RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #1

After leaving Moscow, Iowa, and heading home (about 750 miles) I thottled back and travelled at about 57 miles per hour to where I am now in Frankenmuth, Michigan (Jellystone). Now travelling at 57 MPH with an ISM 500 does not put you in 6th gear, that takes about 59 minimum. But here the secret.

Set your cruise control for 57, you will be in fifth only. Manually apply power over the cruise just to get it into sixth and then release the pedal and let it slow again to 57. It will maintain sixth now at 57 MPH and will only be turning about 1275 RPM. I averaged 8.0 MPG with winds and towing an Escalade tipping the scales at over 6k. Unit was loaded with all our winter away stuff and full water, total gross including tow about 51,000 lbs. I was pleased.

Peter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #2

After leaving Moscow, Iowa, and heading home (about 750 miles) I thottled back and travelled at about 57 miles per hour to where I am now in Frankenmuth, Michigan (Jellystone). Now travelling at 57 MPH with an ISM 500 does not put you in 6th gear, that takes about 59 minimum. But here the secret.

Set your cruise control for 57, you will be in fifth only. Manually apply power over the cruise just to get it into sixth and then release the pedal and let it slow again to 57. It will maintain sixth now at 57 MPH and will only be turning about 1275 RPM. I averaged 8.0 MPG with winds and towing an Escalade tipping the scales at over 6k. Unit was loaded with all our winter away stuff and full water, total gross including tow about 51,000 lbs. I was pleased.

Peter

Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #3

We do the same thing with the ISL and also did it all the time with our Workhorse Gasser to get to the higher gear. I think you will find the wind has much more effect than the extra gear!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Escalade </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peter

Is the Escalade 4wd or all wheel drive. I have a all wheel drive GMC Danali and the book shows it to be untowable.

Thanks
Bill
Tireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

I'm thinking Peter driving 57 has something to do with his rather being SOUTH and not being in a HURRY to be COLD!!

He usually sees the "5" and the "7" but the OTHER WAY AROUND!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Peter,

Back in Frankenmuth huh. I forget if you told me, do you have family in the area? We are scrambling to get ready for our opening on 4/27. Got another 3" of snow yesterday. I sure wish I was with you to finish the tour of your coach.

If you see Cindy, Irv or Marilyn at the front desk, tell them Scott and Sue from North Java said hello.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:15 AM   #7

Bill, The Escalade is an all wheel drive and it too states no tow. But you can't believe everything you read. They are all towable with a Remco pump installed except the '07's with the 6 speed Allison. The '07's are not towable.

Peter
Old 04-14-2007, 02:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Isn't that just great. Just ordered an '07 Denali. Guess I'll be towing the Avalanche.

Good news is the mileage on the 6 speed is pretty good considering the weight and size of vehicle.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:28 AM   #9

Scott, I'm not sure which transmission the Avalanche has, but the Caddy for sure can't be done.

Peter
Old 04-14-2007, 02:38 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, wasn't clear. We are getting the Denali. My other vehicle is an Avalanche which is definitely towable as are all GM 4WD vehicles.

As you said, 07 has the new transmission and when coupled w/AWD, they are not towable.

Just would prefer to tow the Denali XL. Good news is that the Avalanche matches the coach pretty good.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
GM uses several different transfer cases, and one has to do their homework on the specific vehicle they are considering.

My 2004 GMC Yukon XL is AWD, but is towable as is. The transfer case has a neutral position. The 2004 Denali, and possibly all Denali's do not have this neutral position.

Fortunately, Remco can help in most cases.

Before buying my Yukon I looked at the owners manual, with a curious salesman watching.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #12

Lug_Nut
I have a 2002 all wheel drive Escalade. Remco website talks about front wheel drive, but does'nt say all wheel drive. Does your Escalade AWD allow you to swith to 4WD to tow or do you just throw a switch to engage the Remco pump.
Did you have a Remco dealer install the unit or did your GM dealer install.
PairoDocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #13

The '06 Escalade is full time all wheel drive with no choices. GM said it couldn't be towed however other Caddy dealers said it could and had many doing it. I ordered the Remco for the Escalade with appropriate directions and had RV Warehouse, Cookstown, Ontario install it. I've towed now 5,000 miles and it works great. Only issue is the battery as even pulling some fuses the key causes a battery drain from the security aspect. A Caddy dealer in Kentucky told me to disconnect the battery as that's what their clients and his friend did.

Peter
Old 04-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #14

Oh, also. There is no locking steering in most GM's now. Not in my '04 Tahoe and not in the '06 Escalade, you just have the key in and one notch to allow the tranny to shift out of park.

Peter