Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #1

Fuel Filter / Fuel Separator

I thought I'd try and do my own maintenance. I got the oil and oil filter changed. The fuel filter and fuel separator have me stumped. I have the new filters in hand. And thought that if I opened the water drain valve on the separator it would drain and I could remove the filters and replace.

I drained about 2 gallons of diesel but it never quit draining.

If anyone knows the proper way to change these two filters I would appreciate hearing how.

The motorhome is a 2000 Dutch Star wit a Cat engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	253425  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 04:49 AM   #2

Because your filter is lower than your fuel lines diesel may keep draining. Some people have put in line shut off valves. What I do is have the new filter ready pre filled with diesel ( poor fresh diesel into small holes not large one in center). Put a container under filters and remove and replace. Messy job. I usually change the primary filter then start the engine to make sure there is no air in system before I change the secondary filter (pre filled). I see in your photo there is a primer pump which may negate the need to pre fill filters but it requires a lot of pumping.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

Freightliner told me they put a large bucket with absorbant material under the filter to catch the fuel and try to change it as quickly as they can.

What I do is get the fuel as low as possible in the tank and then raise the rear of the coach to get the fuel forward and the filters as high as possible. Last time I did this I lost zero fuel. Now you will get air in the fuel line so you have to do the 30 second on/30 second off priming routine if you do it this way.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
You have a primer pump with your setup. When you get the filters replaced pump the pump until you can’t pump anymore. Put some lubrications on the pump’s operating rod before pumping.
Had a 2000 DS just like this.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same as Tigerfan1. I have a couple of flat bottomed plastic containers I cut to hold the filters upright while being staged. I fill the new filters with clean diesel...I have a second sight bowl which I alternate each year. I have some wires and fuel lines that would get wet...so I wrap foil around them so the don’t get soaked with diesel. I place an oil drain pan inter the filter. Keep a handful of paper towels handy. When everything is ready...I unscrew a filter...drop it into the oil catch basin..and rapidly screw the replacement on. Tighten down both filters...wipe off any spills...remove the foil. Then Intake the old water separator back to the shop...remove the sight glass...wipe it down, wrap it up and store it for next year.

The first year as did it...I wasn’t as prepared. This procedure came from experience. Be prepared to wash yourself well with soap and water. Diesel will drain down your arm..,

Since I replace the filters with pre-filed filters...I’ve never had to do more than fire up the engine when done. It has always fired right up...and I let it run for a few minutes to make sure I get any air out that may have gotten into the lines.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #6

Take your filter housing to a local Goodyear Rubber products and have them build and add these shutoffs to your housing - easy peasy to shutoff both sides and really no spill unless you're shaky, unscrew the filter, fill and reinstall the filter. One of the best things I've done (not my idea though)

My primary is really tough to access, right up against my rear bumper, so the cutoffs made it easier.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's an old mechanic's trick when working on anything that might run down your arms. Take two rags and tie one around each wrist.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #8

Thanks for posting the picture of your filter set up ; I've always wondered if the placement on my coach was OEM.

Before you start , remove one fuel filler cap , to make sure there is no pressure built up in the tank , Then re-install the cap so as the fuel drains towards the filters the tank will start to develop a vacuum to slow the flow.

As mentioned because you have a manual prime pump , pre-filling the filters is optional , I pre-fill the primary and use the pump for the secondary .
Old 07-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Thank you for the suggestions. Going to tackle it again. I got the Powertech Generator done yesterday. It was easy peasy. Even had a quick drain for oil.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here's an old mechanic's trick when working on anything that might run down your arms. Take two rags and tie one around each wrist.
Thanks...great tip.

Good thing I don’t smoke. I imagine I could turn into a Hawaiian Fire Dancer really fast.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Thanks...great tip.

Good thing I don’t smoke. I imagine I could turn into a Hawaiian Fire Dancer really fast.

Flash point of diesel is way higher than gas , but smoking while working around any fuel is " not recommended in Motors Manual ".

Tags
fuel