Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freightliner Roadside Service

I have a 2019 Dutchstar with a Freightliner chassis with 2770 miles. We have been parked in our camping spot for 2 days in Branson. Last night the temp dropped to 26F for several hours.

At 10:00am I walked outside and noticed a puddle of water under the engine. I dismissed this at first, thinking it was runoff from the roof drains.

As I walked around, i saw a drip from below the radiator, which is about 18 inches from the roof drain. Curious, I reached down and dabbed my finger in the puddle. I was horrified to discover this was antifreeze. I checked the reservoir, and the site glass was empty.

My first call was to newmar, but they were very busy, so I chose the option for a callback.

Next was a call to freightliner, at approx. 10:30. I told them my situation, and they agreed that driving it to service was not a good idea. They got my information and said they would get a mobile service called.

10:45 I recieved a call from Freightliner saying a tech would be onsite soon, but that I would need to pay and get reimbursed from Freightliner, as it was a 3rd party contractor. I was thrilled with the speed of service so far.

10:50am Mobile tech called to confirm my information and location, and said he would be onsite in an hour.

11:30am Mobile tech arrived and found a weak hose clamp. Said it wasnt tight and the cold weather was the cause of the leak, as the hose moved due to cold. Very common issue.

While there he found 4 more loose clamps and a few hoses rubbing that needed to be secured.

11:50am signed final paperwork and emailed copy to freightliner for reimbursement.

11:54am Freightliner called and confirmed reciept of my email and said I would be getting a check in a few weeks.

Now that Ladies and Gentlemen is what good service is all about, and just another example of why I am a proud Newmar and Freightliner owner!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I forgot to add that newmar called around 11:25, but I was able to close the case as a solution was found.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
26 degrees here in New Hampshire and just had to tighten all my radiator hose clamps. Had a puddle of antifreeze under coach. Very surprised how loose the clamps were.

Carl 2014 dutchstar 4364
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nice to hear Freightliner was so responsive. I wish I read that before I went out to where I store my rig, but will check next time. Thanks
SATXJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

It’s good to hear Freightliner got you roadworthy quickly.
There is a gravity “roller coaster” in Branson. You are in a one seat go cart like thing that rides on rails. You do the brakes on the car if you need them. If you can find it and it’s open you might check it out. We had a blast on it.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I glad it was a easy fix... Now imagine if you had a Spartan it would have never happened... lol
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
That is outstanding service! As a Spartan chassis owner, I have had similar service from them. Both stand-up companies, along with Newmar. And, even though I have a Spartan chassis, Sicduc, I will be checking my hose clamps tomorrow.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
That is outstanding service! As a Spartan chassis owner, I have had similar service from them. Both stand-up companies, along with Newmar. And, even though I have a Spartan chassis, Sicduc, I will be checking my hose clamps tomorrow.

TJ
I had never heard of cold weather leaks before, but the mechanic said this is very common.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I had never heard of cold weather leaks before, but the mechanic said this is very common.

Part of my routine maintenance is checking all the hose clamps on my engine and my systems every other month. Expansion and contraction can cause them to loosen up.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have a 2019 Dutchstar with a Freightliner chassis with 2770 miles. We have been parked in our camping spot for 2 days in Branson. Last night the temp dropped to 26F for several hours.

At 10:00am I walked outside and noticed a puddle of water under the engine. I dismissed this at first, thinking it was runoff from the roof drains.

As I walked around, i saw a drip from below the radiator, which is about 18 inches from the roof drain. Curious, I reached down and dabbed my finger in the puddle. I was horrified to discover this was antifreeze. I checked the reservoir, and the site glass was empty.

My first call was to newmar, but they were very busy, so I chose the option for a callback.

Next was a call to freightliner, at approx. 10:30. I told them my situation, and they agreed that driving it to service was not a good idea. They got my information and said they would get a mobile service called.

10:45 I recieved a call from Freightliner saying a tech would be onsite soon, but that I would need to pay and get reimbursed from Freightliner, as it was a 3rd party contractor. I was thrilled with the speed of service so far.

10:50am Mobile tech called to confirm my information and location, and said he would be onsite in an hour.

11:30am Mobile tech arrived and found a weak hose clamp. Said it wasnt tight and the cold weather was the cause of the leak, as the hose moved due to cold. Very common issue.

While there he found 4 more loose clamps and a few hoses rubbing that needed to be secured.

11:50am signed final paperwork and emailed copy to freightliner for reimbursement.

11:54am Freightliner called and confirmed reciept of my email and said I would be getting a check in a few weeks.

Now that Ladies and Gentlemen is what good service is all about, and just another example of why I am a proud Newmar and Freightliner owner!

thats about how its worked for me with f/l the last ten years, they always imo go far and above to get us straightened out.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:40 PM   #11

Great story on Freigtliner service. Had a cold weather leak on one of my hoses 2 weeks ago. Went around and tightened all the clamps. Most needed some tightening

It is common occurrence when I was trucking.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:53 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I call that excellent service. That is why when folks seek my opinion on what RV to buy, one piece of advice that I give is to research the manufacturers of the major components that comprise the RV. When things go wrong, and they will, will the manufacturer have your back when you are in a stressful situation.

Glad this worked out so well for you OP, and thanks for sharing.
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:27 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good report redbaron73 … how much antifreeze did you have to put back in to get it full again?

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #14

Red Barron, (on the coolant leak issue) I had the exact same thing happen on my 2018 New Aire just a few weeks ago. If you look at the engine you will see a large coolant hose on the left that has two visible hose clamps. I tightened mine 1/4 turn each (be careful not to over tighten) and that fixed it. Mine was only dropping enough to cause a 4 inch puddle but that is 4 inches too much. Hasn't leaked since. Just glad I had a side radiator or it would have been a major repair and time consumer.
R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
rdvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, service