Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Front Blow Out with Comfort Drive

Has anyone had a front blow out with Comfort Drive? I'm curious as to how the unit handled during a blow out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #2

I did. I spoke to Ken S afterword. He was interested in how it handled. The best advice is to watch the Michelin video which saved my live. I first hit the brakes then I remembered the video and floored it. Once it was under control I was able to get it to the side of the road. I feel the comfort drive helped. Ken told me he has a video of a blowout with no hands on the wheel but the lawyers will not allow it to be uploaded.

I just came back from a 20 hour drive round trip picking up my son from space camp. I believe comfort drive allows you to drive so much longer because it removes the stress.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. One of the things I had wondered about with the Comfort Drive was whether or not it would be helpful in the event of a blow out. It sounds like it was helpful in your situation. Thanks again for the response.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Here is the Michelin video on blowouts if you haven't seen it and for those who may be watching this thread and afraid to ask. I like to watch it a couple times a year because you never know.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
wnytaxman; if you're only reason for buying the system is so that you have it in case of a blow out, IMO I wouldn't spend the money. The chances of having a front blow-out are slim to none. I drove Truck over the road and had 1 front blow-out and had drove OVER 1 million miles in that time.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mr Lindy

I don't think it would ever be "THE" reason, but it could be "ANOTHER" reason to purchase a coach with Comfort Drive.

Initially I was opposed to the concept of a computer messing with my steering system. That was when I owned an 04 Dutch Star. In 2011 I purchased an 07 MA that had it. After two weeks I became a convert! I could drive longer with less stress and fatigue at the end of day.

My personal opinion is that Newmar has hit a home run with this product.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, I've watched the Michelin Blow-out video & learned what to do & not do, but I have a question: what do you do if you're on cruise control & have a blow-out? Do you touch the brake to disengage cruise control first or "floor it", get it under control, then disengage cruise control?

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Ok, I've watched the Michelin Blow-out video & learned what to do & not do, but I have a question: what do you do if you're on cruise control & have a blow-out? Do you touch the brake to disengage cruise control first or "floor it", get it under control, then disengage cruise control?

From what I have learned from the video is that acceleration is the key element to keeping control. Shut the cruise off rather than braking. jmo
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post

It's only my opinion but given the available acceleration at high-speed, I think the background reason for hitting the throttle at the onset of front tire air loss is to give the right foot something meaningful to do, keeping it from stomping the brakes at just the wrong time. I have had 8 blowouts myself with Comfort Drive and ridden through 20 more without it. Of the 28 that I've been involved in, two were such that I was glad we were on a test track and knowing what was about to happen. Delamination and air loss is an inherently chaotic event and I wish I had a year on a test track and the time to research it completely. Until I do, I will trust the Michelin work and stomp the gas first.

As to the cruise control, if you follow Michelin's guide, cruise control will not interfere with stomping the gas. When you are alert and ready to brake, you gently apply brakes which will disconnect the cruise control too. Short answer: cruise control will not make a difference in what you do.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
It's only my opinion but given the available acceleration at high-speed, I think the background reason for hitting the throttle at the onset of front tire air loss is to give the right foot something meaningful to do, keeping it from stomping the brakes at just the wrong time. I have had 8 blowouts myself with Comfort Drive and ridden through 20 more without it. Of the 28 that I've been involved in, two were such that I was glad we were on a test track and knowing what was about to happen. Delamination and air loss is an inherently chaotic event and I wish I had a year on a test track and the time to research it completely. Until I do, I will trust the Michelin work and stomp the gas first.
OK Ken, I think you need to give all of us a bit more explanation of how you have experienced so many blowouts. I'm assuming your engineering background had you testing RV tires or something...otherwise you are the most unlucky guy I know
Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #11

Great video! Would have never known to press on the gas.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
It's only my opinion but given the available acceleration at high-speed, I think the background reason for hitting the throttle at the onset of front tire air loss is to give the right foot something meaningful to do, keeping it from stomping the brakes at just the wrong time.

Vehicle handling dynamics are greatly affected by shifting your weight. When you brake your weight is shifted forward and when you accelerate it is shifted to the rear. This is one of the first things you learn when racing. This is the whole idea behind accelerating if you get a blow out, don't make the problem worse by shifting the weight to the front wheels, get the vehicle under control and then gradually stop.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
OK Ken, I think you need to give all of us a bit more explanation of how you have experienced so many blowouts. I'm assuming your engineering background had you testing RV tires or something...otherwise you are the most unlucky guy I know
Or . . . he does't understand proper tire inflation! (just kidding, but I too am curious - 28 blow outs????)
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Ken Sherwin, for those of you that must not know, is the granddaddy of Comfort Drive..... It's HIS baby and all those blowouts were on a test track in a controlled environment.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote