comes to getting help if needed.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We chose Freightliner for ease of finding service centers if work needed while traveling. Also at home our local FL shop is 5 min away.

Other plus for us was tighter turn radius, Spartan used to be tighter but now FL is & we have a tight turn when parking on slab on side of our house.

Spartan does higher slightly higher carrying capacity but we are not full timers and knew we'd be no where near capacity. On our FL once fully loaded & getting weighed we are 6,000 short of max allowed.

Lastly my sales guy who has been at dealer for 22 years said he'd go with FL over Spartan. In the past he would of had financial incentive to say this (price upgrade) but this year there is no price difference.

Ultimately it is a personal preference, like others said: Ford vs Chevy
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One thing I did note about the Spartan that I really liked is the tag returning to straight ahead when you select reverse, no need to move before it straightens itself. If I miss judge the curve going onto my pad its easier to correct the problem. Although I would never mis judge the approach.... ; )

Incidentally I am also intend to attend the Spartan school and doing my own coach chassis maintenance. I'm 71, it will be fun!

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2017 Dutch Star on order.
Last month we spent 4 days at the factory finishing up our specials & meeting the Newmar crew. Even spent time in Building 42 - The primary Dutch Star service garage & also the building that Ken Miller has his office.

I went with the Spartan after talking with Bob Garl (42 years at Newmar) & many others at Newmar that OFF THE RECORD recommend Spartan.

I like the bigger air bags, the Spartan reputation, the disk brakes, the custom redesigned shocks for the DS (post October 2016), & the Spartan frame rails. I am not worried about "how many Spartan Service Centers exist".

We are doing Factory Pick UP last week of April or first week in May. Could have had it in February or March but too cold in Nappanee to get it sooner.

I'll tell you if I made the right choice in about 2 years - LOL.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
I have a 2017 Dutch Star on order.
Last month we spent 4 days at the factory finishing up our specials & meeting the Newmar crew. Even spent time in Building 42 - The primary Dutch Star service garage & also the building that Ken Miller has his office.

I went with the Spartan after talking with Bob Garl (42 years at Newmar) & many others at Newmar that OFF THE RECORD recommend Spartan.

I like the bigger air bags, the Spartan reputation, the disk brakes, the custom redesigned shocks for the DS (post October 2016), & the Spartan frame rails. I am not worried about "how many Spartan Service Centers exist".

We are doing Factory Pick UP last week of April or first week in May. Could have had it in February or March but too cold in Nappanee to get it sooner.

I'll tell you if I made the right choice in about 2 years - LOL.

Are the spartan frame rails higher than freightliner? I noticed the rails seemed awful low in the storage compartments
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #14

I've also got a Spartan on order - destination DSDP 4369. Been following this forum for some time, and the discussions herein swayed me (frame flex, frame clearance, construction differences, etc.). Not real scientific because there are more FL's out there, but the recent tag axle alignment issues with FL were one key factor in my decision. I also called both FL and SP service centers pretending i had an issue with my chassis, and the SP was way more helpful. They were prepared to send me to the shop of my choice for warrantee work at their expense. In contrast, FL denied a known issue with alignment despite the existing TSB.

Tags
spartan, freightliner