Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Front cap question.

Maybe someone on here can help with this. Yesterday I was on top of my coach washing the roof. I have had this coach for a year and have washed the roof once and used a pressure washer. Yesterday my pressure washer would not start so I used a long handled brush and a garden hose.

As I was washing the top of the front cap I realized that that portion forward of the seam to about the marker lights was very flimsy, almost rubbery. I would have thought it would have been way more solid, but this was what appeared to be very thin and flexible firberglass.

As stated, this was the first time washing with a brush, I never noticed it with the pressure washer.

Is this normal? I have zero leakes or issues and the roof had no cracks or issues, just very flexible.

What say all? I need to get my front/rear caps as well as the radii painted due to loss of clear and paint fade, so I need to know if the roof cap is normal.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #2

Pressure washer? Terrible idea.
I've seen caps that were flexible on the top portion because they are just for water sealing. The leading edge against wind will probably be harder.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is normal. Don't step on it. Stay within the roof area even on the sides. I also have to get the front & rear caps repainted because of severe fading.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #4

Good on the normal. No I did not cross the cap strip at all. However, I did walk all over the rest of the roof with my long handled brush and did not have any issues.
Yes I did check the leading edge and it was solid. So glad to hear this is normal. Now to find a paint shop that doesn't think they are painting with gold leaf.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #5

Paint is time consuming if you want it done right. If you want to cheap out, it will come off really quick again.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #6

Agreed it is time comsuming. Alot of taping, prepping and scaffold time. I have not even started looking for prices, but I am assuming in the $2500 range. Not looking for cheap, looking for good that is not way over priced, but agian I have not priced it out. So I have no idea what it will run to do the front/back caps and both radii from front to back.