RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Furnace not working and can't locate it

I am in northern arizona and the temperature is 15 dgerees. When I set my Duo Therm thermostat to furnace it doesn't turn on. My heat pump works during the day with the warmer temp but not at night because of the cold temp.

Checked my books but can't find anything about the furnace or where it is located. I have checked all the breakers and can't find any fuses for the furnace.

It is cooold in here can anyone help??

2005 Dutchstar 3815

Bmoore_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #2

In the Essex you also have to turn on the fan, located in overhead panel, to make the furnace work.

soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome BMoore59 the the Newmar forum & irv2.
Which type furnace do you have LP gas or AQUA-HOT?
Scroll half way down the page.
Fuses for furnace would be on your 12v fuse panel inside your coach in a cabinet.
The do you know the build number of you coach similar to this number 700693 may find on cabinet door or in closet paper sheet.

HERE IS A SIMILAR THREAD WITH SAME PROBLEM
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
That is part of the problem. I know that I have a Hydro Hot and also a electric water heat. We had the furnace on when we first got here. I am not sure what type of furnace I have.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bmoore_50,
This can go in many directions without more information. Is your coach all electric (including the stove) or do you have propane as one of your fuels?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The stove is a 3 burner propane. If I could figure out what and where the furnace is I might be able to fix.

2005 Dutch Star 3815
Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Bmoore_50:

Hi from Casa Grande!!

With regard to "the location" of your "furnace"....it's likely located in a separate bay compartment...maybe just fwd. of your water/sewer hook up compartment. I'm not familiar with the layout of your Dutch Star but when ya open this comparment, you'll see a sheet metal looking box, about a foot and a half wide, a foot and a half high, and a couple feet deep. THAT is your Hydro Hot furnace.

Shootin in the dark here, but, if ya have a Hydro Hot and an EMS (Energy Management System) control panel (often located in the overhead above driver), then on the EMS panel, push the "Boiler/Burner" button (or select this from your menu) . Then, (again...IF ya have zones such as Living Rm, Kitchen, Bdrm. etc.), select one of the zones and then select "Heater." Then, while still in the same zone, check the temp settings...ie., what is outside reading, what is the inside reading, what is the temp setting reading?? The Hydro Hot should kick in IF your Temp set point (ie., how warm ya want) is warmer than the corresponding Inside Temp reading. If the temp ya want (set point) isn't warmer than the "Inside Temp" reading the burner won't turn on until that "Inside Temp" is cooler (I think by at least 2 or 3 degrees) than the "Set Temp" you've set. If ya want that zone to heat up, and your "Set Temp" is less than the "Inside Temp" reading, adjust your "Set Temp" to a warmer setting than the "Inside Reading" (+ 2 or 3 degrees/or warmer).

Now ya need to do this for EACH zone in your rig once you've selected "Boiler/Burner" and "Heat" for each zone. That is, however, IF ya want to run heater in each of the other zones.

Similarly, if ya move to warm/hot country and want Air Conditioning ya shut off (de-select) Boiler/Burner and, rather than select "Heat" you'd select A/C and adjust desired temps.

It's tough trying to help when we don't know the control panel system you have in your Dutch Star, but we had an 06 Mtn. Aire, and believe it was likely similar.

Now I aplogize if ya already are aware of how this whole system works, as I certainly don't mean to "talk down" to ya!! If ya already KNOW how it all works, and the Hydro Hot still isn't working, then we go to a whole different approach.

Let us know what kind of control panel ya have, and whether you're familiar with, and comfortable with operating that panel.

Steve & Lynette
Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I have a duo Therm thermostat that has 4 modes and controls 2 zones.
1. Fan only
2. AC
3. Heat Pump
4. Furnace

The Fan, AC and Heat Pump work but the furnace won't work.

The Hydo Hot is outside and runs on diesel for hot water only, I think. I also have the choice to turn the hot water on using electricity. No propane hot water heater.

I have looked in the compartments and do not see a furnace. I have looked at the furnace vents inside the motorhome and they are have a a small metal box (12"wide x 8" tall x 8" deep) and have a couple of small fans in them and hooked up to it looks like in and out water lines.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bmoore_50,
Consider looking at Chickadee's post. I will turn you over to those that have a Hydro-Hot setup.

My only shot in the dark (but it is simple and cheap to do). Because you have two units on the roof, you may want to try turning the rear unit to the off position. Put the front unit on furnace. Turn up the temp and see what happens. Don't forget to wait at least 5 minutes in case there is a time out wait period.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

If you have the hydro hot system you do not have a furnace...you have a series of heat exchangers strategically placed throughout the coach. The hydro hot (aqua hot) system provides the heat and the blowers (heat exchangers) flow the air into the coach. On mine the electric element will not keep up with the heat demand in colder environments so you need to use the diesel configuration.
Just above the metal enclosure of your hydro hot is a panel with a series of written notations and LED's indicating if OK (green light) or Bad (red light) check those out and see if any are BAD...I can't remember if there is a reset button or not.
Check these things out and let me know...I have a manual that I can read or if necessary I'll go down to my M/H and checkout the panel.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #11

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

ALSO check the Boiler Anti Freeze level...if it is too low furnace heating system will not work. I went to my motor home and there is one reset button for low battery status. On my status panel it is easier to see the status lights from the adjacent bay due to the angle. Hope this helps.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do any of your component's look like this picture.

This LINK will give you instructions on how it should work.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is a AQUA HOT SYSTEM

This link is for the AQUA HOT system.

THIS LINK IS FOR YOUR DUO- THERM CONTROL OPERATION

BOTH OF THESE SYSTEMS SUPPLY YOU HEAT FOR YOUR COACH AND HOT WATER

Which ever system you have follow Chickadee's instructions for starters.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well folks I have to say that with all your help we finally have heat. Itwas the Hydro Hot as my furnace. I turned the electric water off because it was pulling to may amps and I wasn't using the hot water but after reading your posts " Happy times are here again" temperature front and back is 68 degrees.

Thank you for all your help. Another lessoned learned on the new motorhome.

2005 Dutch Star 3815