Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Full wall slide leveling

We have a Baystar 2903 with full wall slide. According to new Newmar instructions, after checking the "reveal" level the coach then put out the slide. If you do it that way, the coach is not really level since the slide will tilt the coach to that side. What do most people do? We have been putting out the slid then level if needed.
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you put your jacks down and level the coach, are you saying it then tilts because of the heavy slide? Are you leveling with air springs instead of jacks? I don't understand "reveal" level.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up

Ok, here comes the storm.

Here is my suggestion. Stop and park. Check your revel, the open area all around between your slide and coach. It should all be the same size gap. If not, stop and call Newmar. If the gap is equal then: deploy your jacks, recheck your revel. If it is still even open your slide. If the revel/gap is not equal, pull your jacks up and recheck your revel. If the gap is now equal deploy your slide then set your jacks down.

What you are accounting for is a twist (technically a deflection) in your coach frame. I think you are on a Ford chassis so folks reading this who have a freightliner or spartan chassis your experience will be different. I am on a freightliner STAR chassis and have no chassis deflection no matter how I deploy my slides.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:39 AM   #4

I will level, check the reveal, then if good, extend the slides. If not good, de-level and try again.

The main thrust of the Newmar FWS method is to check the reveal. I would think that leveling after deployment would still result in a level situation though it may take more effort to do so.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my most recent trip to Nappanee, my tech told me that the recommended practice for Newmar coaches is to extend the slides and then level. When breaking camp, start engine long enough for airbags to start inflating, retract jacks and then retract the slides.

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4002 w/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad using Blue Ox Aladdin
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #6

I have a 2013 Ventana 4018 - I have been watching these threads about leveling, extending, etc. with obvious interest. Is there some solid instructions (written) from Newmar on this. Not some "tech says" verbal info.

I have to say, leveling FIRST makes the most sense to me. Retract FIRST, then jacks up when leaving.

What have we heard, if the reveal LOOKS OK then extend. If not, then level??? So why not level first and be done with it?

I don't get it - sorry
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
FWS's have been discussed many times and this thread will explain a few things to know.
This thread will show what might happen if the slide reveal is not checked.
On your Ford chassis it would be best to lift each chassis side rail individually so if you have AUTO LEVEL your chassis frame will not be twisted which can cause slide problem and even pop out your windshield.
On your jack pad the side arrows will operate the front and rear jacks, manually,. of the passenger or drivers side rails of chassis.
When operated the jacks will drop and first one hitting the ground will stop and wait for other jack to hit the ground than they will both lift rail to level position.
You would than lift the opposite rail.
These threads are from the QT's # 3 link as all the links below in my signature will have info for your Newmar.
Also in QT's # 3 there is a section devoted to just the Bay Star models.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, slide