RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #1

Front Passenger Slideout Won't Fully Retract

Good morning all,

Our front passenger slideout gave us some trouble this morning. While retracting, the slideout was almost fully retracted when the front lockout appeared to be tweeked and did not extend. This stopped the slideout movement short of being flush. Tried to re-extend the slideout, and now the slideout will not extend or retract.

1. The slideout is stuck about two inches from being flush, even on both ends (no side to side difference).

2. I was able to release the lockout arm which was hung up. The lockouts move to the extend position when I activate the extend/retract button, but for some reason they both return to the safe (extended) position.

3. The slideout does not move when the extend/retract button is pushed.

4. Under bay slideout control panel shows one red light (middle) when activated then all three red lights when lockouts return to extended (safe) position.

5. I opened the interior lockout access panel inside my front cabinet and found no obvious impingement. Wires and motor appear to be working normally.

Would like to know if anyone has experienced same situation and results. We called a local repairman, but being Sunday may have to wait until Monday or later.

The slideout appears to be in a safe travel mode, just extended about two inches. We are thinking of going to Newmar for repairs. We are currently in Dayton, Ohio. How does Newmar handle unplanned repair requests?

Thanks for your help, sorry to be long winded.

BW
2006 Newmar Dutchstar 4320

BWinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #2

When I was at the factory in Nappanee this summer I meant a guy with your issue. I'd give them a call for their recommendation. Newmar: Customer Service 1-800-731-8300

As for repairs, I was very please w/ their service. And they have plenty of full hook up parking plus an overflow lot w/ everything but sewer. When getting serviced sites are free.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Do you have a rear slide that works? Is so you should also have 2 intelligence controls in one of your storage compartments. Hopefully they are next to each other.

Move your "bad" 2 pin motor plug into the known good control and use the "good" switch" to move the slide.

Hope I'm clear. This is how I moved mine before buying a new controller.

You should also be checking for 12 volts at switch and motor.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #4

Thanks. Will move the wires and report back tomorrow morning.

BW

Old 07-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

If controller wire swap does not work, will call Newmar. Good to know there are spaces while waiting for repair.

BW

Old 07-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #6

Greetings,

Tried the controller wire swap, no change.

Slideout is in a safe position for travel. Confirmed with Newmar.

Called local authorized repair shops, wait list for repairs is 3 weeks or more. Will most likely go to Newmar and wait there.

Now we have rain in the Dayton area, reluctant to travel with slideout not completely sealed. Will delay our travels one day.

Hope everyone is having a great summer! Thanks for your thoughtful recommendations. With any luck we will be back on the road by early August.

BW

Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #7

Arrived at Newmar "drop-in" repair zone today. Technicians arrived for an evaluation faster than I could hook up water and electric. Fantastic!

Techs came back a couple of hours later with estimate. Problem appears to be room sensor and lock arm magnet broken. Techs advised the controller was acting intermittent since these sensors were not sending correct signals.

While here we decided to have the awning motor replaced since it was essentially unusable. This part will need to be ordered.

Newmar treating us great. Could not ask for more. Depending on awning motor arrival and technician availability, we could be here a few days. Not an issue though.

BW

Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinLV View Post
Arrived at Newmar "drop-in" repair zone today. Technicians arrived for an evaluation faster than I could hook up water and electric. Fantastic!

Techs came back a couple of hours later with estimate. Problem appears to be room sensor and lock arm magnet broken. Techs advised the controller was acting intermittent since these sensors were not sending correct signals.

While here we decided to have the awning motor replaced since it was essentially unusable. This part will need to be ordered.

Newmar treating us great. Could not ask for more. Depending on awning motor arrival and technician availability, we could be here a few days. Not an issue though.

BW

Thanks for the update and safe travels !
Old 07-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #9

The many very favorable reports about Newmar customer service is certainly comforting. It's a very large check mark on their side of the "which RV column."
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is there any chance a can of dog food could've dropped behind the short barrier in a kitchen cabinet?
Old 07-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #11

We received our motorhome from service yesterday. They suspected the room sensor (mid slideout) and one magnet (front right lock arm) were causing intermittent slideout problems. Both of these turned out to be bad, and they replaced. In addition, the slideout motor was wired incorrectly, causing the lock arm to extend while the slideout is extended. This allowed exposure to the elements through the open lock arm cavity. The motor was rewired correctly by the factory tech, and the lock arms work as designed.

No roaming cans of dog food were found. 😀

Note: Our slideout motor was replaced by a service center in Nevada about 2 years ago. Little did we know it was wired incorrectly all this time.

Safe and happy travels to all. We hit the road in a couple of days. Looking forward to cooler weather.

By the way, the Newmar Service Center is top notch. They understand your concerns, and treat you as a greatly valued customer. If you're ever in the area, recommend taking the Newmar factory tour. Very impressive!

BW

Tags
slide, slideout