Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Full Wall Slide

Moments ago I just spoke to Newmar .. they informed me as of 2018 - 2019 they have replaced the electric full wall slide with the HWH Hydraulic mechanism .. the rest of the slides will be electric .. I was asking specifically about the Dutch Star 4018 and the Ventana .. they said the Ventana LS full wall slide will still be electric .. I would be interested in hearing from any members that have or are having a problem with the New HWH Hydraulic system .. I have certainly read about the problems with the electric system .. thanks Glenn
gpshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

We have a 18 London Aire with full wall side and HWH system. Very pleased with it and really like it over our Essex with electric slide operation. I know that DS have HWH on full wall slide but in 18 Ventana's still had electric slide motors. Remember that the Spartan chassis is now available on Ventana's.

Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshay View Post
Moments ago I just spoke to Newmar .. they informed me as of 2018 - 2019 they have replaced the electric full wall slide with the HWH Hydraulic mechanism .. the rest of the slides will be electric .. I was asking specifically about the Dutch Star 4018 and the Ventana .. they said the Ventana LS full wall slide will still be electric .. I would be interested in hearing from any members that have or are having a problem with the New HWH Hydraulic system .. I have certainly read about the problems with the electric system .. thanks Glenn
I do not believe that's accurate on the Ventana. I'm picking one up in about a week, but there was nothing in the list of changes for '19 Ventana about switching to HWH. I believe that's only true on the Dutch Star.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I also don't believe they are switching the Ventana, one would think if we were getting 'more floor' we would have been told.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I also don't believe they are switching the Ventana, one would think if we were getting 'more floor' we would have been told.
Yea, right after I posted that I thought about the more floor and how they denied my heated floor because of the carpet. Plus, I have pictures of my rig in production with carpet and I can't believe they would go to HWH and still do carpet.

So, definitely some confusion there and again am quite confident it was referring to the DS and not Ventana, or the person at Newmar simply doesn't know and isn't properly informed.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Thanks .. Newmar rep was a little hesitant when he brought up the differences between the Ventana and the Ventana LS slides .. he seemed to be sure that the Ventana had the hydraulic system and the LS did not but I kinda detected a bit of uncertainty in his voice .. maybe he was incorrect on both Ventana's .. I'll keep listening .. I put a lot of trust in you owners .. Glenn
gpshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I was surprised at the size of the hydraulic tank and filter on the 2019 Spartan DS I saw. It's twice the size of mine. It was noted that the fan drive was part of that hydraulic system. I have no idea how they power the hydraulics on the new slide (never had a hydraulic slide) but I wonder if it's passed through the hydraulic fluid for the engine. This would explain the big tank and filter.

I've got to get a new coach, so I can see how they're doing things since I bought mine.

Bought my first part for the new coach yesterday on Amazon....$11.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Bought my first part for the new coach yesterday on Amazon....$11.00.
Ok, enough suspense, the first part was?????
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #9

what boomer said...
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #10

Is it Ventana LE or LS?
pjgolpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Full Wall Slide

Don -

Not to hijack the OP’s thread, but at least on the Spartan, the HWH is powered off the front hydraulic system that also powers the jacks. It is not part of the engine hydraulic system.

I would expect it’s the same on the Freightliner.

As to the OP’s question, the HWH full wall hydraulic slide with “more floor” replaced the “all electric” FWS with carpet on DS and above in 2016. Newmar has continued to utilize the electric motor driven FWS on Ventana and Ventana LE through the current model year (2019).

The only significant problem reported with the HWH system has been that it’s weight made the front axles on some of the 2016’s go over their max and so some of those front axles had to be upgraded.

Others may be aware of other issues to report.

We love the HWH slide on our DS but I caution folks to be sure to examine it with the slides in before buying. This is because the three inch rise that it has when retracted serves to narrow the width of the aisle. And until you get use to that, it can be a bruiser on your ankles.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dutch Star Don,
A cheaper alternative is to take the 1 PM plant tour. If nobody is in plumbing and there is a full wall slide in the bays you can see all the detail of how the system works. You can also see this when at the stations along the first 1/2 of the production floor. Then across to the other side and you can see some of the mechanics on the stations just before they install the slide. The best place is plumbing (station #1).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - This is just a shot in the dark but the two statements are not mutually exclusive. Just because it's an HWH slide doesn't mean it is the "more floor" slide. In fact most HWH slides are not "more floor" but the roller drop down style. It could be that the Ventana is being upgraded to a standard type hydraulic slide where as the LE version retains the electric one.

All HWH slides have their own hydraulic reservoir, sometimes in conjunction with levelers and rarely as a separate tank.

Tom
Old 08-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
On our 2017 the FWS is activated by the pump in the generator compartment that also serves the jacks. This system is not connected to any other coach hydraulic system.
As to problems with the FWS:
Ours came with about a 3/4” downward tilt which the factory was able to get reasonably adjusted (it still tilts downward maybe 1/4”). However after we left our factory visit the slide began to squeal and clunk right above the driver’s ear. At a visit to Guaranty Rv in Oregon they adjusted the slide to get most of the squeal out but the clunking got even worse, not on a bad road but on a curvy road. Drove me nuts! Guaranty finally found that it was what they called the donut mounted on each side of the slide opening near the bottom of the slide opening. These help keep the slide positioned in the opening. A tiny adjustment plus lubricating the lower slide side trim finally fixed the problem.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide