Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
My 2003 Kountry Star DP fresh tank takes FOREVER to fill. I have tried running the pump/not running the pump while filling - no difference. It can take literally over an hour to get the tank to 3/4.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My 2003 Kountry Star DP fresh tank takes FOREVER to fill. I have tried running the pump/not running the pump while filling - no difference. It can take literally over an hour to get the tank to 3/4.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-10-2005, 04:13 PM   #3

Sounds like there must be a restriction in your fill line..Or you might check your inlet valve screen for debris...
To fill our tank to 3/4 would take no more than 15 mins...

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
First of all, welcome to iRV2.com.

Now to your question....two pertinent questions....How large is your fresh water tank? and Is your water tank in the bay or upstairs?

Most all RVs are plummed with ½" PEX tubing. Each junction and elbow creates restriction. So you might fill with a 3/4" water hose, but that is down-sized to ½" right at the MH.

In our former MH, the fresh water tank was under the bed (above the floor). I investigated all possible ways to get the tank to fill faster. The only way is to make a modification where you stick the whole 3/4" hose into a tank filler that will accept it. But with your KS DP, I'll bet you don't have the large opening filler neck that TTs and PUPs have. Now just because you don't have one now, doesn't mean that Camping World can't install one. Yes they can.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mark, welcome to irv2
Is this a new coach to you or have you owned it since new On your water panel where you connect your hose you have a lever to operate to send fresh water to your tank. Its a direct feed to the tank. If its not turned all the way to left it will fill slowly. This same lever has to be turned straight up after filling or water pump will not pump water out of fresh water tank. Your over flow tubes maybe plugged some how not allowing air to escape out of your water tanks. I have two tanks split between the rails with two air vents, one for each tank.
Some people have put clips on vent tubes to prevent water from spilling out after filling tanks. You can see the rubber flat tubes hanging down under the floor near tanks. Your tanks have to vent for water to flow fast enough. Your tubes off top of tanks may have something crushing them not allowing air to flow freely out of tanks. Your pump only pumps the water out of tanks into your water system "does not pump into tank". You should have a clear plastic tube that you will use to winterize your plumbing, in up coming months, that feeds the rv-anti thru your pump when you close another valve from fresh water tank, after draining tank. Do you have good water pressure in your sys when hooked to pedesel water, check your whole house water filter or the screen washer on water inlet where you connect your hose. Let us know how you make out to follow up for you. ALSO you can put info on type of coach an chassis in your sig. so everyone will know what you have an you don't have to type it everytime you need some help. You can also request to be a member of Newmar Forum. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the warm welcome! I just found about this site from a fellow traveler.

Let me first answer the questions posed to me: I bought the coach new in Nov. 2003. It has always been a problem filling the water tank AND getting adequate pressure off the mains. I have had the filler valve replaced with no improvement. Removing the filler screen makes no difference. The fill valve is properly oriented depending on whether I am trying to fill, or use the shore water.

The water tank is below the floor, and the overflow tube does drain excess water (if I can ever get it to fill completely!).

George, I do not understand what you mean by "I'll bet you don't have the large opening filler neck that TTs and PUPs have", so I can't address this suggestion.

I will bypass the whole house water filter tomorrow and see if it makes any difference, although I just replaced the filter element about 4 months ago.

Sorry I took so long to answer, we were on the road yesterday.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Mark,
PUPs and TTs have a large opening, usually 1¼" I.D. to fill the fresh water tank. It is large enough to stick the whole end of the hose in side the opening.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you George - I wasn't aware of that.

How do I subscribe to this forum?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have you aboard.

For clarification, the large water fill connection being referred to is a gravity fill connection. A lot of MoHo and larger trailers have a fill system to the fresh water tank from the fresh water hook up. This is a pressure fill connection and is generally 1/2" or 3/4" line and will fill the tank as fast or faster than a gravity fill provided you do not have a plumbing problem. You need to se if the tank is properly vented. If it has a restrictive vent, it will be slow to fill.

It sounds as through you fill your tank through a pressure fill and the whole-house filter. These filers are generally very restrictive even when clean. You might try pulling the filter element from the filter and filling and see how your water pressure is then. I think you will find it much better.

Let us know what you find out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:36 AM   #10

There is a one way check-valve on the water line to the coach. On my MADP, it is directly after the fresh water hose reel. I had low water pressure on city hook-up and a very slow filling fresh water tank. Removed the in line valve, tested, and problem solved. Replace the valve with a brass valve available at well stocked RV store.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:31 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
THANK YOU ALL ! ! ! !

It was a clogged whole house filter - I really got into something nasty because hat filter is only 4 months old. Ah well, live and learn.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you are placed in a remote part of CG at the end of pipe line you can't believe the brown stuff that comes out of their water line. I always run it for a while before hooking up water. "007"
Old 09-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #13

I have the same problem, but different and did not see an answer as of yet. I have a split tank underneath (03' 32' scottsdale) and the tank closest to the filler fills very fast, yet the other tank does not fill hardly at all. Water pours out of the overflow of the closer tank way before I can get the other tank to fill. I can see water flowing in to the weak tank, but just trickles in, while the other tank is blasting its way into the tank? Any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dan the pipe between the two tanks may have some plastic disk in it cut out of tanks when cutting holes for pipe or your vent for second tank is plugged some how. The flat rubber hanging down below subfloor maybe stuck together place a tube thru flat portion of tube and see if that helps other wise you will have to pull connecting pipe and see if its blocked. I have been thinking of putting a valve to second tank and only useing the one tank on pump side. I don't dry camp and just filling the one side would balance my load of coach. If you are parked on a slope to passenger side all the water will drain to that side and pump will run dry. Because of the weight I only carry what I need between travel points kind of saves on gas. "007"