Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

Freightliner Service Question

Getting ready for my 6 months service. Does Freightliner also service the generator, or do I have to make a separate appointment with Cummings for that? Any information I need to know before the service appointment would be appreciated.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
No, they do not do generators. You'll need to find a Cummins/Onan shop BUT you can easily do this yourself. Plenty of YouTube videos on how if you want to study those first. Also Newmar I believe will do it among other RV service centers. You could even ask a RV mobile tech that serves your local CG you're staying in to assist you. I'm not sure what they would charge but it would probably be the same or lower than a RV service center.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
This is why we use an independent diesel service shop; they do it all. And, I suspect, a Cummins service shop would do them both as well.

When we had our 2014 Ventana LE on a Freightliner chassis, we found FL a bit picky on what they would and wouldn't do. And, we found FL's service prices to be quite high. That's why we found a reputable independent diesel service shop.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #4

Dealers are independent businesses and can do as they like. Freightliner is only involved if it’s a question of warranty coverage.

Call them and ask.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #5

Generator service

We’ve had our chassis, Diesel engine, and generator serviced by Freightliner in Gaffney, SC for the past 3 years. They are a true “factory” location, so maybe they are the only ones who do it.

2016 Ventana 4369
Full timers since May 2016
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My bad. I didn’t think they did gens. Bad info from me.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, even though gaffney will do the work, they are very much overpriced and have twice caused further problems for me. 1st time they didnt reconnect fuel filter. 2nd time they damaged fuel pump when they used too long of a pry bar.

Why they used a pry bar is beyond me, as I have done the job myself many times since then and never found a need for a pry bar to remove fuel filter.

Lesson learned: Gaffney for chassis items only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
My bad. I didn’t think they did gens. Bad info from me.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Find me a RV service not over priced. When getting into RVing I learned right away do it yourself or go broke. I never changed oil in my cars. I do as much as I can on my RV and YouTube is a gold mine these days. I don’t touch engine or chassis but I’ll try anything else.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Find me a RV service not over priced. When getting into RVing I learned right away do it yourself or go broke. I never changed oil in my cars. I do as much as I can on my RV and YouTube is a gold mine these days. I don’t touch engine or chassis but I’ll try anything else.
I just had my oil, oil filter and fuel filters changed at a local Cummins shop and paid over $730 (this was after a 10% discount for joining CumminsPowerClub for $19.95 for a year). This was the first time since I've owned this MH I had this done and I wanted to be sure everything was kosher as we're heading out west in the next few days. I thought the price was a little steep, although I really don't know as I have nothing to compare it to. This engine uses 46 qts. (or 11.5 gals) of oil and I priced the oil at roughly $210, so that leaves $520 or so for the filters and labor. I'm going to check around to see if I can find a good diesel shop who might charge less as I also want to have other options in case of any other work needing done. I'm going to service the generator myself tomorrow. I don't have a problem doing any of the work needed, just not sure how I can crawl under this beast comfortably and drain all that oil! I take my vehicles to a local oil change place as it only costs me about $10 more than doing it myself. I called and asked if they could do the MH, they said they could if it would fit through the doors. Unfortunately, their bay doors are 12'5" tall and my MH is just a shade under 13'...…
Old 09-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
https://www.ruralking.com/valvoline-...hoCi6UQAvD_BwE

Rural King sells the Oil...I am lucky they are near places we camp. Tractor Supply carries it as well.

I added Fumoto valves to my engine and generator, purchased the correct size band wrenches...and perform these basic maintenance functions myself.

$730???? Wowser.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
My independent service shop charges $400-450 and that includes servicing the generator. For me, that's a good value. Certainly, Mr. Martin's price is better!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #12

Wow! That seems like a lot for generator service. Do I need to service the generator at 6 months and about 6000 miles? I am not a do-it-my-self guy, but that may have to change.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #13

The generator has it’s own maintenance schedule based on hours of operation, while the chassis is based on miles. It’s good to spend some time reading the particulars of what each calls for, as it’s not a low cost and the services on the chassis, in particular, are much more extensive than a typical light duty vehicle owner is used to doing, or paying to have done.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
Getting ready for my 6 months service. Does Freightliner also service the generator, or do I have to make a separate appointment with Cummings for that? Any information I need to know before the service appointment would be appreciated.
You probably missed the 6 month service as the time starts when they build the chassis, not when Newmar builds the coach. But if you check the chassis manual the 6 month is just a check and servicing is only every 12 months.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, service