Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

Front window privacy power shade stuck - looking for help

Have been living in our 2014 Canyon Star for about 7 months with no issues with the 2 Power Shades on the front window until today. The sun shade is still working perfectly and when I went to lower the Black Privacy Shade it stop midway down the window.

I am not able to find any literature in my Newmar Case that helps with troubleshooting the problem. We are assuming possibly dash switch or some other issue. Both shades have a wire with a small box attached and I checked both and they both have a red light that illuminates when I press the button on the small box that is just hanging above the drivers side by the the driver's window.

Any suggestions are appreciated in how to troubleshoot and fix the problem so we can get the shade up or down.
Spiderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Check breakers or fuses? Possibly a motor quit? These things can be difficult to figure out. Hope it gets resolved soon.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

By chance, was the engine on at the time? Ours will not go below eye level if the engine is on. If it wasn't on, then I would look at the sensor that tells the shade that the engine is on. Sorry at I can't be more specific. Maybe one of the really smart guys on the forum will have the answer. Or, you could call Newmar Customer Service...they will be able to help you figure this out. They've always been helpful when I've called.

Please post the solution once it is found.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
You likely have http://www.automotionshade.com/English/Product-More.aspx?pSerial=&serial=144&parentNode=1¤tSerial =136
AutoMotionShade (AMS) installed at your windshield location.

Applications:

- Windshield shade for Class A Motorhomes.

Description:

- Dual motorized day/night roller shade.

Specifications

- Two 12V DC motors.
- Heavy duty, powdered coated black aluminum mounting rail.
- Available with external or fabric covered hem bar.
- Can be supplied with optional fabric skirt.
- Can be equipped with side-by-side or over-under brackets.

Special Features:

Adjustable mounting brackets:
Mounting brackets can be placed anywhere along the mounting rail, Which allows to position them where the ceiling best supports the shade.

Mounting Rail:
To prevent the shades from accidentally dropping out of misaligned shade brackets, they are being fitted onto a single, sturdy mounting rail, which guarantees perfect bracket alignment during installation.

Safety Clutch:
The safety clutch blocks the shade completely if the shade is not properly engaged in it's bracket.

Safety shut-off:
Motor automatically shuts o to prevent overheating if shade gets stuck for any reason.

AMS Safety-Retractor
Unique safety springs will not only prevent shades from unravelling in case of component or motor failure, but they will actively reverse shade movement and lift it out of drivers sight. This is an industry rst.

Ignition Lock / Safety Wiring:
Although dual front roller shades were originally not developed to also act as sun visors due to safety concerns, new safety techniques now enable the shades to perform this additional function as well. While the ignition is on, the shades will only be allowed to travel as much as needed to protect the driver from the sun and glare but not to inhibit his view of the road. Once the ignition is turned off, the shades will be able to travel all the way down to give full sun protection or privacy.

Here is a irv2 link http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/elect...is-170409.html with a Electric Sun Shade Diagnostic PDF file on the likely suspect, the tube motor. The AMS shades installed on Newmars and Tiffins have a known weak link, the motor. PDF file tell you how to upgrade the motor. Other possibility is that you need to reprogram your Ignition switch on and off upper and lower limits. My money is on the motor.

Good Luck
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

Thanks for all of the input - more questions

I am wondering if the two shades are powered by the same motor? I am assuming this is the case. We have had the RV sitting and boondocking with keys out of ignition. I did check sensors and both showed a red light but the sunscreen shade is still retracting with the button. The Black Privacy Shad is the issue and these shades are on different control buttons. The privacy shade is on the middle dash next to the Generator Start Button and I am wondering if the control button might be the issue.

Also...Are there two separate fuses for both shades. They appear to be in the same assembly frame and of course one is working. I don't know which fuses to check to troubleshoot a fuse problem.

Will spent some time reading the attachment sent and I do think this is an Auto Motion Shad although there is not literature in the Newmar Box.

Any additional feedback is appreciated.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #6

One other quick question - good sams extended service

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderwoman View Post
I am wondering if the two shades are powered by the same motor? I am assuming this is the case. We have had the RV sitting and boon docking with keys out of ignition. I did check sensors and both showed a red light but the sunscreen shade is still retracting with the button. The black privacy shade is the issue and these shades are on different control buttons. The privacy shade is on the middle dash next to the generator start button and I am wondering if the control button might be the issue.

Also...are there two separate fuses for both shades. They appear to be in the same assembly frame and of course one is working. I don't know which fuses to check to troubleshoot a fuse problem.

Will spend some time reading the attachment sent and I do think this is an auto motion shade although there is no literature in the Newmar box.

Any additional feedback is appreciated.
If you have had this problem and have Good Sam's Extended Service plan (which we do). Would this issue be covered? I noticed I cannot contact the club until Monday and thought someone might have an answer.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #7

Spiderwoman, before getting to complicated, you need to determine the manufacturer of the window shades and if they are MCD, at the top left hand corner of the windshield, you will find 2 sets of wires with a button on each set. These are "learning keys" to make height adjustments. MCD will send you the instructions.

If you have some other brand, sorry, disregard my input.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

Ours did the same thing and I think it is most likely a burnt out motor. Not wanting to take it all apart, I haven't addressed it yet. I do not see the adjustor buttons that other brands say they have so I don't think our shades have any adjustment. I went online as we have no manual for them either, but didn't find what I was looking for. Yours is most likely the same brand as ours the Auto Motion Shades.

What I did was manually roll the shade down to fully cover the window. It is easy to do and won't damage anything, just slowly turn it from the middle of the shade. When we travel I roll the shade up and attach three of those small bungee type cords with the ball on one end, one in the middle, and one on each end to hold it up. Although not the best, it only takes me about a minute to put it up or down, and it is held securely so it cannot fall down while driving. I wrap the cords around the whole bracket.

There are separate motors for each shade, but the two shades are held in place by one bracket. So it looks like quite a chore to get the shade out to replace the motor. I don't necessarily worry about taking it all apart, I worry about being able to get it all back up there, with all the screws in the same holes, as there is not much room to work with in that area.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
You should have two tube motors. MCD and AMS use the same basic motor. Newmar COM_NET for your particular RV shows you have AMS as standard.

Motor replacement is not too hard. You will need two people to pull the shade out of its screwed brackets. Brackets do not have to be removed. Replaced MCD motor in a older Dutch Star.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
You will need two people to pull the shade out of its screwed brackets. Brackets do not have to be removed.
How exactly do you pull the shade out of the bracket? Does it contract slightly or do you pull the side brackets out a tiny bit to free the two end nibs that go into the bracket slots?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Attached is your owners manual PDF for your AMS shade.

Here is a link to MCD shades install which clearly shows the clips and removal is the reverse of installation. Easy RV Mod -> Install MCD Shades – Wheeling It

AMS has very similar clips. You will need a fairly long standard blade screwdriver.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AutoMotion Dual Roller Shade Manual.pdf (1.22 MB, 747 views)
Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Again...Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Attached is your owners manual PDF for your AMS shade.

Here is a link to MCD shades install which clearly shows the clips and removal is the reverse of installation. Easy RV Mod -> Install MCD Shades – Wheeling It

AMS has very similar clips. You will need a fairly long standard blade screwdriver.
Very much appreciate your help in sending off the links to the Shade Manuals. Will post an update on repair after completed.

Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The motor change for the Automotion shade is not hard. Just 2 wires. I had to change my passenger side shade motor. I called newmar and I think the price was about $100.00. Here is a picture of the motor. It just slides into the tube of the blind.
Good Luck
JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVWL5013.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	127397  
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Mike and Cha;3069014]Ours did the same thing and I think it is most likely a burnt out motor.

Gee Mike, for $1,260.00 (option price on our spec. sheet) you would think these Auto Motion shades would last longer than 2 years!!! I've subscribed to this thread for future reference. Thanks to all!

Tags
power, window