RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2019, 08:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner vs Spartan

We are looking at moving to a DP and Spartan is one of the possible upgrades. I hear Spartan referred to as better than Freightliner but have never heard why. I would appreciate any comments or opinions

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Use of the search bar turns up a lot of reading while waiting for answer's...... https://www.google.com/search?q=Frei...earch=irv2.com

Old 08-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Use of the search bar turns up a lot of reading while waiting for answer's...... https://www.google.com/search?q=Frei...earch=irv2.com
Excellent suggestion to review both Spartan and FL web sites and forums that have covered this hot topic. In 2020 both Essex and the King Aire will only be built on a Spartan chassis. For the up charge for the Spartan chassis you will also get a 5 year chassis warranty from Spartan. As a 23 year owner of Newmar motor homes with 2 LA and Essex we have been very pleased with our Spartan chassis. Read the forums and then you will be ready to make your selection.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #4

If you ever go to one of the big RV shows, spartan and freightliner both bring along a bare chassis that you can look at. The Spartan appears to be built with thicker steel in some areas, and usually appears to be better thought out, with accessibility to filters, etc.

I like the fact that Spartan builds lots of chassis for Fire trucks.... Fire trucks have to be some of the most reliable vehicles out there, just because they have to be....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had freightliner chassis on my 3 motorhomes since 2008. Freightliner service continues to improve, especially in how they treat RVs.

You can get the same 5 year warranty as Spartan for 1/3 of the spartan fee when ordering.

The spartan chassis and freightliner chassis have the exact same strength when compared to the same model coach, as Newmar specifies the parameters for each chassis. For both chassis, Newmar adds a lot of additional steel structure after it is received from spartan/freightliner to prevent frame twist and to make the chassis Stronger and more robust.

Filters appear to be easier on a spartan. That may matter if you do your own maintenance.

I do my own and have never had a problem with the location of the Freightliner filters. The only one I have never done myself is the air dryer. It is the worst filter to change of all, and has to be done every 5 years.

Both have a terrific reputation and service network.

Both have different rides due to shocks, but have the same solution to replace with an aftermarket shock.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I believe the storage bays on the Spartan are a little higher, more storage room.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All 2020 got the higher storage bays...or more accurately, lower floors.

Within a model, chassis makes no difference on storage bay size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
I believe the storage bays on the Spartan are a little higher, more storage room.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #8

Some Spartan equipped coaches tend to be near or above the front axle rating once loaded for travel. Entegra comes to mind. May not be an issue with Newmar. Just an observation.

Spartan also discourages the use of certain items such as Safe-T-Plus and in one case refused to mount anything other than Goodyear tires on an owners coach.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #9

IMHO the choice between Spartan and Freightliner is a "FEEL GOOD THING".
If in your travels in your rv, you watch for how many, many,many Freightliner
trucks are on the road day in and day out, running for several hundred thousand miles each.
I would think you should be very comfortable with a Freightliner chassis.
I am.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #10

For our 2000 Dutch Star 3851 there is about a 2 to 3 thousand difference in bluebook value. Don't know why but everyone I've talked to says the Spartan is a little better. Nothing wrong with Freightliner though and I'd have bought one if I'd found the unit that I liked.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #11

Donít have an opinion on which is best, but after dealing with Freightliner in 2005 I said Iíd never have another one and to date I havenít. I do have a Ram pickup, which I really like, made by the same company so maybe Iíve given in a little.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
IMHO the choice between Spartan and Freightliner is a "FEEL GOOD THING".
If in your travels in your rv, you watch for how many, many,many Freightliner trucks are on the road day in and day out, running for several hundred thousand miles each.
I would think you should be very comfortable with a Freightliner chassis.
I am.
Regards,
JimB
This is a common misconception made by folks not involved in trucking. Freightliner trucks are considered lower quality class 8 trucks designed to a lower price point. Most of the ones you see on the road are leased for short periods by large corporations only looking at the lower purchase price. Most owner-operators who have been in trucking for a while will choose another brand truck.

If you are purchasing a motor home and planning to trade it in 2 years, then a Freightliner will serve you well. If you are planning on using it for 5-10 years, then I'd recommend the Spartan.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I guess I better junk my Freightliner before year five, before the ZF IFS front end is shot, the Allison 3000 is shot, the Cummins ISL is shot, the Reyco Granning rear end is shot and the Newmar body is junk. Oh wait, I'll still have the frame rails which I can switch out for Spartan frame rails....you know the heavier ones, ........oh that won't help......both frame rails are spec'd by Newmar.

I guess I'll keep all my components and pretend it's a Spartan after the five year mark. Now I have to decide what to keep, my Ford or Chevy!!!!!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nothing brings out the fan bois like a comparison between two respectable brands.

A sensible answer has been given.

There is no shortage of answers that are based on brand bias, but none of those bias have any facts behind them.

Tags
freightliner, spartan