RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
When we were at the Newmar factory and Service Center this July both Malon Miller the owner of Newmar and Matt Miller had their coaches there. Malon's 19 Essex was on a Spartan chassis and Matt Miller the president of Newmar had his 19 Dutch Star which also was on a Spartan chassis. Sure think we made the right choice with our 18 London Aire having a Spartan chassis. We travel around 15 to 20 thousand miles a year in our LA. The more you travel the more you need a Spartan chassis.
Newmar Man

You failed to mention Iím on a FL chassis.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #30

I read some place that the Freightliner chassis had a tighter turning radius than Spartan, is this accurate?

Old 09-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Short answer is no, they are both the same. They can both out turn the toad, so turning radius discussions are usually great mental exercises but not practical discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I read some place that the Freightliner chassis had a tighter turning radius than Spartan, is this accurate?

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know about Newmar but at the Fleetwood Discovery factory, we saw them bring bare Freightliners that was just a front and back section bolted together. They unbolted them at the factory and installed the rails between the front half the back half of the chassis. We were in a group of about a dozen Discovery owners and we surprized that Lippert made the rails that spanned the distance between the front section and the back section on Fleetwoods. The frame rails were specced out by Fleetwood.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
You failed to mention Iím on a FL chassis.
When you pre-order your 2027 Essex did you order the FL chassis? Saw a number of Ventana at Newmar with Spartan chassis. Really like all the up grades that Newmar did to the 2020 Ventana. The Ventana will be the #1 sell model for the 2020 model year.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If my next coach, if there is a next coach, has FL chassis available it will without a doubt be on my coach. I could not be happier with FL's reliability, customer service, and outstanding ride.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #35

The above comment about the variations of issues based upon the year of the two chassis is spot on. When we looked for our 2004 vintage Newmar, we specifically avoided a Spartan and chose a Freightliner chassis instead. For other vintages, your choice might vary.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #36

Newmar owners are lucky to have choices in chassis because we get a better chassis when there is choice. One thing for sure is there is a difference between the two. A number of Newmar owners said last go around there was no difference and said it didn't matter. Let the chassis choice go to the owners who have done their checking and made their choice.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:54 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Short answer is no, they are both the same. They can both out turn the toad, so turning radius discussions are usually great mental exercises but not practical discussion.
The 2020 Newmar website under the Dutch Star specs, shows the Freightliner 4369 model with a 52 degree wheel cut and a 12 degree tag angle, and the Spartan with a 50 degree wheel cut with an 8 degree tag angle.

On the Mountain Aire and up, I believe that the wheel cut is the same on both frames.

I can say from personal experience that my new 2020 DS4369 does NOT turn as sharply as my Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP did, even though it is shorter. With my Tiffin I could do a full 180 u-turn in 60 feet. With my DS I now need 68 feet. I also have a much harder time backing into my driveway than I did before, and I now have to run up over the curb to make it.

PS I can do a u-turn with the steering wheel fully locked, and not have my toad within 2 feet of my rear end. I definitely notice the lack of wheel cut. I do really like the big 365 front tires though!
tqqest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:22 AM   #38

I spoke with a gentleman here at Camp Newmar last night who explained to me about his 2 year intensive process about choosing a chassis for his Essex. He took the time to visit multiple factories, did as much research as he could, and actually drove, side by side, the exact same coach on both chassisí on the same road in the exact same conditions. He did city, rural windy roads and highway. He has his wife and even other passengers in the back. He also brought sophisticated audiometry equipment to test things like road noise, etc. In the end, he chose Freightliner. Moral of the story - do as much research as you can and choose the one that suits you the best and you like the most.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One reason why a madp or higher should never choose a spartan is the Hadley system. It is a terrible design and at best a nuisance.

The freightliner uses a Valid system which is 80-90% of what Active Air is. Makes the chassis a dream to drive.

Entegra finally was able to get Spartan to install Valid on their coaches. I am sure eventually Newmar will request the same.

The news of spartan only for Essex is an indicator of how few Essex coach are sold.

The M/LADP on a freightliner is the best value IMHO, with chassis choice being swayed purely by the Valid vs Hadley.

For Ventana/Dutchstar, either chassis will work. Both can have Active air installed by HwH in Moscow, IA.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:44 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I cannot validate this, maybe some DS owners can, but I thought Spartan reduced the front wheel turn angle due to tire impact with leveling jacks?
Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #41

The argument that I was given a few years back on which chassis you wanted has stuck with me. The guy said, "Spartan is a specialty company who designs chassis to fit a specific need. Freightliner is a truck chassis builder who modified their design to fit a motorhome." If I were buying a Super C, I'd choose Freightliner but Spartan for a Class A. I believe Spartan has had fewer recalls but not certain.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #42

That is a Liberty chassis for American Coach. I have a American Eagle and I can say that it's over built, I beam chassis that is boxed in. My chassis was also fully powder coated. It's just that much more ridgid and the fuel tank is in the center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I don't know about Newmar but at the Fleetwood Discovery factory, we saw them bring bare Freightliners that was just a front and back section bolted together. They unbolted them at the factory and installed the rails between the front half the back half of the chassis. We were in a group of about a dozen Discovery owners and we surprized that Lippert made the rails that spanned the distance between the front section and the back section on Fleetwoods. The frame rails were specced out by Fleetwood.

Tags
freightliner, spartan