Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #43

Just called Silver Leaf, they are open today. Tried to PM you but nogo.
Good luck.
Kelly
Clonetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #44

VMSPC running 100%
After a phone call to Silverleaf the rep told me to simply change the com port setting in the device Mgr from com13 to com4, the VMS immediately switched from "PC Port Failure" to "starting"
I started the Cummins and Bingo everything popped on the screen.
If anyone is considering buying one of these things........you won’t be disappointed, this thing monitors everything on the engine and transmission that I can think of.
......two thumbs up!

thanks for all your help with this, and thankyou Ron for all the e-mails back and forth.

Rob
Fleetchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetchief View Post
VMSPC running 100%...
and thankyou Ron for all the e-mails back and forth.
Rob
GREAT...! I thought it would be something simple.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #46

yep Its almost 11:00pm In bed reading about the silver leaf and tomorrow I will order one, I have a 2006 discovery with a c7 cat 330hp does anyone know if I can get hp and torque readings on vmspc, thanks all for great info. Joe.
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #47

Horsepower and torque are calculated values and are available on VMSpc. You can display both in a variety of ways.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #48

The last trip we took, i was monitoring VMSPC on my laptop, i kept playing with the crews control speed and watching on demand fuel, for the trip at 64 MPH, i averaged 11.4 MPG.
i was impressed, i have 65,000 miles on my ISC 300 Cummins, which just means its broke in.
I was considering just a fuel monitor, but this thing does so much more, i love it, just have to get off my duff and set up a mount for a 10" notebook.
Oh yea, no FROG, unless you consider my wife's Moped on the back!
Fleetchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetchief View Post
...just have to get off my duff and set up a mount for a 10" notebook.
Have you tried setting a netbook up against the windshield, directly in front of the driver's view? That is where I have been using mine (rather than in the fuse compartment, as the previous post shows).

On the 2000 Dutch Star the dash dips down from the gauge panel to the windshield, and that sets the netbook down below the driver's line of sight, but still in plain view, almost like a "headsup display". I like it there and dont have to move my head to see any of the VmsPC gauges. So, I am not going to look any longer for a netbook mount. There is a side benefit of that location, also; when I place it on the dash, just to the left of the windshield wiper, I have a great lane "aiming device". I found that the netbook monitor, when open, fits nicely between the highway center line and the line marking the right edge of the highway. As long as I keep the monitor between the driver's view of the two lines, I am centered in my lane. Much eaiser than watching the lines in the rearview mirrors.

I'm not sure how others aim a flat nosed MH down the highway, but I was always missing a "sight" for staying between the lines; especially, in tight areas like construction zones with concrete barriers on either side, or narrow city streets. There are times when it's hard to watch the lines in the rearview mirror and keep your eyes front.

In regard to MPG: I have been averaging 8.5 MPG, but that is when towing a Jeep Cherokee.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #50

You may find this of interest The Accuracy and Worth of Onboard Fuel Monitors
Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #51

While these iPhone/iPad wireless apps are only for OBDII at the moment, it's only a matter of time before they're ported to J1939:
PLX Kiwi Wifi - Connect your iPhone / iPod Touch to your car's OBD2 OBDII Port.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote