Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
it's already been mentioned but AZ taxes diesel at two different rates depending on whether it is for commercial or non-commercial usage. the rates are $.26/gal for commercial and $.18/gal for non-commercial. if you go to a major truck stop with truck lanes in the back and auto lanes in the front the pumps are set for the $.26 in the truck lanes and $.18 in the auto lanes. a smaller station may only have one tax rate for all pumps. look at the pump and there will be a silver tag on it from the state that describes the tax rate for that pump.

anybody can fill at a pump with the commercial tax rate. if you are not a commercial vehicle you can go to the attendant and request an $.08/gal cash refund and they are obligated to refund this amount. this is also described on the silver sticker for the pumps that have the commercial rate. if it is a non-commercial pump it is unlawful for a commercial vehicle to use the pump.

where it gets interesting is in the price the station advertises on their highway price display signs. you can have two stations near each other with one advertising the their commercial rate and the other their non-commercial rate. sometimes it is cheaper to go to the higher priced station and get the rebate. i have also seen stations that advertise both diesel rates. they are called heavy use (commercial) and light use (non-commercial).
Does weight or # of axles have anything to do with who pays the tax and who doesn't ? I filled at a Travel Station in Kingman, AZ yesterday and ask for the refund on the pump tax rate posted as .26 cents/gal and was told it applied to all vehicles over a certain weight (26000lbs, I think) or 3 axles regardless. Wasn't in a position to argue!
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 12:06 AM   #16
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanukalum View Post
Does weight or # of axles have anything to do with who pays the tax and who doesn't ? I filled at a Travel Station in Kingman, AZ yesterday and ask for the refund on the pump tax rate posted as .26 cents/gal and was told it applied to all vehicles over a certain weight (26000lbs, I think) or 3 axles regardless. Wasn't in a position to argue!
If I remember correctly, non-commercial RVs are exempt from the .26 tax rate regardless of weight & number of axles. Information should be on the pump label.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #17

the info on pump states that you do not qualify for the rebate if in excess of 26,000 lbs or more than 2 axles.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
the info on pump states that you do not qualify for the rebate if in excess of 26,000 lbs or more than 2 axles.
Those are old outdated stickers. Here is the current and correct information from the ADOT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C634FE5A-2A4E-4365-A87D-C2830BB203FC.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	263256  

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
AZ fuel at Truck Stops. AZ Has tax on OTA truckers in the diesel islands, some of those islands will be marked RV. If you use those island/lanes, the price you will pay will be less. AZ realizes, rv's don't hurt the roads as bad as OTR trucks, and also don't drive the roads as much, so the cut RV'ers a deal on the price. I know this to be fact because the Flying J in Yuma, AZ S Frontage Exit, has two at least lanes labeled RV. At this one I have to go inside to use my PFJ card. However, I always fill up before laying over for any length of time so this is my last fuel stop when arriving. It's not a huge savings, but it's 15-20 cents usually. Fry's across the street has cheaper diesel, but it is a total nightmare during the day up to about 8PM getting into that station for any kind of fuel, it's even worse if they are dropping fuel. I avoid it like the plaque, until after 8PM period.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:00 AM   #20

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
AZ fuel at Truck Stops. AZ Has tax on OTA truckers in the diesel islands, some of those islands will be marked RV. If you use those island/lanes, the price you will pay will be less. AZ realizes, rv's don't hurt the roads as bad as OTR trucks, and also don't drive the roads as much, so the cut RV'ers a deal on the price. I know this to be fact because the Flying J in Yuma, AZ S Frontage Exit, has two at least lanes labeled RV. At this one I have to go inside to use my PFJ card. However, I always fill up before laying over for any length of time so this is my last fuel stop when arriving. It's not a huge savings, but it's 15-20 cents usually. Fry's across the street has cheaper diesel, but it is a total nightmare during the day up to about 8PM getting into that station for any kind of fuel, it's even worse if they are dropping fuel. I avoid it like the plaque, until after 8PM period.
Monty
If my app is correct that FJ in Yuma is charging. 3.30 per gallon. Even with .15 off per gallon thats 3.15 p/g. With the TFD card the Loves in Yuma is $2.61 p/g. Thats a .70 savings over the pump price. This is not uncommon with this program. No fees to sign up or to use the card. They take only 5% of your saving. In this case .7 cents a gallon, but that leaves a .63 cents savings.
Kountry 2SUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #21

just a clarification. i had to get fuel for my pick up yesterday. the place i use (speedway) only has diesel pumps taxed at the commercial ($.26/gal) rate. i carefully read the tax sticker on the pump and it clearly states that 'non-commercial rv's and motor homes' are exempt from the commercial tax rate and they should go see the attendant to receive an $.08/gal refund.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, fuel