Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #1

Furnace in a 2903 Bay Star Sport

So I was using my rig this weekend and noticed when using the furnace for heat I get hot air blowing out under the sink near the door, and then under the refrigerator, and that's kind of it. Nothing from the floor vents (well low wall vents) in the bed pedestal in back, nothing from under the shower. I opened up the grill to the furnace as others have inidicated that sometimes the furnace has non-plugged openings, it does not, there are only two hoses coming off the furnace one going forward one to the back.

Anyone have this experience and figure out what to do?

thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
So I was using my rig this weekend and noticed when using the furnace for heat I get hot air blowing out under the sink near the door, and then under the refrigerator, and that's kind of it. Nothing from the floor vents (well low wall vents) in the bed pedestal in back, nothing from under the shower. I opened up the grill to the furnace as others have inidicated that sometimes the furnace has non-plugged openings, it does not, there are only two hoses coming off the furnace one going forward one to the back.
thank you.
gremlin
In my coach, (not a Bay Star) two duct hoses supply hot air to only 2 registers.
All of the other heat registers in my coach are supplied by duct work , (and/or insulated hoses), under the floor... via the plenum under my Suberban propane furnace.
(Similar to the way the "downflow furnaces" in mobile homes are ducted):

DOWNFLOW FURNACE DUCTWORK

Methinks you may gave a blockage in the plenum under your furnace... or in the ductwork under the floor.... or disconnected ductwork.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #3

Well indeed, the furnace has a plenum exactly like your diagram. Unfortunately it's routed in a manner which is a tad confusing, despite all the vents from the furnace being on the passenger side it runs down the drivers side of the coach. So from the furnace it goes 4 feet across the coach and then down the drivers side branching back to the passengers side for the bathroom and bedroom ducts.

So Anyone else with a BayStar Sport 2903 can you tell me do you get decent air out of the furnace duct below your bed in the back?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #4

If your Bay Star is like my Canyon Star 3610 a good portion of the furnace heat goes to the lower bays to heat the tanks. I have a four inch vent right over my fresh water tank. The next time you use the furnace check and see if the lower bays are warm. Mine are toasty.
Petersr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

I did find a vent above my tanks, so I taped it up to see if that would help, no appreciable difference, I really feel like there's a probability someone stepped on the plenum while it was being built, but absent like a 20 foot controllable camera snake I don't know how to see for sure.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there a second furnace in the bedroom?
ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga80486 View Post
Is there a second furnace in the bedroom?
Nope only one furnace in this unit.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post

thank you.
I have a 2903 2017 version, yes heat comes up by the foot of the bed, though the bedroom was not as warm as the rest of the coach.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need to open the grill under the fridge and gain access to furnace area and check the vent outlets of furnace metal housing and make sure none of the vent openings do not have a air hose that has fallen off vent ring and no hole is open with out a blocking ring for the ones not used.
You will have to take off the rear furnace panel facing you and look on floor for feed into the duct system in floor for no blockage.
All the tin foil ducts should be checked and make sure they are attached to finished vent, they can become loose and fall off vent if not taped.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #10

2903 Furnace

My 2903 had very little flow to the bedroom and the bathroom. There are two vents below the refrigerator. One is a return the other a outlet. I blocked the outlet, this enabled more flow to go back toward the bath and bedroom. Remove the cover in the bottom of the storage area under the bed. On the right side you will see the heater hose that moves with the bed. Check to see if it is still hooked up. The bath only has a 2" hose that feeds the outlet. This is hard to work on because it is under the shower pan and only workable thru the vent hole. The last thing you can do is silver tap the register box. Remove the return vent under the kitchen area. You will see the register with hole th
zrobotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

So I've done a fair amount of investigation including removing the furnace and taping up all the ducts on it except for the down draft vent and putting it back in, nothing increased the flow to the bedroom.

I then finally got it to a dealer (Guaranty) they found something that was "disconnected" but didn't specify what, in addition they installed a vent that I could close under the kitchen area (but weirdly not the one next to i under the refrigerator)

After that I could finally feel air moving out the bedroom vent, but not much at all, so I installed another block off under the kitchen, and I blocked off the vent in the storage compartments and that helped a bit more. It still blows to beat the band out the other ducts and not the bedroom, the only thing I can think of doing to fix it from here is to run a flexible duct off the furnace, under the fridge, under the shower and through the bottom of the cabinet into the bathroom and out the bedroom wall near the sliding door
Old 02-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
After warranty service, here is what I found out about the low air flow in the bedroom furnace vent.

The factory service people confirmed that I had slow or almost non existent air flow in the bedroom. They put a camera in the vent system and found the vent flowed from the font outlet all the way to the back of the coach, well beyond the last outlet. The air was by bypassing the bedroom vent; just going past it and to nowhere.

Just past the bedroom vent they installed a blocking device (a piece of plastic) so the air would not go past the outlet but instead be pushed up through that outlet.

This worked great. When I picked it up this week I started the furnace and it worked well.

I suggest you contact the folks at building 16 or go inside the vent and just block it with an angled piece that does not allow the air go beyond the vent and even pushes the air back and up the register.

You might also want to suppress or reduce the amount of air into the front, by the door, by using a piece of cardboard or plastic slightly covering some of the cent area in the front. They didn't suggest this but I thought it might help also.

I am now quite happy with my furnace air flow but I hope I never have to use it,

Phil
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #13

Follow up on my investigation, I opened up the area under the bed and found the 4" duct into the floor plenum for the heat. Removing that I found decent flow in that box, not at all what was coming up through the vent in the bed.

I tried just putting a deflector in there as the box actually extends past the 4" hole by at least a foot maybe two. This seemed to help but only a little. We stuck a camera in there and found no evidence that the vent wasn't closed off on the end, I still suspect somethings crushed somewhere in there, or it really just isn't designed well.

In the end we removed the 4" hole and then put in it's place a 6" flange we picked up at lowes. We used a rotozip to enlarge the hole into the floor plenum, and then changed the 4" flexible dryer hose that was used to connect to the vent at the foot of the bed with 6" hose and a step down to change the 6" to 4" at the vent. Screwed it all back together and the result was an increase in air flow probably double what we had, still not what I'd expect especially when you plug up the rest of the vents in the rig, but the 6" hose has much less pressure drop than the 4" so I believe this will help a lot.

Tags
ace, furnace