Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2019, 09:37 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
...Spartan also discourages the use of certain items ... and in one case refused to mount anything other than Goodyear tires on an owners coach.
That is hard to imagine since Spartan installed Michelin tires on my coach and many others.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 09:43 PM   #16

I have never owned a Spartan, actually this is my first large DP and it is of course a FL chassis. I'm in no position to say which is better, I can only say how it is working out for me.

We are full time and unlike most RVers in a 43' coach we actually lug around a toad that weighs just over 10,000 pounds. We are closing in on 15,000 miles of rough roads in over 30 different States. The only time I have needed a service center for a unscheduled service was in rural southern Utah. There was a really nice large FL service center less than 100 miles from my location.

Based on how I am using this coach I suspect this cheap chassis will probably go the distance for me.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
That is hard to imagine since Spartan installed Michelin tires on my coach and many others.
No need to imagine. Read the “2 blown steer tires in one day” thread on the Entegra Forum.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
So anyone that knows me, knows I chose a Spartan and would do so again.

Being objective for the perspective of new buyers, the 2020 Spartan and Freightliner have some differences to consider .
The FL comes with the new steering wheel controls, you shift and operate the engine brake from the steering column. This is a very cool improvement in my opinion, my only concern is I’m not convinced that it is robust enough, time will tell.

The Spartan, same as 2019 comes with the Air force air line, and extended power train warranty to 5 years. (At a cost of 5K)

The reasons I would choose Spartan again:
*Heavier frame
*The design of the front end components, I feel they are more robust
*The engine access due to filter mounting location
*The engine fan design, hydraulic vs belt/shaft driven
*The engine belt design with a separate belt for the AC compressor.

Are they both great chassis, Yes! Just my perspective.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stuart W:

I question your point on the heavier frame.

The only reason I disagree is that I cannot find a published spec for Spartan that is current. Historically this was true, but when Entegra muddied the waters with the K3 chassis that wasn't the same as King Aire K3 at the time (circa 2013-2015 I think) things appeared to change. Since that time the K2 on a DSDP or a K3 on MA+ do not have frame rail thickness specs.

I know in the scheme this is a moot point as Newmar is adding what is needed to both, but it is a point I see often stated by Spartan owners that I cannot find a written spec on.

Another question regarding hydraulic fan: does it suffer the hp loss the mechanical FL fan does? Does this have a history of problems? Fl gearbox certainly does as evidenced by the numerous mods we owners have to do, most recently breather tube extensions.

I have only owned FL, but would have been just as happy with a Spartan. I figure some day I will own a spartan chassis, so learning thr facts is very important to me.

Thanks!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We'e owned them both. Each has some plusses and minuses that we think balance things out pretty well. Both chassis makers have treated us very well for the few, small issues we've experienced.

Would I buy another coach with either chassis? In a heartbeat!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
We'e owned them both. Each has some plusses and minuses that we think balance things out pretty well. Both chassis makers have treated us very well for the few, small issues we've experienced.

Would I buy another coach with either chassis? In a heartbeat!

TJ
This post is probably spot on. In reality most DP owners only use their rigs a few months out of the year and maybe 2,000 to 3,000 miles. Heck, most don't even get their engines broke in good for 5 or 6 years.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #22

When we were at the Newmar factory and Service Center this July both Malon Miller the owner of Newmar and Matt Miller had their coaches there. Malon's 19 Essex was on a Spartan chassis and Matt Miller the president of Newmar had his 19 Dutch Star which also was on a Spartan chassis. Sure think we made the right choice with our 18 London Aire having a Spartan chassis. We travel around 15 to 20 thousand miles a year in our LA. The more you travel the more you need a Spartan chassis.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #23

Depends on the year. The early 2000's Spartan chassis had a real problem with the ball joint boots rotting away. To add to the problem you couldn't just replace the boots, the whole assembly had to be replaced. And what REALLY frosted me was Spartan was aware of the problem, but figured no-one would be crawling under their coach to inspect them regularly. By the time you started having problems it was out of warranty, and Spartan was off the hook!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Freightliner vs Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Stuart W:

I question your point on the heavier frame.

Another question regarding hydraulic fan: does it suffer the hp loss the mechanical FL fan does? Does this have a history of problems? Fl gearbox certainly does as evidenced by the numerous mods we owners have to do, most recently breather tube extensions.

Thanks!

The frame difference was published a couple years back, and it was not huge, something like a thousandth or 2 more. It also added 500 pounds to the weight of a Spartan. Up until 2019the Spartan had an unlimited warranty on the frame, now in 2020 I believe it’s 20 years.

I can not speak to the HP gain/loss of one fan design to the next.
I like the less moving parts design of the Spartan hydraulic, less to go wrong,less to maintain, less moving parts.

I do find the Freightliner one belt driving the water pump and AC compressor a week link, that causes some well prepared FL owners to cary two spare belts, one stock size and one shorter Incase the AC compressor seizes.

Again both are grear chassis, just different
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #25

We have owned a basic Freightliner and a High end Spartan, Liberty chassis. I can say the Freightliner was better in the wind and had a more planted feeling.

The Spartan is smoother.

We buy used 5 or so years old. If and when we start to look again chassis would not be a deciding factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
We are looking at moving to a DP and Spartan is one of the possible upgrades. I hear Spartan referred to as better than Freightliner but have never heard why. I would appreciate any comments or opinions
Old 09-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #26
jrs

Here's the info on the 2020 DS Freightliner chassis. There's also a nice video on the Freightliner website concerning the new DriveTech Steering Wheel and the Opti View LCD Display. It's a very nice setup.
The Spartan Rep at Hershey last year couldn't answer why their K3 chassis being shown has a mechanical fan vs the K2 being hydraulic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2020-Freightliner-Dutch-Star-Tag info.pdf (494.5 KB, 36 views)
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #27
jrs

Here's the website to review the new Freightliner DriveTech Steering Wheel and LCD display. Certainly worth the time to view if comparing chassis. Lots of nice adds to the system. Love the engine brake control location.

https://www.fcccrv.com/drivetech/
Old 09-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #28
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The spartan chassis and freightliner chassis have the exact same strength when compared to the same model coach, as Newmar specifies the parameters for each chassis. For both chassis, Newmar adds a lot of additional steel structure after it is received from spartan/freightliner to prevent frame twist and to make the chassis Stronger and more robust.
Concerning the above and previous comments concerning the thicker more robust Spartan Chassis and to support rebaron's comments on Newmar specs above; Winnebago's Grand Tour 45LR FL chassis thickness is .3125" vs Newmars FL chassis being .25" thick. Each RV company sets the specifications not Freightliner. When thickness comparisons are made, need to make sure what RV chassis is being compared. It's pretty telling that FL readily makes this information available.

The Winnie front end has a 60 degree cut vs 52 degree cut on the DS chassis.

https://cdn.fccchq.com/specsheets/5b...Grand-Tour.pdf

Tags
freightliner, spartan