Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Full timers' use of the Oasis system

This question is for anyone full timing or spending several months at a time in their coach. Whether using the diesel burner or the AC heating elements, do you leave your Oasis system on all the time or just turn it on whenever anticapating needing hot water/interior heat?

Also, wonder just how long the AC heating elements will last with constant use and how difficult it would be to replace the elements?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I spend several months per year in my motorhome and I use the ac 1&2 elements on the Oasis system while parked. I leave these on the entire time. If my wife is doing laundry or if we're using the furnace and want to take a shower then I turn on the diesel burner to make sure we have enough hot water. After the shower is done I turn off the diesel burner.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
I spend several months per year in my motorhome and I use the ac 1&2 elements on the Oasis system while parked. I leave these on the entire time. If my wife is doing laundry or if we're using the furnace and want to take a shower then I turn on the diesel burner to make sure we have enough hot water. After the shower is done I turn off the diesel burner.

X2, Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

I have the AquHot, a very similar system, and leave the electric on all the time. We use hot water the same as when we had a house; laundry, hand washing, dishes, etc.
We rarely use the diesel burner unless it stays cold for a few days and the electric only can't keep up with the colder incoming water temp.
The electric element should last about the same as a residential electric element, not much different.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #5

Appreciate the replys, makes me feel better about leaving the heater on so much while parked here in our back yard. We've been having an occasional night time temp in the mid 20's with the next week or so forecasted to be in the very low 30's. I've winterized with the pink stuff but we still have things in the coach we wouldn't want frozen that we might need in case we have to make a quick trip out of state due to my 97 year-old MIL in a nursing home.

After RVing for 28 years, as most of you know, now it's almost unbearable to think about having to stay in a motel.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Appreciate the replys, makes me feel better about leaving the heater on so much while parked here in our back yard. We've been having an occasional night time temp in the mid 20's with the next week or so forecasted to be in the very low 30's. I've winterized with the pink stuff but we still have things in the coach we wouldn't want frozen that we might need in case we have to make a quick trip out of state due to my 97 year-old MIL in a nursing home.

After RVing for 28 years, as most of you know, now it's almost unbearable to think about having to stay in a motel.

Wagonmaster2
Call Oasis directly, they sell a yearly kit for a little over a $100.00 to pull the recommended yearly service. Igniter cable is part of the kit.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #7

I don't want to get too far off topic here, but we are new to the Oasis system and we are currently in SC where temps have been around 40 or in the upper 30's at night. I have been using the furnace instead of the heat pumps with the diesel burner on and it really heats up nicely, but the fans never shut off and then once the proper temperature is reached it ends up blowing cold air. I would think that the fans should go off automatically. I've even looked for a manual shut off and all I can find is a switch that controls the fan by the front console and one in the mid-bath. When you shut the one off at the console, it doesn't come on when the furnace is heating so I end up leaving it on. What am I missing?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
I don't want to get too far off topic here, but we are new to the Oasis system and we are currently in SC where temps have been around 40 or in the upper 30's at night. I have been using the furnace instead of the heat pumps with the diesel burner on and it really heats up nicely, but the fans never shut off and then once the proper temperature is reached it ends up blowing cold air. I would think that the fans should go off automatically. I've even looked for a manual shut off and all I can find is a switch that controls the fan by the front console and one in the mid-bath. When you shut the one off at the console, it doesn't come on when the furnace is heating so I end up leaving it on. What am I missing?
I haven't had the need to turn on the furnace since the heat pumps have been doing their job here in the southwest. That being said, it would be good to know how the furnace should operate after it reaches proper temperature. I don't have the answer, but I'm looking forward to someone's response.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
Steve and Liz

I am not sure why your fans wouldn't shut off when using the diesel burner after the heat shuts off but I would suggest running your furnace at night on AC 1&2 instead of diesel. I am in South Carolina right now where it gets into the low 40's and 30's at night and the AC 1&2 does a great job of keeping the coach warm. Since we aren't using much other hot water at that time we don't use the diesel burner.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #10

We have been full-timing in our Ventana for over 2 years now. We leave the electric elements turned on for general hotwater, and heat. If it gets below 30F., I turn on the diesel burner for a boost as electric elements can't keep up. If taking a shower, I flip the burner on for duration of shower. When using the Oasis for heat, the blower fans tend to be a little noisy, but you get used to it. No worse than Heat Pump fans running.

Diesel use is minimal.

Service on the Oasis is really simple. Access to igniter and small nozzles is easy. Burner tube assembly comes out for cleaning, if required, with 4 bolts. Looks like re & re of electric elements is pretty straightforward as well. There are a couple of U Tube videos detailing service.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
Steve and Liz

I am not sure why your fans wouldn't shut off when using the diesel burner after the heat shuts off but I would suggest running your furnace at night on AC 1&2 instead of diesel. I am in South Carolina right now where it gets into the low 40's and 30's at night and the AC 1&2 does a great job of keeping the coach warm. Since we aren't using much other hot water at that time we don't use the diesel burner.
I will try using the AC 1&2 tonight without the diesel burner to see how it performs. I was wondering if the failure of the fans to shut off might be a sensor issue. I may have to contact Oasis.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #12

We've had our coach for 3 years and leave the electric elements on all the time. Only run the burner when and if its needed.

sbahrns, check on the thermostat (when in furnace) and make sure the fan setting is on auto.

Otherwise call Newmar, you have a relay out.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #13

I understand the "cool" and "furnace" setting to get air conditioning and heat, but where does the heat pump setting come in, and where are the heat pumps?
Old 11-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I understand the "cool" and "furnace" setting to get air conditioning and heat, but where does the heat pump setting come in, and where are the heat pumps?
On the Dometic thermostat we have a setting "HP", "Cool" and "Furnace. "HP" is for the Penguin AC/HP units on top of the rig. They usually work well down to around 40 degrees heating the rig and then Newmar says to use the furnace setting.

Thanks PDR John. It has to be a relay as they shouldn't keep running and the thrmostat is set to auto.

Tags
full time, full timer