Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Recall-Battery Cables

Wouldn't you know it, I just had the coach in Wednesday for the throttle spring recall and a leaking dash A/C line and I get another recall today. Two days earlier and they could have done it Wednesday.

The latest recall is Campaign #FL741-A. "On certain vehicles, a battery mounting bracket may have been installed incorrectly causing the battery cable to be improperly routed. If improperly routed, the battery cable may come within close proximity to the frame rail and cause rubbing.....blah, blah, blah.

The recall relates to Freightliner XCR chassis' built from November 27, 2012 through February 23, 2016.

It doesn't say which batteries, but my guess would be starting batteries.

So.......does anyone know for sure which batteries and where the bracket is at. I sure would rather fix this myself and then let Freightliner inspect it at my leisure and then let them send in the letter that it was fixed.

P.S. Now that I think about it, it would have to be the chassis batteries since Newmar installs the coach batteries. I guess I'll crawl under there and look.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V451-9111.PDF

I am in Nappanee and will ask Monday when my coach goes in for service. Maybe they will know something about it.

Edit-FCCC help line told me via email my vehicle is not included, although I am in the date parameters.

DSD-did you get something in the mail? We are traveling so have not received mail recently.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #3

These recalls are getting disturbing.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"RMD3819".....Yes.....the recall came in the mail as a three page letter. I know from past recalls, they don't always get into the computer as fast as the letters go out. I know when they did my throttle spring recall on Wednesday, it should have shown up when they ran the VIN for the spring recall. So I'm guessing it wasn't in their yet.

It could be the side radiator coaches have different battery cable layouts then the rear radiator, but I think all models have the starting batteries in the last bay on the passenger side.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #5

I simply do not understand why they don't post pictures of the correct and incorrect configurations. I don't want to drive 2 hours to be told I'm not affected. [emoji35]
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"AzGoldDigger"......Exactly......mine is only 45 minute away, but then I wait two hours for their express diagnosis and then two more hours, if I'm lucky, before they pull it in and do the fifteen minute repair. Oh yeah, God forbid you interrupt their lunch time with a timely repair.

One day, I would like to make the Service manager and Service writers spend about two hours getting their cars out of their garage and driving to work, 15 miles away. Maybe then, they would get an appreciation for getting these things in for repair.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
I simply do not understand why they don't post pictures of the correct and incorrect configurations. I don't want to drive 2 hours to be told I'm not affected. [emoji35]
All a question of liability. The owner looks at it and says "Good to go", , notifies Freightliner, then 6 months later it goes kaboom. Freightliner has no knowledge of your abilities and their lawyers, well being lawyers; enough said.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There is another post regarding an engine fire with a confirmed cause being this cable routing. I think it was a 2016 Dutch Star
Old 09-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
All a question of liability. The owner looks at it and says "Good to go", , notifies Freightliner, then 6 months later it goes kaboom. Freightliner has no knowledge of your abilities and their lawyers, well being lawyers; enough said.

If you don't take the vehicle in and something happens its on you. If they provide instructions and parameters and you inspect and miss something it's still on you.

Perfect example is the steering box recall. To paraphrase it said do not drive the MH until inspected. Then it says to cautiously drive it to the closest freight liner dealer. We were on a month long trip and found that in held mail when we returned. I think a better approach is to also notify by email. Also include the details so I can decide if I am driving an affected vehicle.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My bad. I was incorrect on this recall. The fire was caused by an incorrectly routed power steering hose
Old 09-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #11

I got the letter on Friday. What constitutes "within a reasonable timeframe"? As far as bringing my coach in to get checked. Luckily I'm only 55 miles from FL. Don't get me wrong I am grateful that we are getting notification but if things would be done right initially.................
Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #12

Today I got a tag recall and a light bar recall. A couple days ago it was the battery cables chaffing recall.

Getting to where I hate to check my mail.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stveteran View Post
Today I got a tag recall and a light bar recall. A couple days ago it was the battery cables chaffing recall.

What's the tag recall regarding?? Might as well pkg them all together when I bring the coach in on 10/1. FL told me to plan on 5-7 days for recall repairs as they are backed up that much 😡
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stveteran View Post

Kind of like getting a jury duty notice.....
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, freightliner, recall