Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #1

Fresh water

How much do people add to fresh water tank 100 gal tank to keep water without bleach taste?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

We have never added bleach to any of our coaches. We do drain the fresh water tank a couple times a year and also try not to fill fresh water tank unless we know the water is good there. Recommend not filling fresh water tank at Fair grounds or other location that the water might not be used for a long time.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #3

City Water is already been treated
Well Water.....depends on source.

If at a CG they are treating the water per their operating permit

So no real reason to 'treat' water in your fresh water tank....unless you are sucking up stream/lake or untreated well water.

Remember chances are the water you use to fill your RV fresh water tank with is same as the water you drink from your faucet at home.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #4

They SHOULD be treating their water. Do they?
Lynn
Old 07-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

When sanitizing my tank , I add a cup of bleach to a half tank of water, run the tank water through the water system ( EXCEPT the water heater that's on by-pass through this operation) , then go for a drive ; return home , drain tank , put a cup of white vinegar into a half tank of water, run the vinegar water through the system and go for a drive , then drain and fill the tank , flush the vinegar water out of the lines, open the lines to the water heater .
Nothing added to the tank when we're using the water, if we're concerned about park water quality , we drink bottled or purchase bulk filtered water .
We always have a 7 gal blue jug of known good water in the coach basement.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
They SHOULD be treating their water. Do they?
Lynn
All public drinking water systems are tested by the state's inspectors or local inspectors. The frequency may vary, so what is served between inspections is unknown. But the same is true for any other drinking water supply. I guess the only way to be 100% sure is to treat it yourself everywhere you go.

I would not worry about it that much. I've back backed in many western places for 50 years. Frequently using untreated water from springs and small streams, never had any issues. But not if I suspect beavers, or livestock upstream. I always carry treatment equipment, but may or may not use it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wstb View Post
How much do people add to fresh water tank 100 gal tank to keep water without bleach taste?
It is advisable to sanitize the water in your system to keep the system itself from getting funky. The maintenance amount of chlorine in pretty minimal - 1/4 Cup of chlorine for every 15 gals of water - so for my 105 gals I should add 1 3/4 Cup. If you have a canister type filter, open it, take the filter out, pour in the chlorine, reinstall canister, turn water on and it goes right into your tank (as long as you have the valve in the right position). Then reinstall your filter and fill up the tank.

If you are drinking water from the tank, install a carbon .5 micron filter just before the tap where you draw water and it'll remove the chlorine taste.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water