Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

I've told this story on myself to several folks and feel compelled to share it with the masses....It sheds a scary,but humorous light on my actions on Sunday and maybe we ALL can learn from it...

Sunday morning was spent tidying up the coach,loading the Hummer and cart into the Stacker and saying good-byes.

I got on the road and started south on 75, thinking the thought that everything was going well, UNTIL I noticed the glean of a dash red light indicating a low fuel condition. As I looked over with shock at the fuel gauge I noticed it was BELOW a QUARTER of a tank and I was well down the road toward Fort Myers and away from Tampa.

I immediately started thinking of feasible fuel stops and couldn't think of anything that I could get into save for the Pilot at the 161 marker...Even called a northbound trucker on the CB to confirm...

I reduced my speed and watched the "Instant MPG" screen and made it to the Pilot where I pumped 138 gallons into my 150 gallon tank.

I'll NOT make the mistake of forgetting to check the gauge as part of a pre-trip inspection ever again.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

I've told this story on myself to several folks and feel compelled to share it with the masses....It sheds a scary,but humorous light on my actions on Sunday and maybe we ALL can learn from it...

Sunday morning was spent tidying up the coach,loading the Hummer and cart into the Stacker and saying good-byes.

I got on the road and started south on 75, thinking the thought that everything was going well, UNTIL I noticed the glean of a dash red light indicating a low fuel condition. As I looked over with shock at the fuel gauge I noticed it was BELOW a QUARTER of a tank and I was well down the road toward Fort Myers and away from Tampa.

I immediately started thinking of feasible fuel stops and couldn't think of anything that I could get into save for the Pilot at the 161 marker...Even called a northbound trucker on the CB to confirm...

I reduced my speed and watched the "Instant MPG" screen and made it to the Pilot where I pumped 138 gallons into my 150 gallon tank.

I'll NOT make the mistake of forgetting to check the gauge as part of a pre-trip inspection ever again.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Consider having North Trail provide a credit for the fuel in the tank. There are a lot of $s there.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Good idea Gary, although I'm more concerned about getting the $500 I'm spending at River Bend waiting for my coach....

Friday I'll leave here with the BBT and come back with the Silver Streak and I know they're going to fill THAT tank....All 200 gallons.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You are fortunate you saw the warning lights. You were traveling into the sun.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations Bob on the new rig.On a scale of 1 to 10 it looks like a "11".But do yourself a favor and don't try to run out of fuel again,because you would have one heck of a time
to get her started.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Siggy...

Although it wasn't one of my finer moments I wanted to post it to give others something to think about,with a vein of humor attached.

All I could think about was the process that would be necessary to get fuel back to those jets...Let alone sitting on the side of the road waiting for help.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
This is one reason that I made an accurate determination of what fuel mileage I get with my coach.

I know thru experience that I need to start looking for fuel at about 900 miles on the tank and get fueled by 1000 miles on a tank of fuel. This puts me right at 130 gallons of diesel. The most I've put in the tank at one time was 133 gallons- which at the time was going for $3.19 per gallon!
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:36 AM   #9

I always fill up at no less than 1/4 remaining and it normally takes 110 to 120 gal. I also always fill prior to stopping for more than one night. I have never had the red fuel warning light come on in this rig but quite a few times in my last.

Peter
Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
By the way, I notice that your London Aire has a 200 gallon tank. Now you can run it low and buy 180+ gallons at one crack. Getting into boat territory!
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote