RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbatwell View Post
I read about Newmar not making the 2020 Essex on the Freightliner chassis, but there is one on the North Trail lot.
https://www.northtrailrv.com/invento...ear=0#image-17
Funny I saw that too last week

Ajhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #58

We had a 2017 Newmar King Aire Nothing but trouble with spartan We had to trade it in Bought a 2019 Essex With fruit Shaker I think it rides Better than Spartan So far All good

Ajhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #59

In 2017 the Ventana was only built on the FL chassis, so there was no choice. I am sure all those Newmar owners did their homework when selecting their Spartan chassis and didn't let Marketing influence their choice. When this topic was covered many times before the statement was made that there was no difference between Spartan and FL and that is something we can agree on, there is a difference. As said before we Newmar owners are getting choices and either way we need to decide which is best for our model coach.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #60

Service centers

I am not knowledgeable in the technical details of Spartan vs Freightliner. Our choice was made based on seeing Freightliner service centers everywhere and appreciate that safety net.

Also the Gaffney SC service center is convenient for us.
EurekaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #61

You must test drive an Allegro Bus made on the PowerGlide chassis before you choose. Also the Allegro Breeze if you want smaller. The Allegro is far superior in road manners and ride! Designed by Gary Jones who builds race car chassis for Jack Rousch.
George Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:02 PM   #62

Spartan chassis weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
We are looking at moving to a DP and Spartan is one of the possible upgrades. I hear Spartan referred to as better than Freightliner but have never heard why. I would appreciate any comments or opinions
I have a 2007 Newmar Kountry Star with a Spartan chassis. Our unit only has 35,000 miles but the tie rods and ball joints have to be replaced at a cost of about $5,000. Spartan used a Reyco Granning front suspension in the IFS system. The joints can not be lubricated and once the rubber boots fail the mechanisms have to be replaced. Per Spartan the chassis is designed for high mileage but not long life so it was no surprise that the boots failed with an older unit. It is also difficult to find repair shops that will work on a motor home with a Spartan chassis.
My vote goes to FL.
John Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #63

Itís really not thousands. When you take the discounts off the spartan and add the air option to the freightliner the price difference is nothing. Yes I would pay for better service
farmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Good grief! Two Freightliner vs Spartan (or Spartan vs Freightliner) threads running concurrently. I thought we'd long ago decided that it is a matter of personal preference.

TJ
Old 09-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Good grief! Two Freightliner vs Spartan (or Spartan vs Freightliner) threads running concurrently. I thought we'd long ago decided that it is a matter of personal preference.

TJ
Who decided?

Are you suggesting there are no differences between the two?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Krieg View Post
I have a 2007 Newmar Kountry Star with a Spartan chassis. Our unit only has 35,000 miles but the tie rods and ball joints have to be replaced at a cost of about $5,000. Spartan used a Reyco Granning front suspension in the IFS system. The joints can not be lubricated and once the rubber boots fail the mechanisms have to be replaced.
Those joints have not been used in many years. That problem does not exist on newer coaches is certainly not relevant when deciding which 2020 chassis to select.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
We are looking at moving to a DP and Spartan is one of the possible upgrades. I hear Spartan referred to as better than Freightliner but have never heard why. I would appreciate any comments or opinions
Freightliner has Freightliner and FCCC dealers nationwide where you can get Freightliner parts and service. Spartan has no Spartan dealers. Easy choice for me;
jimheiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #68

Don’t honestly think there is significant difference between the two.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikena View Post
Don’t honestly think there is significant difference between the two.
A example of the differences was really apparent in 2017 Dutch Star chassis choice. In 17 with no up charge the Spartan DS chassis had disc brakes on all 3 axles with the 40 and 43 foot models. The FL chassis only had disc on front axle. That is a big difference in braking and for most owners would be a major reason to choice Spartan. In 18 the DS had disc on both front and drive axle but drums on tag and again FL only had disc on front. From these post it looks like Spartan chassis owners are more selective with good reason then FL chassis owners.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I sure am suggesting that there is no significant difference and nothing that is so clearly better in one to make the other a poor choice.

It is like:
BMW vs Mercedes vs Audi

Not like
BMW vs Yugo vs Lasa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Who decided?

Are you suggesting there are no differences between the two?

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan