Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2009, 01:03 AM   #1

Full Body Paint Question

I know a lot of you have full body paint in darker colors. Do you see any difference in keeping the coach cool in hot, sunny weather?

Another question: anyone have experience with adding full body paint to a factory gelcoat finish a couple of years down the road?

We are thinking about having our Mountain Aire painted by Phoenix Painting. RV Painting, Motorhome Painting... Quality, yet Affordable
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M View Post
Do you see any difference in keeping the coach cool in hot, sunny weather?
Short answer yes. My folks MADP is dark brown, and only 3 A/C units on a warm day if you don't start the A/C early enough, you might not catch up.
CorporateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't know whether a dark color makes that much difference, as all of the MH's have a white roof.

There are two things that do matter, the walls and in some cases the roof do not allow for much insulation and when I have the sun screens on the windshield and front windows, the front area of the rig stays cooler.

I agree that it's easier to keep the rig cool than to try cool it down after it's become too hot.

Several friends have had their gel coated DSDP's painted and have had no problems. Like any paint job, you get what you pay for. They paid a lot of money to Precision Paint and they received first class paint jobs. Well worth it IMHO.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:27 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M View Post
I know a lot of you have full body paint in darker colors. Do you see any difference in keeping the coach cool in hot, sunny weather?

Another question: anyone have experience with adding full body paint to a factory gelcoat finish a couple of years down the road?

We are thinking about having our Mountain Aire painted by Phoenix Painting. RV Painting, Motorhome Painting... Quality, yet Affordable
Dennis,

I tried to leave a message on their web site, but something is broken, it wouldn't let me send. If I may ask, what kind of ballpark figure are we looking at? Do they quote by the foot? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
From a heat absorbtion view point, a dark color will absorb more thermal energy than will a lighter color. Generally the lighter the color, the cooler the surface and the underlying material.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:52 AM   #6

If your Mountain Aire is a 2005 don't you already have full body paint? We have no problem keeping ours cool. Newmar has some of the best insulated RVs in the industry. We find we usually have to run only one AC to keep everything cool.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #7

Thanks guys, could be an issue since we are 35' long with only one AC - got two furnaces though!

Dmiles - have not gotten to the point of getting an actual estimate yet, but Nick Russell said "around $200 a lineal foot" in his blog - Nick’s Blog » Blog Archive » Tin Can Tourists

bsinmich - nope, ours is a MA fiver and they came both ways in '05, standard gel coat or optional full body paint.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Dennis,

I tried to leave a message on their web site, but something is broken, it wouldn't let me send. If I may ask, what kind of ballpark figure are we looking at? Do they quote by the foot? Thanks.

Sorry, the problem has been corrected.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DennisM,

I painted a 21' light Tan Grady White boat some years ago with white Dupont Imron. Still going strong today .
Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #10

My brother-in-law was at Precision Paint last month and they quoted him $13,500 for a paint job on a 35 foot motorhome with two slides. That includes new seals and caulking, painting everything on the roof, etc. They will do minor body work free and major body work for a charge. They will also do extra work like replacing awnings and headlights. If you want the interior updated they will do that too. And they do excellent work.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
My brother-in-law was at Precision Paint last month and they quoted him $13,500 for a paint job on a 35 foot motorhome with two slides. That includes new seals and caulking, painting everything on the roof, etc. They will do minor body work free and major body work for a charge. They will also do extra work like replacing awnings and headlights. If you want the interior updated they will do that too. And they do excellent work.
Hmmmm....very interesting. Sounds like it's time to make a "pros and cons" list. I have a 30 footer with one slide, basement model. I can make the paint on the basement doors look really good, but I can not do a thing with the oxidized white fiberglass. Full body with a painted on, updated design is pretty darn tempting.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Full body with a painted on, updated design is pretty darn tempting.

Well, if you need any information I will be happy to help answer any questions you have.

Some things to start thinking about are:
Colors you want
Designs you like
It helps to take pictures of your home (side, front and rear) so you can send them to a company beforehand, these are used to make a 2D version of your future home. (try it before you buy it concept)

Painting your home is a huge decision and you should be able to feel comfortable with the company you use that your getting what YOU want.