Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #1

Front and Rear Cap Sealant From Roof to Walls Is?

So I was up on the roof of my Canyon Star doing my annual filling in of the sealant cracks. Then I noticed where the front cap meets the left wall the sealant was missing for about an inch or so from the top side. It's a semi clear silicon looking tape like material. I have search on this site and others and the only thing I find is etrenabond. But its not that. Does any one know what this sealant material is? It is on the both front and rear caps. On the front cap it goes from the left corner of the roof to the top of the driver and passenger window.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #2

That is hard to tell from your description. What does it small like? Silicone?
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #3

I think you meant smell. But I did not smell it but looked at it. Hence why I said silicon. But its some type of tape. I try to get pictures next week when I am back home. But i thought other Newmars are sealed this way.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:12 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
So I was up on the roof of my Canyon Star doing my annual filling in of the sealant cracks. Then I noticed where the front cap meets the left wall the sealant was missing for about an inch or so from the top side. It's a semi clear silicon looking tape like material. I have search on this site and others and the only thing I find is etrenabond. But its not that. Does any one know what this sealant material is? It is on the both front and rear caps. On the front cap it goes from the left corner of the roof to the top of the driver and passenger window.
I'm having a problem sealing this overlap seam from roof to top of windows on my 2014 CS also. According to NEWMAR the sealant used is "Parbond". I used it to reseal the seams on both sides of the front cap, where the stuff had split. I don't like it as it is "runny", so applying it makes a mess (at least in my unprofessional hands) and doesn't last very long. Here are other suggestions I got and might try next time.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/seal...am-279208.html
Old 04-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #5

cenfl thats exactly my issue. I have para bond but as you stated its a bit runny may get and try the 3m tape. It looks like a good replacement and alternate option for other eternabond tape applications. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

So last weekend I applied the 3M tape after cleaning the area, then wiping the spot with mineral spirits. It worked so well I didi all 4 corners. Here is a pick of one corner before the fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	159081  
Old 04-22-2017, 05:28 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
So last weekend I applied the 3M tape after cleaning the area, then wiping the spot with mineral spirits. It worked so well I didi all 4 corners. Here is a pick of one corner before the fix.
Please post a pic after the fix with the 3M tape applied. Hopefully it looks better than the result I got with the Parbond stuff.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #8

Wanted to post pictures of the fix after a week to see if it worked. Happy to report all is fine. I did realize that this stuff will only stick to the body. It will not stick to silicone, decor or and thing else similar.

The first picture is from the ground up turn to the left - thanks you iPhone - not
The second pic is from the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2969.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	159300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2970.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	159301  

Tags